CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

scope hitting hard stop in both directions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DUCE202

DUCE202

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

help!! my lx200 is hitting the hard stops in both directions after turning it 60 deg. in either direction ! what would cause this ? .. no one seems like they want to touch this one..help!! :confused:

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

It sounds like something as come loose inside the base.

Time to carefully remove the bottom cover and look inside and see what you can figure out.

#3 DUCE202

DUCE202

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

hi chris, i removed the bottom cover . i cannot actually see where or why the scope is stoping .you can only see about half of the gear wheel and a plate that turns as you rotate it.

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

hi chris, i removed the bottom cover. i cannot actually see where or why the scope is stopping. you can only see about half of the gear wheel and a plate that turns as you rotate it.

It sure sounds like something has come loose in the hard-stop assembly.

I believe you have a number of astronomy clubs in your area and in the greater Philadelphia area, assuming that is where you are. Hopefully one of them has a member who is experienced with the internals of your scope who can come over and look at it.

If not then there is Meade Customer Service, as well as a couple of independent individuals that work on Meade scopes.

And you might be interested in joining the LX200GPS Yahoo group, which is narrowly-focused on your model of scope.

http://tech.groups.y.../group/LX200GPS

#5 DUCE202

DUCE202

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

thanks for the info chris ! yes.. i`m in the greater philadelpha area...thanks again....

#6 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Sounds like a software problem.

As Chris suggests, go into the yahoo site. Doc and his pals will have a solution.

Good luck, Chris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics