• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

The local time is about 4:30 PM as I write this, I've just put the OTA out to cool, my wife has promised to take care of the children tonight despite her really having some work to do (to be posponed until Saturday), and the forcast is for clear weather tonight :).

Tonight will be the first proper chance for observing I've had for about a month now, and I just had to tell someone! :grin:

I'm in the suburbs, so tonight will be mostly about Jupiter.

Soon I will make dinner, and then after that finally get my long overdue astro-fix. I can already feel my blood pressure return to healthy levels and my body relax a bit...

Thank you for letting me share. :cool:

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Enjoy!!!!! I'm Jealous.

#3 rinalmj

rinalmj

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxonburg, PA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Good for you - enjoy!

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hello.....Weather Central...We've got a problem.....Please reprogram the Finland weather sattelite for clouds and rain.....

Whew, for a second there you had a chance, then you had to go online and let Cloudy Nights know......(Cloudy Nights is a subsidiary of Weather Central, and is the default setting for the system)

#5 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Done for the evening.

After a three hour session, I was starting to feel pretty cold, and the eyepieces started to fog up a bit too easily unless I was really careful about not exhaling in the wrong direction. The temperature had dropped to -7 deg. C by the time I came in.

Jupiter was beautifully located, crossing the meridian early during my observing. At about 9 local time, Europa appeared on one limb of Jupiter (not sure if she was appearing from behind him, or is she had been in front), and a short while later i saw the GRS coming round on the other limb.

The seeing was semi-decent considering my location (coldish weather, and being surrounded by heated houses), and during moments of steady air, I could see nice details on the bands. Mostly, however, only the equatorial bands and the NTB were clear, while the STB appeared very pale to me, and often hard to make out.

I briefly visited Orions sword, and also used binoculars on the Pleiades, but all in all this session was about casual viewing of Jupiter, and as such a really nice way to start the weekend, and just relax, and let the worries and stress of the working week disappear.

Instruments used were a 130 mm refractor with a binoviewer, used at a magnification of about 120 x, and 20x77 mounted binoculars (briefly).

A big "thank you" to my dear wife, for giving me this opportunity to observe, despite her really having more important work (the kind that pays the bills) to do, than looking after the kids tonight.

#6 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm happy to see someone with clear skies for evening sky viewing! :waytogo:

Jim :dob:

#7 Saint Aardvark

Saint Aardvark

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm deeply envious. It was the first clear night here in three weeks -- and then the fog rolled in. I think I'm going to practice my starhopping in Stellarium. :bawling:

#8 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

tonight was the best night I've had this year. It's still wonderful out there. I have to be up early though. Clear skies to all...

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Glad your first light went well. We had clear skies, but the air was so turbulant the stars were like sparklers.....

#10 100MPG

100MPG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island NY

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

it is only clear when I have to work the next day....and I have not been working much lately at all. Congrats to you!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics