Any good camera binoculars?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cobra_fat

cobra_fat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

I see many 7X25s that are very cheap, but probably no good. Does anyone have experience with good ones?

Talking about cheap:

For my 8th grade science project in 1963, I took a photo of the north star thru military 7X50 binoculars with a Brownie box camera taped to one eyepiece.

I put this on a small tripod and braced it so it would not move. I put a piece of cardboard over the camera side of the binoculars. The Brownie shutter stayed open as long as the control was pressed, so I tapped that down also.

I started the exposure by removing the cardboard. Before sunrise I replaced the cardboard and released the shutter. I got a 12 hour exposure.

I remember it was 620 film (12 exposures). I took it to the drug store and told the guy to develop them no matter how bad they looked.

The photo were amazingly good. There was a half circle of stars around the north star and the north star itself was making a tiny half circle. There were several meteor trails visible.

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

It's one thing to put a camera up to a binocular's eyepiece and shoot through the bino; it's another thing altogether to take photos through a "camera binocular" which is really a cheap bino wrapped around a cheap long focus digital camera. The camera does not shoot through the optics of the bino; instead, the camera has its own lens so it's just hitchin' a ride on the bino.

I don't know if a "quality" camera/bino is out there somewhere; I doubt it as they are low-end gimmicks as far as I can tell.

Rich

#3 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

From De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars:

"13. WE LOVE OUR GADGETS

Many of us tend to believe the more stuff one can have crammed into a single instrument the more attractive it should be. Sadly, nothing is farther from the truth. Although, if things continue to progress as they are now, in a few years binoculars will feature cappuccino machines and home entertainment centers.

The current craze is to have a binocular with a built-in camera. But, should these really be desirable? Not unless you consider the instrument disposable, an investment for, perhaps, one vacation. Please note that many of these little jewels cost less than an inexpensive binocular and an inexpensive digital camera purchased separately! What should that tell you? Many are out of alignment right from the factory and are almost NEVER worth the cost of a meaningful repair by a qualified tech . . . even if you could find one. That, of course, takes us to . . ."

BillC

#4 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think you're better off with a birding binocular that has some sort of fixture for digiscoping. The top brands have this now. Holding a camera to a more ordinary binocular gives difficulties in obtaining an even image quality on all sides, as the attached example shows.

Attached Files

#5 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I don't know if a "quality" camera/bino is out there somewhere; I doubt it as they are low-end gimmicks as far as I can tell.

Rich

http://store.sony.co...talogId=1055...

#6 brentwood

brentwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: BC Canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yes, those Sony look really nice, but I notice that they only go up to 3D, I was hoping for 4D!

#7 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

They are 4D as far as I can see.

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm waiting until the 5D versions become available before taking a look at them!

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I wasn't joking. 3D = space; the 4th dimension is time, therefore 3D video = 4D.

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I wasn't joking either,Mark.

The 5th.dimension is smell.

#11 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I have a great pair of "scratch and sniff" binos that I'll sell you real cheap, Kenny....

#12 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for your kind offer,Jim,but all the scratch and sniff models I've tried thus far have fallen well short of expectations based on pre-sales pitch.

In any case(even the soft plastic variety)I'm waiting for a model that,for example,if viewing a pile of horse manure from 600 yards distance,automatically transfers the aroma of the pile through the eyepieces as it photographs it.

Kenny

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics