• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Platte, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I am having some trouble, my manual says theres an option to do a polar alignment routine but it is not listed in the menu of the hand controller. I tried checking again because it says you need to do a regular 2 star alignment first, which I did, and still no options for polar alignment. How do I access this option?

I thought my firmware may be out of date because I replaced the motor control board a few months ago, but I'm running HC 4.20 and MC 5.16 which I think is pretty current. Any ideas?

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

It's on the Align button, press this and scroll to the Align Mount option, press Enter and follow the instructions.

It works best with a star that's fairly close to the meridian and not too high.

Chris

#3 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thats the problem though, theres no polar align option under align mount.

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Look in the "Utilities" section. Polar alignment is listed there for HC versions v.4.13 and prior.

Stan

#5 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Nope, not listed under utilities either. I've checked every single menu option and sub menu option, its no where to be found. This baffles the *BLEEP* out of me...

#6 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I am having some trouble, my manual says theres an option to do a polar alignment routine but it is not listed in the menu of the hand controller. I tried checking again because it says you need to do a regular 2 star alignment first, which I did, and still no options for polar alignment. How do I access this option?

I thought my firmware may be out of date because I replaced the motor control board a few months ago, but I'm running HC 4.20 and MC 5.16 which I think is pretty current. Any ideas?

Hi Sean,

I'm very probably out of my depth here but reading the Advanced Series C6S et al manual, it apparently states, that to operate the Polar Align, either an Auto Align (involving three NOT two stars) or an Auto Three Star method (alignment stars chosen by the operator) must be used.

Could this make any difference and cause this inability of yours to access Polar Align ?

Even if it does, I don't see why the feature itself should be "lost" from the HC ! (?) :idea:

Best regards,
Tel

#7 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

I've just checked using NR and HC 4.20 and the Polar align option is on the Align button, press this and then use the up and down buttons (6 and 9) to see the Polar align option.

I can't think of a reason why this would not be available, just for you.

Chris

#8 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi Sean:

I think you might have better luck with this question in the Mounts forum. This forum is for the Nexstar line of mounts such as the Nexstar 8SE or Nexstar SLT 127 and similar mounts.

It's a bit confusing because even on mounts like the CG-5, the handset says "Nexstar" on it. While there are a few people here on this forum that own CG-5 mounts, you'll find many more with experience on that mount in the Mounts forums.

-Dan

#9 Sean13

Sean13

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am running HC Firmware 4.20, and my hand controller is a non + model, so there is no actual align button. After the scope is aligned after plugging it in I can no longer access any alignment functions.

I have no option for Auto align, or auto three star align. When powering up and choosing alignments, I'm given One Star, Two Star, Solar System, Quick, and Last Alignment. No options for auto alignment, or polar, even if I've completed a 2 star alignment with or without calibration stars, the polar option never appears.

According to my manual I have in hand that came with the scope, it says the Polar align option should be visible under the utilities menu AFTER a 2 star alignment has been preformed. It says it will slew to where polaris should be, let me center it manually, then says to preform another 2 star alignment after polar has been completed. No matter what I do, I never see the polar align option.

Thanks. I will try this question in the mounts forum. It didn't occur to me that Celestron calls their scopes and guidance system the same name.

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I am running HC Firmware 4.20, and my hand controller is a non + model, so there is no actual align button.

I have 5 Celestron hand controllers and there is an 'Align' button on all of them. Top button on the left...

Stan

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sean,

Download the CGE Pro manual. Use the Hand Controller and Astronomy Basics sections in place of what you have in your Advanced Series (ASGT) manual (but reference the ASGT picture and descriptions in the Astronomy Basics section when doing the polar alignment).

The firmware you have in your hand controller (v4.20) most closely matches the functionality in the CGEPro manual.

#12 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

The Polar Align function position changed when ASPA was released, it moved from the Utilities Menu option to the separate Align menu available by pressing the ALIGN button. That's the one on the top left, just to the left of the ENTER button.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics