Photo

Orion DeepMap 600

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

If you are looking for a folding road map of the deep sky--try the Orion DeepMap 600. The Deep 600 is made of waterproof, no-rip plastic and includes a 600-object list on the back giving the following data on each of the objects and stars located on the map.

Name
Type
RA
Dec
Con
Size
Mag
Description

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have one. I don't use it all that often, but it is a nice product.

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

my most used "atlas"

edj

#4 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

I agree that it is very very cool. I have two that I bought when they were on sale for a few bucks off (along with a ton of other stuff to get that free shipping .. they sure know what they're doing!) and it works great under these thick & chunky light-pollution-stew skies here in L.A., and for when I want to just get the whole picture all on one large floppy page. It's also a great companion to the pocket sky atlas and sky atlas 2000.0 in my opinion.

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I have one. I don't use it all that often, but it is a nice product.

Same here. Have it but don't use it. May use it if it gets very wet and dewy since it's plastic.

#6 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

I should have gotten one way back when they were like $6.50 or something. $15 bucks seems a little steep, when the PSA is only $20.

#7 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Believe it or not it's actually 20$ now! But currently on sale at 14.. that is until you add shipping :foreheadslap:
Really though, I would have stocked up on a half dozen of them if I was clued into the world of amateur astro way back then when they were under 7$... Interesting how on one hand a lot of scopes have come down in price over the years, but some of the accessories have truly shot up in price.

#8 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I bought one about 10 or 11 years ago. Never used it.

#9 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

It's a handy map but I never really used mine either. At the same price point the Pocket Sky Atlas is a better buy. It would be a nice item to pack along with binoculars.

#10 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I own two -- one for my city home and one for my country home. I almost always take it along, and use it fairly frequently.

It's really handy to have the entire sky (down to Dec -60, anyway) available in a single glance. And the fold-out map format is fantastically convenient; there's a reason it's used for road maps!

Deep Sky 600 doesn't really show enough stars for proper star-hopping, but it's extremely useful to jog my memory about where various showpiece objects are. And the object list (with brief descriptions by Steve Gottlieb) is priceless.

An example of when I use it. I've been out for many hours in the spring, and I was all organized to do galaxy observing. Now my eyes are tired, my patience is wearing thin, the summer Milky Way is rising, and it's time for something completely different. Let's take a quick glance over the next few hours of RA and see what's on offer.

The waterproofness cuts both ways. On the one hand, dew doesn't hurt it at all. On the other hand, it's completely covered in a layer of water when my paper charts are barely damp. You need to remember to unfold and dry it after every use to avoid mildew.

#11 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have found the Orion DeepMap 600 works well if you take it for what it is, and avoid comparing it with the various popular bound atlases containing larger scales and deeper magnitudes.

For me, the DeepMap 600 fills the niche between a planisphere and a bound atlas. The obvious advantage is a single map of the night sky with month and day markings allowing the new amateur who is viewing at close to 40-degree latitude in the Eastern Time Zone to see what will be close to their North-South meridian at 9 p.m. EST (10 p.m. EDST). For those living in different time zones or closer to the Southern Hemisphere, this benefit begins to wane. Another benefit is the RA markings make it easy for the new amateur to see what RA hour is close to their North-South meridian. Furthermore, another benefit for the new amateur is the ecliptic path through the constellations of the night sky. The Circumpolar atlas on the back is also quite nice--giving assistance to the new amateur for locating the circumpolar constellations along their North-South meridian. And as light pollution keeps getting stronger, the appeal to the naked-eye observer for a 5-mag atlas also grows stronger.

Last, but certainly not least, one benefit of the DeepMap 600 for all amateurs is another example of the wonderful cartography of Wil Tirion.

Does the Orion DeepMap 600 take the place of the Sky Pocket Atlas or other bound atlases? No. Does it take the place of some of the bound observing guides, such as Objects in the Heavens, Observer's Sky Atlas, or Sky Atlas Companion? Again, no it does not. Does the Orion DeepMap 600 appeal to those familiar with GPS, smart phones, and digital tablets? Probably not. Does the Orion DeepMap 600 take us back to the age of the car glovebox full of folded road maps? Perhaps.

But if you find yourself with a bunch of youngsters wanting to look at something while they are rolling around on the ground awaiting their turn at the eyepiece--the DeepMap 600 may be the most indestructible sky map that you can can turn your back on while protecting your valuable eyepieces and glass from little fingers that love to touch. :lol:

#12 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Another tidbit of information...

One of the world's best observers, Steve Gottlieb, created the list for the DeepMap 600

Those who are looking for the "list" of the objects in the DeepMap 600 - take a look here.

#13 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

It's a handy map but I never really used mine either. At the same price point the Pocket Sky Atlas is a better buy.

Same here, have not used mine; but do use the Pocket Sky Atlas often.

#14 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Another tidbit of information...

One of the world's best observers, Steve Gottlieb, created the list for the DeepMap 600

Those who are looking for the "list" of the objects in the DeepMap 600 - take a look here.

Thanks for that reference, it is handy to have the lists in this format, to save to my database of files as well as to print out.

I though this description to be interesting, being a gradual, slow learning long-term deep sky amateur who has yet to 'graduate' from his Messiers :p, this part where he compares the "DM 600" to the Herschel 400:

"
The Herschel 400, a compilation of 400 deep-sky "bests" compiled by The Astronomical League of Florida is culled from the 2500+ list compiled by Sir William Herschel over 200 years ago. The H400 is the normal list most amateurs "graduate to" after viewing the spectacular--but relatively few (110)--Messier objects. As rewarding as many have found the Herschel 400 to be, I believe Orion's DeepMap 600 list is superior for several reasons:

DM600 contains a list of 85 interesting double and multiple stars, and stars that exhibit interesting color..

DM600 contains a list of 22 interesting variable stars.

DM600 is more biased towards interesting galaxies and nebulae--from a modern observer's point of view--rather than uninteresting (though relatively bright) field galaxies, or, even worse, in my opinion: open star clusters like the H400 seems to concentrate on... (If you've hunted down some of the star clusters in the H400 list, you know how non-descript and unexciting many star clusters can be!)

"

I look forward to future years, hopefully, of exploring both lists of amazing objects, in addition to the Caldwell list which I have the laminated card from S&T with 109 objects on. So many objects to explore... baby steps, baby steps! :grin:

#15 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

I bought a few of these and have them placed in differt boxes. I got Mr. Wil Tirion to personally sign mine and a stake of different Atlases and books from him. I even had an hour of just me and him walking around a field full of scope for an hour just talking to him till some guys spoted him and he was ambushed for the rest of the day at the PSSG. My concern is that my stuff signed by him,other Professional and Famouse Astronomers,Astronauts,will be sold-off into the yard sale when my time to leave this life is up. Also,the younger or should I say newer astronomers,will have no idea the contribution these fine folks gave to the growth of this great Hobby,past time,science endevor..

#16 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Moondoggy,

Which year was Wil Tirion at PSSG? The last one I went to was in 2001 right after 9/11. I can't remember if he or Anton Rukl was the speaker but because the airplanes were grounded they couldn't get into the country. I will never forget the cheering that people did when Atlanta airport reopened and that first airliner flew over the state park.

As for the astronuat autographs, be sure check the values of them. Some are worth a ton of money if they are from the earlier pre Shuttle days.

#17 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've had mine for many years and after the observatory was finished I put it up on the wall where it comes in handy and is totally weather-proof. :grin:
---Maya

Attached Files

#18 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Preston,
It was the year Peach State Star Gaze was done in Tennessee and David Levy was there also.
I also have several items signed by A. Rukl when he was in GA a year or 2 earlier for PSSG. All these folks were great to meet along with their wives. One thing can be said, you can get them to sign their original work,and you can store it on your self.. But how do you feel about meeting them and getting them to sign you electronic device ?

As for Astronuats, I have Alan Shepard, John Glean, Armstrong,Collins,Buzzlight year Aldrin,etc.
Books don't need batteries,electronic breakdowns,and you can pass them down to you future generations.

#19 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

One thing can be said, you can get them to sign their original work,and you can store it on your self.. But how do you feel about meeting them and getting them to sign you electronic device ?

Great point; I like that! :D

#20 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I bought one many years ago and still have it. It doesn't get much use now but I keep it handy. It is very durable and occupies hardly any space at all. Nice to have if you are very limited with what you can take to an observing session with you....

#21 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I've had mine for many years and after the observatory was finished I put it up on the wall where it comes in handy and is totally weather-proof. :grin:
---Maya

:foreheadslap: Maya, what a great idea! I never thought of putting it on my observatory wall!

Thanks so much! :)

#22 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Preston,
It was the year Peach State Star Gaze was done in Tennessee and David Levy was there also.
I also have several items signed by A. Rukl when he was in GA a year or 2 earlier for PSSG. All these folks were great to meet along with their wives. One thing can be said, you can get them to sign their original work,and you can store it on your self.. But how do you feel about meeting them and getting them to sign you electronic device ?

Well, the autographs are cool and all--I got Rukl's when we were in Coperhill too. Got Alan Shepard, etc., etc. But that's not really my cup of tea. I enjoyed meeting these people, but having or not having their autographs on their works doesn't mean pea turkey to me.

#23 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well, the autographs are cool and all--I got Rukl's when we were in Coperhill too. Got Alan Shepard, etc., etc. But that's not really my cup of tea. I enjoyed meeting these people, but having or not having their autographs on their works doesn't mean pea turkey to me.

Me too, with one exception: I have an autographed copy of "The Martian Chronicles", which means a *LOT* to me.

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I use mine once a year when I Messier Marathon - I use it for additional targets in the neighborhood of each Messier and also during the midnight lull of the Marathon in order to raise my single-night possible target count.

At some point I will use Don Machholz's search order criteria and build Deep Map 600 target list organized by optimal search order. I've been tempted to do the same for Objects in the Heavens (Peter Birren's field guide for small scopes).

Regards,

Jim

#25 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Mr. Tirion was a delight when I spent an hour with him on the field,just me and him. So I got to pic his brain. My story goes like this. I went to PSSG to meet this well known person in the Astronomy field. I had just gotten to the Star Party in the early afternoon and was trying to find a trail on to the Observing field. I heard someone yell at me,and I waited for this man to come closer so I could hear him better. He wanted to find a way on the field since there was treeline and ask me the way. Well we made our way threw an opening. I introduced myself and he told me he was Wil Tirion. My Jaw just droped :jawdrop: and I was so excited and honored and told him that I came to hear and hopefully meet him. He smiled and we started our Journey walking. We spent an hour walking around the field talking about everything. Things about his Job to things about his homeland and everything in between. A dream come true to me since I was New in Astronomy,and for me Astronomy was my true hobby I fell in love with and kept me wanting more...
I remember him asking me why people decorated their Dobs with Stars and other Space related stuff. I just laugh :lol: and told him we do thing like that here over here in America. :pulpdnc: Kind of reminds you when you put MAG Wheels on Cars and fancy paint jobs on our cars. He just laugh,since he must have realised that people in different countries do different things. We walked around and was looking at different equipment,until some folks spoted us,and then they came running in droves to get his autograph. He is just a normal person as the rest of us,but has done some outstand work threw the years and still does. My sign copy is in a frame,and I keep one on myself and another with my field equipment. This is a great tool, weather resistent,No GPS needed,EMP protected ! :dabomb:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics