44 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Narrow question.
For VISUAL observing of moon and planets, would their be any qualitative difference between the two, (apart from non-tracking viewing, the image perhaps being as good away from the center of the FOV, as at the center (not taking into account eyepiece variables)?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

If you don't have the Moon at very low magnification, parts of the it will not be in the center of the field, and will not look as good as the portion at the center. Is that a problem? Only you can answer that. ;)

#3 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you don't have the Moon at very low magnification, parts of the it will not be in the center of the field, and will not look as good as the portion at the center. Is that a problem? Only you can answer that. ;)

Is that with the Edge or the regular?

#4 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

That's what the non-Edge view would look like.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Is that with the Edge or the regular?

_Regular_ ;)

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Narrow question.
For VISUAL observing of moon and planets, would their be any qualitative difference between the two, (apart from non-tracking viewing, the image perhaps being as good away from the center of the FOV, as at the center (not taking into account eyepiece variables)?

Just three weeks ago we did a side by side on a C8 Edge and a New Orange tube 8SE. Both using 2" TV Everbrights and both using 31 Naglers all the way up to 5 Naglers on various objects. Using a W/O EZ mount, side by side, 3 out of the 4 of us that did the comparison saw absolutely no difference on anything from looking at various objects including the Beehive, the Pleiades, Andromeda, Jupiter, the Leo Triplets and M81/M81 and the double cluster in Perseus. Only the Edge Owner swore his was sharper, naturally at the edges, but we didn't see it at the edges, in the center, anywhere. Focus was the same on both, both scopes were very sharp. This was during those incredible excellent nights of seeing conditions we just had in Calif.
Go Figure huh!!

He also claims his Eethos are Sharper than anothers ES eyepieces, and again, no one else ever see's that difference when using his FSQ.

He's coming up on his mid 60's and the rest of us are just in our 50's and mid 50's. He also smokes the wacky stuff till he passes out, but only at his place cuz no one else wants that around us.

Same time, same place, same diagonals and eyepieces, no difference.
The White edge is a beautiful OTA, but so is the Orange tube one and another CF tube one in our group.

I'm planning on getting an Edge C8, just cuz of its exterior looks and would fit my GP-DX mount easily.

...Ralph

#7 yonkrz

yonkrz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Well,now you know what the wacky stuff does for your eyes. :grin: :grin: :grin:

#8 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for the information.

#9 skyjim

skyjim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel, NY

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wacky stuff aside the Edge is sharper than the regualr C8, the coma that the C8 has starts about 2/3rd's out and can be seen very easy when you have lunar at a mag which almost fill's the FOV in any EP, some more than other's. Either some are used to it or it doesn't bother you but for me it does. After having a few good C8's and C9.25's which seem to have less coma, the coma start's at 3/4 of the way out on the C9.25, I finally broke down and purchased a C8HD. After owning maybe 10 different Rumak designed MCT's I will say the the 8HD give's those mac's a run for the money and then some. Hey maybe the coma just bother's me more than most, it always bothered me on any Dob I have owned and some of the short FL frac's as well, even when I was in my 40ies it did but now at 61 it seemed to never change. Most of the guys I have observed with have seen this as well, some younger and some older, even my wife has said to me that you see everything sharper at the edge of feild and she has no idea what coma is. As far as the differences in price as far as a new OTA well the C8's when on sale can be had for around $700-$800 and the Edge around $1200, to me the money is well spent, they build the 8HD in a different way than regular C8's, every part of the optical system is checked and alligned then double checked, that in itself is worth the extra money and after having many scopes threw the years its nice to get a new scope thats great right outa the box. When you get those great nights a few time's a year and you can crank the mag's up it's nice on lunar or planetary to have detail right out to the edge of feild, no refocusing neede at all. After 30 plus year's of observing I have to say that Celestron has done an outstanding job with the Edge HD scope's and the pasive cooling vent's plus mirror locks places it over the top. I have alway's liked the Rumak designed MCT's but I find no need to go that way again, these new breed of SCT's have now found a sweet spot in my home.
Jim :cool:
PC no wacky stuff smoked here, lol.

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have owned four 8" SCTs.

To me personally, the difference off axis performance between the EdgeHD 8" and the others is quite apparent.

To the OP, for planets or the portion of the moon at the center of the field will show just as much contrast in the standard SCT as the EdgeHD. All of the perfromance improvement on the EdgeHD is going to be found at the edge of the field when using Naglers and similar (or larger) apparent AFOV low power eyepeices.

And when imageging of course, but for the OP, his interest is visual only.

OF cousre a C8 or an EdgeHD would not be my first choice if planets were very high on my list of observing targets, but given that choice, both are about equal for this kind of work.

#11 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

So, it is apparent that, when the smoke clears, the EdgeHD is clearly the best choice.

#12 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

RE: EdgeHD

It is so choice.

Like Ferris said "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..." http://youtu.be/GV2Y2kIUkIs

#13 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

The coma in the C8 is not that big of a deal, 95% of the time I never even notice it. However, I think the price is currently $1000 compared to $1300 and that is not enough of a difference to justify getting the regular C8 over the HD. So unless money is a big issue, I would go for the HD.

With the C11 I do notice coma a lot more often, probably because of the narrower field of view. But with a cost difference of $1100 between the C11 and the C11 HD it really makes that a much more agonizing decision.

#14 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think the price difference between the C11 and C11 HD is almost $1600 when ordering from OPT. I like the standard Celestron SCT optical design as a little coma near the edges doesn't bother me. Or you could go with the Meade ACF which is a step above the standard SCT optics.

Bill

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

A standard C8 is still a fine scope...but...if you're buying a new C8, it would seem silly not to spend a little more and get the HD. My next C8 will be the Edge.

#16 ahlberto

ahlberto

Apollo

• Loc: lisbon-portugal

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Indeed...Get the Edge if you can ! :jump: With a good mount and a few eyepieçes you will not need to buy another scope i the next decade.Get the upgrade and you will have a scope for a lifetime :p

#17 richardlowney

richardlowney

Lift Off

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

For reasons I won't go into, for awhile I had a new 8" Edge and new C8. Side by side the mechanics were equal and excellent as were the optics. Uncle Rod has it right. If you want edge to edge perfection go with the Edge. Other than that they are both excellent scopes and you won't go wrong with either.

#18 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've always used my old 1985 C-8 (with just the Special Coatings, no StarBright) for visual -- lunar, planetary, some DSOs. Recently, I decided to replace this ota with a new C-8 SE orange tube at $799. I thought about the Edge HD but since I already have a f6.3 reducer/corrector, and a 35mm Panoptic for wider views at times, I decided I didn't need it. Other considerations were the high humidity factor of my location, which I'm not sure the vents in the HD would be good for, and dealing with the new set screws system for the extra precise corrector plate placement when corrector plate cleaning is needed -- which isn't a rare necessity, unfortunately, again with the conditions at my location.

If it were to be my only scope, and I wanted to do AP with it, I might change my mind and get the HD and shell out for the dedicated reducer, etc., but as I have other types of scopes for wide-field and AP this modified my view in choosing.

I can't wait to get the new SE orange ota with StarBright and XLT coatings (should have it by the 19th), I know they will be an upgrade just by themselves. :grin:
Good luck with whatever you choose.
---Maya

#19 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Here's my take...yes,...and no. :)

The moon is a big target and as was mentioned, a lot of it will be viewed off-axis. The Edge has a definite advantage there. For the planets, the views in both scopes on-axis will be very similar. However...the benefit of the Edge is that the planet does not need to be centered perfectly to display well. You don't need to fuss putting the object on center.

Regards,

Patrick

#20 Julio

Julio

Messenger

• Loc: Pembroke Pines ,FL

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Ive got one of those orange tube C8XLT, the optics are very good.

#21 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Here's my take...yes,...and no. :)

The moon is a big target and as was mentioned, a lot of it will be viewed off-axis. The Edge has a definite advantage there. For the planets, the views in both scopes on-axis will be very similar. However...the benefit of the Edge is that the planet does not need to be centered perfectly to display well. You don't need to fuss putting the object on center. Regards, Patrick

You boiled it down to be simple, clear and succinct. If I were buying a new C8, I would get the Edge. We all are trying to squeeze a little more detail in our views, so even a slight plus-up with the Edge would be worth the extra money to me.

#22 SteveSMS

SteveSMS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey Shore USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I picked up an EdgeHD 8 yesterday and I actually had a chance to use it! I did a grab and go session with it and I am very impressed with this scope. I have been fortunate to own some decent scopes and this ranks right up near the top of optical quality of what I've owned. The atmosphere was steady around 6:30 pm EST last night and Jupiter was spectacular with very defined markings with the GRS easily seen in 19mm EPs. Stars in M37 and the Double Cluster were pinpoints right out to edges in a pair of 40mm Plossls. This scope is a keeper for me and I want to thank Ed Moreno for his excellent review, it greatly helped with my decision to buy the Edge 8.

Clear Skies

Attached Files

#23 cnahm

cnahm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Missouri

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Very nice setup! Looks like a great grab-n-go system. That's exactly the the type of rig I'm looking to wind up with... I have a Stellarvue MG2 mount, and will have the EdgeHD 8 mounted just like that.

#24 04yellowf150

04yellowf150

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

;)

Posted Image

#25 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris