Any Binotrons delivered yet ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I've been wanting a set of binoviewers and recently came into a bit of cash. I was zeroing in on some Denk II's but with the recent release of the Binotrons I'm thinking about them. I've kept an eye open but haven't heard much. I'm a little leary of buying 'just released' products & have no desire to be a alpha or beta tester. Anyone have hands on a set of production Binotrons? Am I being too concerned about 'just released' binotrons? Any known reason not to go ahead and click the 'buy' button?

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't think any have shipped yet, but I could be wrong.

#3 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I was told 4-6 weeks when I ordered on Jan 15. Should be here just in time for better weather.(Or more likely a March blizzard)

Eric

#4 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to order, Russ said he put a little extra polish on the first batch of prisms to make sure they exceed 1/8 wave - sounds good to me! :cool:

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

These are evolutionary not revolutionary so first ones not likely to have issues (compared to revolutionary ones - never been done before).

#6 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I put my order in a few weeks ago and hope to have them soon. Like one said earlier, maybe get them when the weathers better.

Russ seems determined to get this first batch perfect before they leave the shop. That is what he said in an e-mail to me just after I pressed the buy button.

I would think the same as others before have said. Since this is the first batch Denkimer wants to roll out the best product they can. Nothing will kill a new product than a batch of bad first off the line items. So I have confidence in them.

I am excited! Once I receive them, and if they meet my standards I will be putting my Denk II Super Systems up for sale on the CN Classifieds to help offset this purchase.

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Any idea when the 30 day introductory offer ends ?

#8 wcastleman

wcastleman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Website has photo of Russ Lederman and shows one of first Binotron-27's shipped January 31, 2013.

#9 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I just got a note from Russ that mine shipped today - so hopefully I'll have them for the weekend! :jump:

#10 wcastleman

wcastleman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I just got a note from Russ that mine shipped today - so hopefully I'll have them for the weekend! :jump:

Congratulations! What date did you order yours?

#11 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio (NW)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

What was your order number?

#12 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

What was your order number?

2-5-13 #2094

#13 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I ordered mine on the 23rd of January. I don't have an order number, I just spoke with Russ and he said he would get them to me ASAP. I was really expecting a longer wait. Russ was super helpful, as I don't know much about binoviewers. I do have some Burgess bins I've used for solar viewing, but I wanted a better quality set. I also ordered the Denk 21's, the larger OCS upgrade and a solar cell for my Coronado. I'm guessing I should have them by Friday so I will post a first impression review then. I'm excited to give them a try!

#14 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I guess because you ordered all the extras that maybe its not "first come first served" understandable though. Anyway I see no good weather in the near future and they will come in due time. Looking forward to your report if the weather holds out for you.

Eric

#15 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio (NW)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ha, My order is 2093 from Feb 4. I too had the larger OCS and filter holder. No eyepieces or solar filter included. I have heard nothing from Denk regarding fulfillment of order.

#16 wcastleman

wcastleman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I just got off the phone with Russ Lederman. He indicated that there is a delay on Binotron orders with filter holders. Additional machining and anodizing on filter holders translates to a probable March completion on my order placed January 28.

#17 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Just got home to find my Binotrons waiting for me. I'll try to get them out in the next couple of days to try them out and report back. But first impression is WOW! They are great looking and the machining on the parts looks first rate. I love the solid feel, but they are not too heavy. The case it comes in is really impressive too. You can tell Russ really cares about his product. If they work as good as they look I am in for a treat! :jump:

#18 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Wow,they went from N.Y. to your doorstep in Hawaii in less than 48hrs? Hope you get a chance to use them soon.

Eric

#19 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

There are aspects which can be assessed indoors, and most others on the scope during the day. It's not necessary at all to wait for a clear night in order to tell just about all one needs to know about performance.

#20 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

It's not necessary at all to wait for a clear night in order to tell just about all one needs to know about performance.

Glenn, anything in particular that might not be as obvious as ability to achieve focus or merge images?

Eric

#21 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

You could look at any reasonably contrasty daytime scene at a sufficient distance to reach focus. You could then assess such things as vignetting, collimation adjustment, light scatter/reflections, etc.

#22 Mauikj

Mauikj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Aloha Everyone,

Got my Binotrons with the power switch, a pair of 21 denks, and the upgraded OCS on Wednesday and had a chance to do a few checks on them today - here what I have:

First fit and finish - a 10 for sure. They look great, feel great in you hands, and all the adjustments work smoothly. Everything seems really well made and well thought out. I have some cheap binos I bought a few years back which is all I have to compare them to (and I never used the other ones much as they had terrible image quality) and they are like night and day.

The Sun: It was pretty windy, and I did not have the best viewing area, but the sun looked great. I've read about difficulty merging images, and sometime it was tough with my other bins but did not have any trouble at all. I adjusted the binos to fit my eyes, adjusted the (very well marked) diopter adjustment and the sun was perfect. I was impressed that there was no scattered light or glow around the suns limb as this is obvious in my cheap binos. Can't wait to try them under better conditions. Oh I could not get enough back focus with my Coronado unless the power switch was on the lowest setting. Not really an issue for me as that is the perfect power for the sun. I think my Takahashi 130 will be OK as it has lots more back focus, but I have not tried it yet.

Celestron 8 daylight: Everything worked like a charm. Crisp, merged, images and sharp edge to edge. I tried all 3 power settings and it worked great. Cant wait to check out Jupiter tonight.

I'll post more when I get to really test them on my dob and refractor, but all indications are they are really first rate. Can't wait to hear about others experiences.

KJ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics