Photo

New Perspectives on Newtonian Collimation

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Just bought this book. Ever since I changed my spider and secondary on my 12.5" dob 2 weeks ago I have had an ongoing pain in the rear with collimating it. Every time I get it aligned one edge of the mirror disappears. I adjusted my mirrors and focuser like a demon...even wore out a screw holding the focuser on and had to buy a new one. I just read to chapter 4 in this book...2 times...then a third with my telescope making the adjustments as I came to them in the reading. Almost without effort everything fell into place...no cut off edge...all concentric. On this forum I have seen Vic and Jason patiently guide frustrated newbies...including me...sometimes to little or no avail. This book made it clear to me immediately with no question. Good job Vic. This was the best money I spent on my telescope. If your having trouble with collimation just read it. I feel almost stupid it was so simple to correct.

#2 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Good post Atl. New Perspectives is a great little book. Lots of great information on collimation, and just the right size to keep in an accessory case--which is where mine stays, so it's handy when I need it.

Vic and Jason have indeed been a great deal of help in demystifying a process that looks harder than it really is, and explaining how it all works. They do us all a great service.

#3 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

:rainbow: :flower: :thanx:

#4 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

May I ask where you bought the book from? I struggled with my collimation and after reading Jason and Vic's posts here especially the pictures I was able to get a perfect collimation with my XT8. I would like to learn more so I can help others at my local club who have difficulty.

Thanks Ken

#5 rlmxracer

rlmxracer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Motocross Mecca (Riverside) , CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Jason and Vic led me out of the collimation woods. I owe many thanks to them and others who chimed in. I just recieved my Catseye Infinity XLK autocollimator yesterday and look forward to finally getting it perfect. Only problem is I'm due for yet another week of clouds :foreheadslap:.

#6 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

May I ask where you bought the book from?

http://bit.ly/14uVf2F
:applause:

#7 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

May I ask where you bought the book from?

http://bit.ly/14uVf2F
:applause:

:crazy: :o :grin:

#8 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good post Atl. New Perspectives is a great little book. Lots of great information on collimation, and just the right size to keep in an accessory case--which is where mine stays, so it's handy when I need it.

Vic and Jason have indeed been a great deal of help in demystifying a process that looks harder than it really is, and explaining how it all works. They do us all a great service.

+1

Props too to Don Pensack, aka Starman1.

#9 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I understood that! My question was did the person by directly from Vic's site? I would like to give the original author the most royalty's from the sale as possible. Since his time and effort went into the book.

Thank you though for your response.

Ken

#10 CatseyeMan

CatseyeMan

Vendor (Cats Eye Collimation)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison, AL USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

With the publication of the 5th Edition in which I was able to contribute with my expertise with the PovRay scneario graphics illustrations to compliment his text, Vic graciously offered and authorized me to be the exclusive distributor for his wonderful booklet.

Order Vic's book Here

#11 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

It's a must have for newtonian owners.

#12 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thank you Jim,
I just ordered the book today. I am looking forward to reading it.

Ken

#13 CatseyeMan

CatseyeMan

Vendor (Cats Eye Collimation)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison, AL USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank you Jim,
I just ordered the book today. I am looking forward to reading it.

Ken

Ships Today! :jump:

#14 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Great News!
:bow:

#15 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Aurora

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments and support.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (in another collimation thread), the fifth edition of New Perspectives... is the result of forum contributions by members like you. These threads provided the foundations for the fifth edition. There's also the incredible graphic contributions by Jim Fly and Jason Khadder (and more than a few "kick-in-the-pants" motivational correspondences from Jim to get the finished booklet published!)

Hearing success stories from Cloudy Nights members like you makes my day!

:like: (a lot!)

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Vic has held my hand more than once leading me through the woods of misunderstanding. Sometimes it took a :slap: to get me to see the issue properly.

I recently went back and re-read New Perspectives again, and I can honestly say it was the first time I understood everything completely and even thought about a few things I think he'd left out.
[Vic, I'll send you an email one day soon when I get my head out from under SEO changes to my website.]

But OMG, what did we do back in the days before Vic and Jason and Jim Fly and Howie Glatter and Tectron, etc.? I even read their names on Australian, British, French and German Forum sites (and hosts of special interest groups). The collimation gurus we have among us are world-renowned!
:bow:

I've noticed even the manufacturers of telescopes are paying attention and making their scopes more dimensionally stable to hold collimation better.

#17 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Aurora

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

...I recently went back and re-read New Perspectives again, and I can honestly say it was the first time I understood everything completely and even thought about a few things I think he'd left out.
[Vic, I'll send you an email one day soon when I get my head out from under SEO changes to my website.]

That's why I have an addendum website (plus, it's impossible to include animations in a book!) I've been thinking about providing additional information on alignment (and misalignment) signatures and their relative sensitivity to alignment errors, including both "passive" and laser signatures.

...I've noticed even the manufacturers of telescopes are paying attention and making their scopes more dimensionally stable to hold collimation better.

As they say, "The cat is out of the bag." As manufacturers push focal ratios ever shorter, maintaining axial tolerances will require diligence to minimize mechanical stability issues and ensure optimal performance.

#18 precaud

precaud

Surveyor 1

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I've been thinking about providing additional information on alignment (and misalignment) signatures and their relative sensitivity to alignment errors, including both "passive" and laser signatures.

Boy that would be incredible if you could do that.

#19 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I have the Third Edition (didn't know there was now a Fifth) from 1991. A long time! When I collimate a Newtonian, I've often wondered why some enterprising garage machinist doesn't invent a better spider.

Edited to add:

After posting the preceding, it occurred to me that maybe I was ignorant of new hi-tech spiders. After all, my "newest" Newtonian dates from 1978. What I see online from Protostar and Astrosystems are essentially the spiders we had 60 years ago! You turn tiny collimation screws (the "modern" upgrade is hex-head screws), then run to the eyepiece end to see what the effect was. The final adjustment usually requires physically twisting the secondary holder. One of my scopes has a Novak spider whose hub is unthreaded. The shaft of the secondary holder is held by a nut at each end, but the essential fit is loose, and there's lots of play in the alignment. What a mess!

#20 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thank you Vic & Jim! I just ordered the 5th. edition and look forward to reading and learning. Thank you especially for your willingness to share your hard earned knowledge so freely.

Mike

#21 MDB

MDB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I forgot, thank you too Alt for the thread and bringing the new edition to our attention.

Mike

#22 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have the Third Edition (didn't know there was now a Fifth) from 1991. A long time! When I collimate a Newtonian, I've often wondered why some enterprising garage machinist doesn't invent a better spider.

Edited to add:

After posting the preceding, it occurred to me that maybe I was ignorant of new hi-tech spiders. After all, my "newest" Newtonian dates from 1978. What I see online from Protostar and Astrosystems are essentially the spiders we had 60 years ago! You turn tiny collimation screws (the "modern" upgrade is hex-head screws), then run to the eyepiece end to see what the effect was. The final adjustment usually requires physically twisting the secondary holder. One of my scopes has a Novak spider whose hub is unthreaded. The shaft of the secondary holder is held by a nut at each end, but the essential fit is loose, and there's lots of play in the alignment. What a mess!

Well, if you go to the StarStructure Yahoo Group and look in the Photos section, look at pics of the Axial Slide Hub.

#23 Atl

Atl

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Now that I understand the basic process there is another activity I can engage in when it is daytime or cloudy...use my autocollimator to see how tight I can get it. That seems to be a fun thing in it's own right...at least for nerdy types like me.

#24 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Now that I understand the basic process there is another activity I can engage in when it is daytime or cloudy...use my autocollimator to see how tight I can get it. That seems to be a fun thing in it's own right...at least for nerdy types like me.

Once you get the hang of it, collimation really is an enjoyable chore to do.

#25 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I agree. Once it clicks it's a fairly easy task with the right tools. I only wish I could see those darn extra images more clearly through my autocollimator!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics