SCT Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make Schmidt Cassagrain binoculars. Ive been contemplating building some out of two C11's or two C8's using maybe 3 diagonals for each scope.to get the inner pupil distance adjustable. Myself and some friends are gonna experiment with this idea in the coming weeks because we have all the scopes and parts to give it a try. Anyone ever try this before?

...Ralph

#2 mumbles

mumbles

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adirondacks

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

sounds pretty cool actually lol

#3 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Back in the '80s (or was it the '70s?) there was a piece in an issue of Sky&Telescope magazine featuring an amateur's just such effort using a pair of 5 or 6 inch SCTs. Another fellow had done this with a pair of C90s. So it's definitely do-able.

Incidentally, I make binos, too... Check out some pics in my Gallery, linked to in my sig below.

#4 Edwin

Edwin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Someone on a dutch forum has made a C11 bino:

http://www.astroforu...-Hij-is-af-!...

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make Schmidt Cassagrain binoculars. Ive been contemplating building some out of two C11's or two C8's using maybe 3 diagonals for each scope.to get the inner pupil distance adjustable. Myself and some friends are gonna experiment with this idea in the coming weeks because we have all the scopes and parts to give it a try. Anyone ever try this before?

...Ralph

People have tried this with varying success. Aligning the images properly is tough. IN addition to rigging up something to allow alignment of eyepices and interpupillary spacking, just a little mirror flop will ruin the show. My advice? Invest in a good binoviewer instead.

#6 psi_chemie

psi_chemie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Leawood, KS, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I wonder this too. I thought 2 C6s for $400 each from Explore Scientific could be mounted each on a bracket type thing some kind of axial adjustment and each bracket on a sliding adjustment, that way you could align each tube precisely.

#7 StarWrangler

StarWrangler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Norm Butler did,

I think he is a member at Cloudy Nights,

and he was featured in Sky & Telescome and the old Telescope making magazine some years ago.

Alan O.

#8 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

I have full access to a machine shop and all the parts I need to try this out, once the weather clears up, I'll be trying it with two C8 XLT's first. It could be fun!!

.....Ralph

#9 Eigen

Eigen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

I have full access to a machine shop and all the parts I need to try this out, once the weather clears up, I'll be trying it with two C8 XLT's first. It could be fun!!

.....Ralph

Be sure to keep us in the loop, I am quite interested in how you will tackle the project.

If possible, a build log/thread would be great.

#10 aa6ww

aa6ww

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well, i just tried three 2" everbrite diagonals on my C11. with a 26 nagler and the scope came to focus with no issues. Its too cloudy outside but looking at some distant trees, eveything looked excellent. Theres still plenty of focus it just looks kinda odd off the back of the scope.

I'm wondering why some people are really against this?

...Ralph

#11 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I don't think anyone is against it, go ahead and have fun. I was an active telescope maker for 30 years and I considered building a binoscope on'n off for many years, but I never could come up with a way of aligning the optics with the simple tools that I have. In the end, binoviewers turned out to be an elegant and simple solution.

Have fun!

#12 StarWrangler

StarWrangler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Three Rivers, MI U.S.A>

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Here You Go,

Norm Buttler

http://davetrott.com...big-binoculars/

Alan O.

Cloudy Nights LLC