LS 8 Issue...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 camvan

camvan

Vanguard

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

hey everyone, my dad just bought himself a Meade LS 8 on the used market. it hasn't been used, but has been powered on several times, but tonight, when powered on, the power LED blinks a few times and then the scope does nothing. the hand controller lights up, but never displays anything.

I thought perhaps an update was needed, but when trying to connect, it says that the hand controller isn't connected (don't have a mini SD card to try flashing that way yet), so I thought I would post and see if any of you have some trouble shooting tips to try before we go any further.

it's plugged in solidly on both the controller and scope side and there are no loose wires that I can see.

first clear night that he can use it and nothing...but turning it on in the daytime, worked flawlessly. not sure what to think/say about that!

thank you for your assistance amateur masters of the universe! :bow:

#2 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Wild guess, are you running from power supply or batteries? My ETX 125 acted similarly the other night. Power light came on and hand controller partially lit. Batteries were low and when I went to external power, all was well.

#3 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

hey everyone, my dad just bought himself a Meade LS 8 on the used market. it hasn't been used, but has been powered on several times, but tonight, when powered on, the power LED blinks a few times and then the scope does nothing. the hand controller lights up, but never displays anything.

I thought perhaps an update was needed, but when trying to connect, it says that the hand controller isn't connected (don't have a mini SD card to try flashing that way yet), so I thought I would post and see if any of you have some trouble shooting tips to try before we go any further.

it's plugged in solidly on both the controller and scope side and there are no loose wires that I can see.

first clear night that he can use it and nothing...but turning it on in the daytime, worked flawlessly. not sure what to think/say about that!

thank you for your assistance amateur masters of the universe! :bow:

It sure sounds like a power supply or power connection issue.

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

First try an AC power adapter. The LS has an appetite for batteries. If you have to flash the mount make sure you have the latest version of the Meade Autostar updater. You need a micro SD card to fit the scope and a SD to mirco SD adapter to fit your PC. The micro SD must have no greater then 2Gb capacity and must be formatted with FAT32. Unless you are using Win98, you have to select FAT32 to force this format. Otherwise the OS will default to NTFS. I'd recommend eBay for the SD card but limit your purchase to shipped from USA 100% genuine SanDisk products.

#5 Dewdrop

Dewdrop

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

hey everyone...posting under my dad's account now (just got authorized). batteries were grand new, Duracell, just out of the package a few minutes before loading them into the scope...but it was one of my thoughts, perhaps it was them. now that we're back at my place, we'll test with my power pack.

that said, Geo...it's actually a Mini SD that they need, not Micro SD. you would think Meade would make it easy and use a common standard, but no, they have to use a card that next to nobody carries. :p

#6 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

hey everyone...posting under my dad's account now (just got authorized). batteries were grand new, Duracell, just out of the package a few minutes before loading them into the scope...but it was one of my thoughts, perhaps it was them. now that we're back at my place, we'll test with my power pack.

that said, Geo...it's actually a Mini SD that they need, not Micro SD. you would think Meade would make it easy and use a common standard, but no, they have to use a card that next to nobody carries. :p

Could be that one or more of the batteries got installed backwards.

Check each battery with a multimeter or battery tester. You might have purchased old stock.

Mini-SD was the standard when the scope was designed. Can't blame Meade for not using the Micro-SD standard when it wasn't yet available.

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Gday Chris

Can't blame Meade for not using the Micro-SD standard when it wasn't yet available.

True,
but wouldnt it have been nice if they had just made the scope "bootable" from the "very standard" USB port ;)
Would have been so simple to install and use compared to the SD cards and their finnicky nature/horrible positioning.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sorry, now I'm confused. One of these? By my calculations you'll need 192 acres of the whorehole memory to equal the SD's. Image from the Wiki Commons.

Attached Files

#9 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Regarding this Micro card, I believe I have read that it can't be any bigger than 2gb. and this card reads 4gb.

#10 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Regarding this Micro card, I believe I have read that it can't be any bigger than 2gb. and this card reads 4gb.

I have a 64GB Micro-SD card (SDXC) in my Android smartphone right now...

I believe the Mini-SD cards topped out at 2GB.

#11 camvan

camvan

Vanguard

• Loc: British Columbia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

hey Chris, they actually max out at 4GB. found a place online that was clearing stock out of their 1GB models for $3.99/piece, so I ordered a couple and a special USB key adapter/reader that let's me interface with a PC. the instructions for the LS8 doesn't say what size it can/cannot take, but for safeties sake, I went small.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics