Photo

How to clean UV-NIR filter before installation?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I finally got around to modding my 450D today. Everything went smooth until the gluing stage. I must of managed to get some silicon on my glove and smuged the glass a bit. I managed to get the silicon off quickly with a qtip and microfiber cloth, but while the silicon around the edges is still drying I can't seem to get a clean wipe across the glass to get all the smuges off. I am going to let the silicon dry overnight, but tomorrow before installation how should I go about properly cleaning the glass? I had good success with just breathing on it and lightly wiping with a microfiber. Is that what I should attempt tomorrow? Im a little worried about popping the glass back out as the silicon doesn't seem to be all that strong, but we'll see once it dries.

#2 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Surprised no one else had this problem.

Threw the camera back together today, after cleaning the filter as best as I possibly could with my breath and a microfiber cloth. Took some pics with the camera and I see no distortion or dust or smuges in my pics, so I guess I did an ok job.

For future reference when modding your own camera: Absolutely DO NOT touch the filters, with anything. Had I been smart I would have let the silicon completely dry before even attempting to wipe with a cloth, but once I did I had no choice but to get the silicon smear off as quickly as possible.

#3 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm glad you were able to clean the filter. I think the coatings on those filters are actually pretty strong. If I remember well one of canon filters that I got from Alpine Astro was pretty dirty and I had to clean it before installing. It was just dust, nonetheless it needed cleaning.
Also, like you did, I always wear gloves. I use dust free nitrile gloves and they work great.
Andy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics