•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to clean UV-NIR filter before installation?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sean13

Sean13

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I finally got around to modding my 450D today. Everything went smooth until the gluing stage. I must of managed to get some silicon on my glove and smuged the glass a bit. I managed to get the silicon off quickly with a qtip and microfiber cloth, but while the silicon around the edges is still drying I can't seem to get a clean wipe across the glass to get all the smuges off. I am going to let the silicon dry overnight, but tomorrow before installation how should I go about properly cleaning the glass? I had good success with just breathing on it and lightly wiping with a microfiber. Is that what I should attempt tomorrow? Im a little worried about popping the glass back out as the silicon doesn't seem to be all that strong, but we'll see once it dries.

#2 Sean13

Sean13

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Surprised no one else had this problem.

Threw the camera back together today, after cleaning the filter as best as I possibly could with my breath and a microfiber cloth. Took some pics with the camera and I see no distortion or dust or smuges in my pics, so I guess I did an ok job.

For future reference when modding your own camera: Absolutely DO NOT touch the filters, with anything. Had I been smart I would have let the silicon completely dry before even attempting to wipe with a cloth, but once I did I had no choice but to get the silicon smear off as quickly as possible.

#3 andysea

andysea

Vanguard

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm glad you were able to clean the filter. I think the coatings on those filters are actually pretty strong. If I remember well one of canon filters that I got from Alpine Astro was pretty dirty and I had to clean it before installing. It was just dust, nonetheless it needed cleaning.
Also, like you did, I always wear gloves. I use dust free nitrile gloves and they work great.
Andy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics