Photo

How to properly convert your finished pic to PNG?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I have been using pixinsight to process my photos and sometimes they look fantastic in PI, but when I save to say a PNG or JPG I get weird color issues. PI warns me before saving that these formats do not contain the depth needed for the photo I'm working with. So how is the proper way to share an image I've captured in a reasonable file format? I'm perfectly fine keeping mine in TIFF locally, but most image upload sites will not take a tiff, and if they do, weird color issues usually happen. I prefer PNG since afaik its the most vivid of the smaller file formats, and most sharing sites will allow PNG uploads.

#2 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

tiff is my normal prime picture then jpg for sharing picture. most sites are size limited so jpg makes the best general purpose. png i also use on my machine however again, its a large file when using on public sites.
you might check your video card settings with your monitor.

#3 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I normally save as JPG using Photoshop (PS) for posting/sharing on the web; haven't seen color issues you mention. PS lets you pick JPG quality which will cause the file size to vary depending upon the image resolution. Thx

Note: Some image processing instructions here....

#4 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Good call, will try using photoshop to make the file instead. Thanks!

#5 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I would check your color management setup in PI. Try setting it to defaults just in case something has changed. I save to jpg, png, etc. from PI and I don't see any difference in the colors. I have heard of people running into this before and it was usually due to a difference in the color spaces. I think sRGB is the correct one (from what I see on my default settings).

Chris

#6 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

what you need to do is use the ICCProfileTransformation process to convert to the sRGB color space before you save to jpg.

there should be no reason to use photoshop if you are using PI. ever. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics