• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dkb

dkb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

There was a study done that showed African dung beetles used the Milky Way itself for guidance. Without the Milky Way the dung beetles went in circles. With the Milky Way they roll the dung away in straight lines. It is important for them to roll the dung away from the dung pile in a straight line as quickly as possible otherwise they are likely to lose the ball to competitors, possibly preventing that beetle from reproducing. This was tested by putting little visors on the beetles to keep them from seeing the sky and also inside a planetarium where they altered the Milky Way and star patterns to confirm this finding.

This is the first time I heard of any organism using the Milky Way for guidance. Considering how easily the Milky Way disappears with light pollution this is very valuable information.

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Somehow I don’t think that the navagation problems of African Dung Beetles will be of much interest to the folks who dominate my local government councils.

....but it is cool to know.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Maybe the Dung Beetles aren't as full of it as government? :lol:

The Dung Beetles are organized and put things in straight lines; government prefers the fan method......

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Just a friendly reminder to keep this thread on track; and not go down the political road. This is the description of the LP Forum:

While CN does not typically allow politics, this is one forum in which the discussion of legislation dealing with this matter is permitted.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics