Unistar Deluxe - WOW!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi All,

I recently had the opportunity to pick up a unistar deluxe with encoders that was less than a year old on Amart. I mounted it on top of a Oberwerk tripod (Blem for $150), affixed my Meade 8 inch ACF SCT and placed it outside to cool.

Once everything cooled down I threw in the 21 MM ES 100 and started to scan around. After about 10 minutes I almost forgot I was looking thru a telescope. The whole Unistar mount glided around the sky like I was just standing there looking around. The mount and tripod simply disappeared and I just panned around the night sky.

I have never had the experience of simply forgetting about the mount and tripod and just looking around...too cool.

As far as the Unistar Deluxe, what a beautiful piece of engineering and construction that works flawlessly.

The oberwerk blem tripod is just a steel for the $150 you can get them for at Bigbinoculars.com . They said it was a blem but DW and I cannot find a blem one on it.

#2 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Glad to hear you're liking your new mount, Dan. I've had a Unistar Deluxe for 6 or 7 years now, and just like you, picked up a second one with encoders a few weeks ago. Mine is hooked up to a Sky Commander XP4 computer, which I really like, although I've only had a chance to use it once so far, given a combination of too many other obligations and inclement weather so far this winter. While I like star-hopping to targets, sometimes I don't have a whole lot of time to observe, and DSCs really help me to make the most of my observing time during those nights.

#3 TomBot2000

TomBot2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR, 97212

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Super curious: how are the encoders mated to this mount? Any chance someone could post a picture showing them? Very compact and very clean mount. Great choice.

#4 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I got a Unistar Deluxe a year ago to use with my heavy as a stock C9.25. It's on a Sokkia tripod. I've been using it on planets with my 24 Brandon barlowed to 250X-340X. Tracking and carrying the scope on the mount are both very easy. David

#5 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

It is an extremely clean mount. On mine they are all mounted internal. Here are some picts

Attached Files

#6 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

another pict

Attached Files

#7 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

One More

Attached Files

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nice pics! My encoders are mounted the same way.

#9 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I just think it is an amazing mount.

It worked so smoothly and seamlessly. It was like the telescope was weightless and just floating in air. The part that really impressed me was once balanced and set, with the slightest of touch, the scope would just glide to where I wanted it then just float there.

It was like the mount and tripod were not even there.

I would think that is the highest praise for a mount...it just disappeared and I was lost in the views.

#10 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I am glad to hear that you really like your UA Unistar deluxe mount. I own three UA altaz mounts and use them with my Meade 8" and 12" SCT's and my C14. I don't have the tracking, but star hop to my targets with the finder scope and some 10x50 binoculars and the S+T pocket sky atlas. I use both a Meade giant tripod and also a Celestron CGE tripod for the larger scopes. I also have a UA medium surveyor tripod for my 4.5" refractor and the M8. They are a good deal for the money

Bill

#11 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Does the Unistar Deluxe fit a CG-4 tripod (1.75 inch stainless steel legs)?

#12 TomBot2000

TomBot2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR, 97212

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

i am still wondering exactly how the rotary encoders are actually attached to the unistar. any chance you could pop photograph that? if it's complicated, just skip it, thanks. however, if it's at all like my microstar, its just a plastic cover and inside is a threaded rod, which is what i'm wondering about (how do encoders mech with a simple rod inside there). anyway thanks either way.
t

#13 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Does the Unistar Deluxe fit a CG-4 tripod (1.75 inch stainless steel legs)?

Yes. Here's a picture of my first Unistar showing how the tripod mounting post is machined to fit around the polar stud of an Orion SVP tripod (same as CG-4).

Attached Files

#14 Larry Patriarca

Larry Patriarca

Vendor (Universal Astronomics)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

For the UniStar, the azimuth encoder is a direct drive fitted on the end of the azimuth bolt. The altitude encoder is mounted to a bracket, and the threaded shaft and the encoder shaft are fitted with the same gear. The bracket is "sprung" a little bit to ensure a constant mesh and no slop. With no backlash, the 1 to 1 gearing is as good as direct drive.

For the MicroStar, both encoders are done similar to the UniStar altitude encoder, bracketed and geared 1 to 1.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics