Windows 7 Night Vision "theme"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roke Whitson

Roke Whitson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I'm trying to get the colors on my laptop changed to all reds, blacks, greys so as not to zap my (or more importantly, someone else's) night vision while using it for imaging. Anybody aware of any pre-built theme which will do this? If not, I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has worked through it. Thanks!!!
Roke Whitson

#2 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Do a search for BackyardRED, this is a free utility that does just what you are trying to do...

#3 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

You might give this a try.....

http://knightware.bi...nightvision.htm

However, Most any software programs used for imaging or observing will have a night vision mode. But by themselves, they're usually still too bright. Same goes for if you change your Windows settings for reds, grays, and blacks. A red plexiglas screen overlay and turning the screen brightness down still works best. Using some kind of covering over the computer will also be helpful.

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Do a search for BackyardRED, this is a free utility that does just what you are trying to do...

Here's the link:

BackyardRed

Looks pretty neat, just move your mouse over the image at the right, & you'll see what it does. :)

#5 Roke Whitson

Roke Whitson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I have BackyardRed, and it is helpful, but it doesn't do away with all of the white-colored message boxes, title screens, etc. I guess that will do along with my so-far incomplete "astronomy" color scheme for Windows 7. I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

#6 knightware

knightware

Vendor (Knightware)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

KnightVision changes screen colors at the video adapter level so there are no white message boxes or other glaring Windows-drawn elements. It is works on Windows versions XP through 8, 32 and 64 bit.

KnightVision is a free download.

#7 Roke Whitson

Roke Whitson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hey - thanks, Phyllis. That's exactly what I was looking for.

#8 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

KnightVision changes screen colors at the video adapter level so there are no white message boxes or other glaring Windows-drawn elements. It is works on Windows versions XP through 8, 32 and 64 bit.

Thanks for putting this together. I hadn't been aware of it. I downloaded it yesterday and found it very useful.

#9 knightware

knightware

Vendor (Knightware)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm delighted you guys find this helpful. It has saved me and my laptop in the field more than once!

#10 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for putting this together. I hadn't been aware of it. I downloaded it yesterday and found it very useful.

+1! Good stuff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics