First real test of my ES 82 eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm using barlows more than ever before. Mostly because I use a binoviewer a lot. Some eyepieces just barlow a heck of a lot better than others. Some plössls, more than other eyepieces I've tried, are awful in a barlow, for some strange reason. My 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces barlow extremely well and will take a ridiculously huge amount of barlowing without ill effects. My ES 82 eyepieces also barlow extremely well.

I find that today I strongly prefer an eyepiece with long focal length and generous eye relief over an eyepiece with short native focal length. Remember, the ES 82 eyepieces all have a built-in barlow element (often referred to as a Smyth lens). I count that as using a barlow. My 8.8mm ES 82 has roughly the same eye relief and comfort of my barlowed 17mm plössl (but a much larger field, of course).

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#27 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

I truthfully don't use my barlows anymore, preferring fixed f/l eyepieces. Not that I won't ever use it, but just don't anymore (maybe on that one night in a lifetime where you see the stacked barlow pics). That being said, everyone should have a 2X barlow in their kit. Truth be told, barlows are pretty basic optical technology, and the GSO barlow will perform as well as any and also allows you to take off the bottom of the barlow and put in on your eyepiece and it acts like a 1.5X barlow...down the road though, as you collect more eyepieces (and who doesn't along the way), you'll probably find you use it less and less. I'd probalbly save a few $$ and go with the GSO barlow.

Very valid points made here! I have been exactly the same in this regard to barlows. I've used them, got rid of them, (even more than my eyepieces believe it or not, lol), and I find that fixed FL eyepieces really do a lot better, especially when deep sky observing and needing more power because you only have so much time before the dim object in your sights drifts away from the field if you use a non-driven mount.

When it comes to planets, I will use a barlow any time because the object is bright and you can always find it again if it drifts from the view.

I've owned both the 2" GSO and 2" Antares barlows and can't see any difference in views from each. Just last night I saw a new barlow made by Antares: it has a 2" Twist Lock built right on it and is threaded for 2" filters! :bow:

Antares 2" 1.6x Barlow Lens with Twist Lock

Cheers,

Nice find--the new and improved Antares 1.6x 2" barlow looks great! They skipped the compression ring and opted for the twist-lock mechanism, interesting. And finally now with the 2" filter threads and the price is very reasonable. I think I just sold myself on one.

#28 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Uh, guys, did you read the last line of that ad:

"Please note: A couple of tiny dust particles between lens elements, uneven lens edge blackening, very minor coating blemishes, or even a very small fine lens scratch or two are very common in this Antares product and must be accepted as normal. However, these will not impact optical performance."

#29 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Uh, guys, did you read the last line of that ad:

"Please note: A couple of tiny dust particles between lens elements, uneven lens edge blackening, very minor coating blemishes, or even a very small fine lens scratch or two are very common in this Antares product and must be accepted as normal. However, these will not impact optical performance."

Yea, I saw that. Not a huge deal really since it is only $95.00. If I ever get another one, this will the one for me too!

Cheers,

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Nah, I'll spend $50 for a barlow with good optics instead.....

#31 russell23

russell23

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I am so glad that I found this little thread! I am going to order the ES 30 the 14 and the 4.7 tomorrow or the next day. I have been so NERVOUS about dropping so much money on anything that I don't know that much about. I'm glad that all here seem to like theirs so much. Does anyone have the ES barlow? I might as well get one of those also if it's worth it.

I have a 1.25" 2x ES barlow that I purchased in January. I've only had 2 chances to use it - a night with really lousy seeing conditions and a 2nd night that was pretty good seeing conditions.

Based upon the limited opportunity on that second night I think the ES 2x barlow is probably excellent. However, if the hourly forecast holds up I will have some clear skies this evening and will get back to you with specifics.

Dave

Well I did get a chance to use the 2x ES barlow last night - and the sky conditions were the best I've seen in several months. The ES barlow really does a nice job. It works like a TV Powermate. I used it with my 30mm and 17mm silvertops, 15mm Paradigm, 12.8mm Zeiss, 20mm XW, and 16mm Flat field eyepiece.

What I can tell you is that with all of those eyepieces it performed extremely well. It maintained the exit pupl characteristics of the eyepiece while sharpening the edge performance. It did not introduce any annoying light effects at the edge of the field (brightening, distortion, scatter) as some cheap barlows will do.

I could not find any fault with the ES 2x barlow and I love the construction. The locking screw is nice and large and east to tighten/loosen with gloves on.

I actually found that the ES 2x barlow performed better than a 2.5x Powermate with some eyepieces - the 20mm XW in particular.

Dave

#32 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Dave....I ordered the 30mm the 6.7mm and the 2" 2X barlow with 1.25 adapter. Now it's just a waiting game till Astronomics gets them in. Of course the clouds will part and the sky will be crystal clear until the day I get them! :bawling:

#33 PolarBearCO

PolarBearCO

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am so glad that I found this little thread! I am going to order the ES 30 the 14 and the 4.7 tomorrow or the next day.

Where did you order from? I can't find anyone that has them in stock. Well, I haven't looked at Adorama or Hayneedle because their prices don't reflect the currect sale prices.

I have the ES 82 11 and 18 and want to grab the 6.7 but can't find it in stock. Most places don't seem to allow backorders. I can order it from ES directly, but their site doesn't say whether it's in stock or just an order.

#34 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

The ES 6.7 seems to be sold out **** everywhere! Also in Europe.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#35 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

a fresh batch of new eyepiece material is being whipped up in the middle of a star going nova anytime now..........

#36 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

According to the homepage, where I get my ES eyepieces, the star is about to go boom sometime around mid-march, showering us with 6.7mm's.

And a supernova is going off in early may, it seems, for that is the scheduled day of arrival for the ES100 5.5mm!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#37 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone else experienced what appears like vignetting around the FOV of your ES82s? I am not an expert on why vignetting occurs although I am fully aware that secondary mirror sizing comes to play. I have noticed this with my ES 82s whereas I do not notice this with 68 degree fields or with 2" eyepieces; at least, not to a significantly noticeable degree.

#38 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I haven't noticed any such thing. Could you elaborate on how it looks and what scope you have?

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#39 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I haven't noticed any vignetting with mine, in any of my three telescopes.

Taras

#40 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

10 inch f/7.55 with 1.58 secondary mirror. Views are excellent. I just notice a fall-off in brightness around the outer third when using the 82 degree ES eyepieces. I do not have any other 82 degree eyepieces to compare. With my setup, the 1.58 secondary is on the upper end of the sizing spectrum according to NEWT but is supposed to be in the error free zone.

#41 sslcm56

sslcm56

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montgomery, Al.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well, since everyone in the world is out I just went ahead and ordered from Astronomics. I mean HEY, they give us a discount, they keep CN up and running, and they talked me out of spending almost 400.00 that I would have spent due to ignorance and inexperience.
With servise like that I can wait. It don't mean that I want to tho... :mad: :mad:

#42 leviathan

leviathan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

10 inch f/7.55 with 1.58 secondary mirror. Views are excellent. I just notice a fall-off in brightness around the outer third when using the 82 degree ES eyepieces. I do not have any other 82 degree eyepieces to compare. With my setup, the 1.58 secondary is on the upper end of the sizing spectrum according to NEWT but is supposed to be in the error free zone.

Maybe this is due to small secondary ?

#43 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

None here on either scope.

#44 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Well, since everyone in the world is out I just went ahead and ordered from Astronomics. I mean HEY, they give us a discount, they keep CN up and running, and they talked me out of spending almost 400.00 that I would have spent due to ignorance and inexperience.
With servise like that I can wait. It don't mean that I want to tho... :mad: :mad:

:bow:

#45 PolarBearCO

PolarBearCO

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well, since everyone in the world is out I just went ahead and ordered from Astronomics. I mean HEY, they give us a discount, they keep CN up and running...

Thanks. Just placed an order with them for the backordered 4.7 and 6.7mm EPs. I knew about the discount, but wanted to originally buy just one EP, so I wasn't going to get free shipping. I didn't realize they operated CN, so I went ahead and ordered a 2nd EP to support them.

:jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics