"Saturn" - Arrgh!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

OK, this is not a book review; but I just had to tell this.

I was up at Lowell today to see the "Mars 3D" exhibit (which was pretty cool).
They were clearing out a few books at half price, so I bought "Saturn: Exploring the Mystery of the Ringed Planet" by Nicole Mortillaro (Firefly 2010). It's a very nicely-bound coffee table book of 97 pages, with a lot of great pictures. I bought it mainly for the great pics of Titan. I haven't read it yet, just skimmed it a little.

So, I'm looking at two strip pictures on page 49: one of Titan from the surface, one of Neil Armstrong on the Moon next to the flag (the same picture as in Pete's {Azure} avatar). And what do I see in the caption, after some verbage about mankind dreaming of being on another planet:

"But then on July 22, 1968, most of the residents of the Earth watched, mesmerized, as Neil Armstrong became the first human ever to set foot on another world. Another 16 men followed in his footsteps."

Good Lord! This was the one single paragraph I've read in the book, and there's literally nothing in it that's correct! Is this how well Firefly normally edits their books? I don't think I'm going to bother with the rest of the text; luckily it's mostly pictures!

#2 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

"But then on July 22, 1968, most of the residents of the Earth watched, mesmerized, as Neil Armstrong became the first human ever to set foot on another world. Another 16 men followed in his footsteps."

:tonofbricks: :foreheadslap: :tonofbricks:

Stephan

#3 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

I was up at Lowell today to see the "Mars 3D" exhibit (which was pretty cool).

So Rick, please tell us about the Mars 3D exhibit. Is something available online that those of us living at a distance from Flagstaff can view? How about starting a thread on the exhibit. After all, exhibits are a form of stellar media.
:jump: :jump: :jump:

#4 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Bob,

There's not much to tell. It's a room with a lot of very large pictures set up, that are in 3-D when you use the red/blue glasses. The pictures are probably about six by eight feet each, and there are about ten or twelve of them. There's an informational kiosk thing next to each one, with a descriptive paragraph and a topo Mars image showing the location. Then, there's a topo Mars map at the beginning with all the locations shown.

It's pretty much the same exhibit they had in 2008, with the addition of a short, silent video in the small theatre (small = family room sized), and this was 3-D panning over two areas, flying over some crater and Hebes Chasma. It was made from Mars Express imagry. It lasted about 5 minutes.

The whole thing is fun, but mainly geared toward people who had never seen such a thing before; school kids, etc. A static educational exhibit, not high-tech entertainment. But it was fun. Lowell doesn't have a lot of money for flashy interactive stuff; but it was well set up, and the big images were very cool in 3-D.

I was the only one there.

#5 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Ha,

I just bought a book on Saturn today - recv'd a 'gift $ card' to Powells our massive bookstore here (I have friends that are 'enablelers' to my book problem). Is this the one? Great pictures! But nothing in the details like the NASA "Pioneer Venus" book. There was one I didn't buy but may return tomorrow to nab...

[afterthought edit - this is my haul from todays trip]

Attached Files

#6 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Viking 1

• Loc: Saugus, MA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

So, I'm looking at two strip pictures on page 49: one of Titan from the surface, one of Neil Armstrong on the Moon next to the flag (the same picture as in Pete's {Azure} avatar). And what do I see in the caption, after some verbage about mankind dreaming of being on another planet:

Err.. Rick,that's Buzz Aldrin in Pete's avatar. :grin:

#7 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Jim,

Yep, that's the Saturn book. Good pictures, though.

John,

Figures!
The paragraph actually reads "... as Neil Armstrong became the first human to ever set foot on another world (far right).", indicating the picture.

I recalled seeing a video clip in "Shadow of the Moon" with Armstrong talking to President Nixon, and remembered the scene looking just like that picture, with Armstrong standing next to the flag, seen from the side. So I didn't bother to check on that. Serves me right. :p

#8 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Lately I've been on the lookout for 'planetary' books that are more picture oriented... nice color pictures. I ditched nearly all texts and books I had when Voyagers started returning all the amazing imagry... recently realized that I'd only kept one or two for 'before' reference. One old book I kept was Jacksons 'Pictoral Guide to the Planets' revised and expanded version, fwd by Sagan c1973, it includes up to Pioneer 10, Mariner 9.

Looking through the book last night, more at the images and not as much the text was really enjoyable, worth the price of the ticket ;) Nice mix of Hubble, Cassini, Voyager images... many are hauntingly beautiful. Just what the doctor ordered.

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Jim,
That book on volcanoes is outstanding.

#10 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Preston - I agree! It's taking a bit of time to read and digest as volcanism isn't something I've read about before. Have to admit I wasn't interested in until I was standing in the aisle at the bookstore and kept seeing things that went way up on 'very interesting' scale between the covers of this. I'm in chapter 4 today. The 2 chapters(chapt's 3 and 4) on the earths moon are really outstanding and I'm looking forward to the rest! Mount St. Helens not far from here...

About the Saturn book, I finished reading it quickly - no fact checking on my part but have to say it was engrossing with all the amazing images to support the text, very much a sort of 'picture book' but a lot in there about what contributed to them and how. Though done reading it, I keep it handy and keep looking at the images, there are many and they are very, very nice. :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics