Upgrade Lunt LS60DS to LS80
Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:54 AM
There is a LS80 on the used market that I think I can get for a fair price and I think there is a guy in my astronomy club that would give me what I paid (or close) for my LS60DS just to avoid the wait on the LS60's (though this wait is starting to go away)
I'd be upgrading from a B1200 to a B1800, but the only downgrades would be loosing the double stack and going from a feather touch to a dual speed crayford.
Appreciate your feedback. Really just worried I'm going to hate myself for dropping back to a single stack.
Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:14 PM
Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:16 AM
I have done what you are contemplating - fortunately I did not have to sell my LS 60 DS so I have both.
- the 60DS in my opinion provides an overall better visual Sun - it just pops more (regardless of the loss of aperture)
- the 80 is superior visually to the 60 in SS mode
- I do a lot of imaging and my conditions tend to be poor - I usually do disc shots with the 60 in SS mode with a DMK51 - DS is a much more challenging imaging set up so I tend to grab and go
- I have used the 80 with a 2.5 Powermate for imaging and this gets in much closer than the 60 but I rarely get the opportunity
I have done all of these comparisons side by side and if you get a chance you should too.
Are you into imaging or visual?
I hope this helps?
Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 AM
Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:32 PM
And not that the LS60 isn't impressive, but I'd probably get a bigger kick watching others reactions viewing through a larger HA scope. (probably shouldn't be the reason I want a larger scope, but it is a factor)
As far as a side by side comparison I don't know if that would happen without me buying the 80 and doing it before I tried to sell the 60. Very few members of my astronomy club have solar scopes (beyond whitelight) and at least that talk about it openly or participate in the public outreach sessions. I'd say I have the HA nicest scope at a pressure tuned double stack LS60.
What I'll probably do is see if I can get a verbal commitment from this guy I know that he really would be interested at $x if I upgraded.
Worst case if I had to sit on it for a few years that probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Especially if I was imaging, then I'd have a something for visual while the camera was doing its thing. I'm sure if I waited for a solar event, and eclipse or transit of Mercury I could probably offload it without taking a huge loss on my investment. It is kind of an expensive scope to have 2 of.
Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:21 PM
Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:07 PM
Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:16 AM
Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:35 PM