• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch925

Mitch925

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi all,

I've been in the imaging game for around two years now using a cgem with an Orion ed102t cf. Unfortunately the cgem is no longer a viable option as it had a bit of an accident.
I'm now looking at purchasing a high quality mount. I don't see myself moving to bigger equipment any time soon so a mount which can handle around 8kg is ideal. I've read countless posts and opinions and am strongly considering the Losmandy gm-8. However in reading all these posts there are varying opinions on this mounts capability.
My question is, will this mount handle the scope (12 pounds) and imaging equipment (3 - 5 pounds) comfortably? If not, what else would you suggest?

Setup:
Orion ed102t cf (714mm f/7)
Orion mini autoguider
QHY 8L

Possible upgrades:
moonlite focuser
QSI 583 mono
= shouldn't add anything weight to existing setup

Unfortunately anything along the lines of astro-physics is out of the question as the cost of importing is prohibitive. Portability is also an important factor as I have to travel in the car to get nice dark skies.

Cheers in advance,
Mitch

#2 SMigol

SMigol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

I was pushing 18 lbs on my GM8 before I went to a G11. I was able to image at 650mm fl. There were issues with flexure but these were because of the scope mounting, not the mount itself.

I've already been using the G11, so I've not had the chance to go back to the GM8 to see if my fixes would have worked with the lighter mount.

It's a great starter/visual mount and quite lightweight for the function. Wonderful for widefield imaging because of the ease of setup. If you go with a non-goto version, just polar align, turn it on and go. Let the autoguider program PEC and you're set for a night.

#3 Eric P

Eric P

Messenger

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm not sure where you are located but the Takahashi EM-10 appears on the second hand market from time to time. I was able to purchase one with a tripod and other accessories for less than the price of a new GM-8.

#4 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Mitch,

First of all, welcome to Cloudy Nights! :)

I'll second the GM-8's load capacity. It handles my 25 pound 5 inch refractors just fine for visual use and it should do okay with your lighter weight imaging load.

One possible suggestion to save weight: I love my MoonLite focusers and Ron Newman is a great person to do business with, buuuuuuut the MoonLite is heavier than a comparable FeatherTouch and I suggest you look into one of their focusers should you decide to upgrade. My Newtonian has a MoonLite, but all of my refractors have FTs! :waytogo:

Cheers,

Ron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics