rotated secondary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rodeorat

Rodeorat

Lift Off

• Loc: Guthrie, OK US

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with realigning the secondary after removing the corrector/secondary?
I received a circa-2002 C8 which had significant build up on the corrector and dust bunnies on the primary, so I removed them and cleaned them per instructions and they look great. However, I'm not 100% the corrector/secondary were aligned in the same way as when they were removed, and I believe my optical quality has suffered as result.
Is there a way to verify the alignment without sending the OTA into Celestron for an expensive test?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

There should be an engraved serial number (small) on the edge of the corrector. Put it at 3 o'clock.

#3 Rodeorat

Rodeorat

Lift Off

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

There should be an engraved serial number (small) on the edge of the corrector. Put it at 3 o'clock.

Thank you sir. Now that you mention it, I've heard this before. Dunno why I didn't think about it last night.

Anyway, I presume 3 o'clock is relative to the focuser? Meaning, when viewed from the back the focuser is at 3 o'clock. When viewed from the front, the S/N etching is at 3. SO.....the S/N should be on the opposite side of the tube from the focuser, when looking at the corrector, correct? Just wanna make sure my reference points are the same as yours. Thx

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yep, relative to the focuser if we are talking an OTA only, or with repect to the fork if a fork mount scope.

#5 Rodeorat

Rodeorat

Lift Off

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Yep, relative to the focuser if we are talking an OTA only, or with repect to the fork if a fork mount scope.

Yes sir, just OTA. Thank you for your help.

#6 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Some of the secondarys ar glued in and will spin, there is a line drawn on the back of the secondary that should be lined up with 9:00 and 3:00, this lines up to the SN..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics