• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Last night I had first light with a new TMB Planetary in 7mm. Southern California had a clear cool night with decent viewing and I was able to compare it to my modest collection.
I tested it on Jupiter and M42 and against a Baader Hyperion 5mm in my Dob-mounted Orion 8" Newtonian.
The TMB compared very favorably. The 58 degree TMB can't equal the 68 degree Baader and the magnifications aren't exactly the same, but side by side the TMB easily holds its own.
Both eyepieces seemed to have similar slight color fringes near the edge of the field of view. Both were clear and sharp. I may have been able to detect slightly more detail in Jupiter's banding with the TMB. Both showed nice fine details in M42.
About the only interesting difference was a slight "internal reflection" with the TMB which seemed to actually be a reflection from inside my eye, judging by the way it moved, though this was not distracting enough to warrant any more than a passing mention.
Since the cost is dramatically lower ($40 vs $130) and the size and weight is also different (Baader's 14.7 oz vs 5 oz. for the TMB) I would easily recommend this for anyone considering it.

Blaine Hebert

#2 Hermie

Hermie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cloudy HKG

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Congratulations on the eyepiece! The TMBs are excellent value.

The reflection would indeed be from your eye because Jupiter is just so bright. I think all longer ER eyepieces do this, including my Pentax XW.

Hermie

#3 drbyyz

drbyyz

Ranger 4

• **---

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

I get the same reflection issue when observing Jupiter in almost any eyepiece. It was distracting at first by I've found that if you move your eye to just the right position it leaves the FOV and isn't a problem.

My 8mm TMB should be arriving today, looking forward to first light for it, but seeing has been atrocious here lately...CSC is white for days and anything over 100x has been pretty futile lately. Lately I've felt I'd have better luck seeing bands on Jupiter with the naked eye!

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Indeed the TMB planetary eyepieces are very good eyepieces, especially in light of the price. I use mine to do high power observing of the planets and double stars. Over time it became clear they have less internal scatter than Orion Stratuses do. I have used a 4mm TMB planetary to observe Mars during a period of good seeing with the 15-inch, and at 500X the view was sharp and amazingly detailed even though the planet was at best 9 arc-seconds across. They are perfectly capable of giving a good view through a F/4.5 telescope.

Taras

#5 photiost

photiost

Apollo

• Loc: La Belle Province, Canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Congrats on the 7mm TMB.

I started out with the 7mm liked it so much that I found a used 9mm and bought that one as well.

I now have the complete set of TMB's from 4mm to 9mm :jump:

Excellent value, great views.

-

#6 SpaceRooster

SpaceRooster

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Got mine yesterday and am looking forward to first light as well. Jupiter should be gorgeous tonight if the winds die down.

#7 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Blaine,

I have the 7mm TMB II and find it very comfortable to use, and very good for the price. I use it on double stars more than I do planets with the 10".

In a 5" SCT I like it for bright globulars, and for bright planetary nebulae with a UHC filter.

Congrats!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics