•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OCEANSIDE OBSERVING

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lexington, KY

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Where, along the Gulf Coast or along the south Atlantic seaboard, have you found a place which fits some/most/all of the following:
- accessible
- free/inexpensive
- dark sky
- safe
- one can sit in a lawn chair on the beach and watch the night sky grow peacefully and beautifully dark

Otto

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Hubble

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Drive about 1,000 miles west.

#3 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sanibel Island near "Ding" Darling Nat Wildlife Refuge (NWR), off the southwest FL gulf coast - I saw 2001 Leonids from hotel lawn chair carried over to beach near edge of refuge, the 2-story construction limit and limited lighting makes for a pretty nice sky at least on outer part of Sanibel.

I haven't been to Dry Totugas or outermost Keys but they are supposed to be even darker.

Maybe (long time since I visited) the more remote Outer Banks of NC; or the MD-VA Assateague NWR. Many of the NWR (not all)up and down Atlantic coast allow camping, and provide a buffer from seaside development lights. You get at least one dark horizon away from nearby towns.

#4 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

N.C. Outer-banks, great camping spots and you can get out there on a car ferry. Can take all your gear.

Tony

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics