Photo

Astronomy club libraries--how is it done?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I wonder how many valuable titles are sitting in astronomy club libraries. And more importantly, do these clubs have some kind of security over these valuable titles? Is there a designated club librarian? Are the titles locked up outside of designated club meeting times?

I am not involved in an astronomy club. I just do this hobby from trial and error--and what I can learn from others here on CN who are willing to share their knowledge.

So, how do astronomy clubs handle the sticky issue of security regarding their club library?

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I do not know, but would guess, most have
a club volunteer that keeps them in their home,
brings to club meetings as requested

:question:

edj

#3 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

We had a club library and librian; the the college required us to move it, so we just donated all the books to the college, and supposedly our club members have access to take out the donated club books.

I was one of the few who actually took out books when we had a club libray, which was only open before club meetings.

We did get lots of book donations.

#4 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

We have a librarian who has taken the time to create a binder with photos of each book's cover. He brings this binder to our monthly meetings and if someone wants to check out a book they talk with him to make arrangements to pick it up as the library is kept at his home. We had a long talk with my board about getting rid of the library but our VP and now librarian objected and thus set up this system. Good Luck!

#5 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

We have a librarian who has taken the time to create a binder with photos of each book's cover. He brings this binder to our monthly meetings and if someone wants to check out a book they talk with him to make arrangements to pick it up as the library is kept at his home. We had a long talk with my board about getting rid of the library but our VP and now librarian objected and thus set up this system. Good Luck!

This sounds like a good way to do it. Then, whatever happens, the books are safe in the keeping of someone who truly cares for them.

Does he also keep track of the condition of each book that gets lent out? So, if an expensive new book comes back chewed to shreds by someone's dog, they can be held accountable in whatever the pre-agreed-upon manner is?

#6 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

"does he also keep track of the condition of each book............?"

a good idea, but a lot more work for the volunteer-maybe to much?

edj

#7 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

This sounds like a good way to do it. Then, whatever happens, the books are safe in the keeping of someone who truly cares for them.

I wish that this were true but when our club librarian steped down and some of the club members went to pick them up, well they were all stored in boxes in his basement and all were very moldy, so they were all thrown away. It was a sad day for me because I have checked out a couple of them in years past. We used to buy a book or two each year to add to the library. There was a single spaced list of the books that was two pages long that I once had of these books. My point is that they are not always safe in someones house. Be careful!

#8 k9yr

k9yr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

How do you determine a valuable title Astronomy book? Just by the used Amazon price or sold on Ebay?

#9 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

How do you determine a valuable title Astronomy book? Just by the used Amazon price or sold on Ebay?

yes

I would think that the value is determined by what someone will pay,
or the average of what multiple buyers will pay

edj

#10 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I once belonged to a flower club
they met in a group room at a local college
and kept their books in a closet loaned by the school
one checked out the books at the meetings
I do not know what would happen if a book were lost or damaged

edj

#11 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

The OKC Astronomy Club is lucky enough to meet at a local science museum which also has a planetarium which the club uses to conduct beginner sessions prior to the meeting. The club library is kept locked up in the planetarium offices on a rolling cart which is moved to the upstairs meeting room every month. It is under the care of two volunteer members who keep a database list on a laptop so they know who has checked out what.

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I guess I was a little naive about the matter! I just can't imagine the scenario Buddy described; how could anyone let that happen to a library, especially one not their own, but entrusted to them for safekeeping by their friends?

EDJ,
For some reason, whenever I read your posts, I start off expecting them to rhyme... :D

#13 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

I do not know, but would guess, most have
a club volunteer that keeps them in their home,
brings to club meetings as requested

:question:

edj

That's what my club does.