Explore Scientific Apos

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Are they going to have sliding dew shields some day? I used to have an ES 127 APO (I miss that scope!!!!) and the reversible dew shield was a bit of a hassle.

#2 Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Burnaby, BC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Get the Meade version of it

#3 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

They do now. All new ES APO's have the sliders. Seen it personally on the 80mm and am told by ES support that the 102 and 127mm's will be that way as well.

#4 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

That clunky dew-shield was one of the biggest drawbacks of the ED127 IMO. Glad to hear they're getting rid of it!

#5 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I don't have any issues with that clunky one.

#6 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I never minded the removable dew shield, putting it on and taking it off just became part of the setup process, which on my alt az mount took all of 7 or 8 minutes.

#7 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Me neither. ;)

Bill

Attached Files

#8 dodgerm37

dodgerm37

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: N.E Ohio, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

I can't really say, YET! I ordered an ED 127 triplet in December and STILL awaiting shipment. Last eta was March maybe. Oh well, no choice but to wait and wait some more. At least the weather is lousy! Clear skies someday, Bob

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

I never minded the removable dew shield, putting it on and taking it off just became part of the setup process, which on my alt az mount took all of 7 or 8 minutes.

Sliding dew shields are just so much handier and you don't have to find a place to store the darn thing if you take it off.

Jon

#10 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

The 4 inch triplet is still on the ES website, but I cant find it on anyone else's web site.
Is it still made? Who sells it?

Steve

#11 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

They are replacing the old aluminum one with a carbon fiber one. It is due for release in March.

#12 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have the ED127CF with the reversible dew shield, and I was mulling this over, since I ordered the ED152CF and it still has the reversible one, which seems like a disappointment for such a fine scope. But in thinking it over, I thought perhaps it was/is ok because I can control if I want to put it on or not, use a longer lighter dew shield, leave it off totally, and not have to worry about dirt getting into the gap and scratching the CF. I have CF bikes and components, and they can be troublesome keeping perfect w/o scratches, but then again, a mountain bike and road bike are in different environments. The dew shield stores in the case, and in the case of the 152, the case has 2 rollers and a pull out handle, ala airport suitcase.
I'm sure if the scope had a sliding dew shield I could find the same reasons why it was more convenient than a slider.
But another 20 seconds isn't going to make that much of a difference. But messing with a CF d.s. in the dark, in the winter, etc, could have consequences if fumbled or mis handled. As you can see, it can go both ways.
Regards,
Bob

#13 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Me neither. ;)

Bill

Very nice! Its own leather case. But why don't you store it on the scope in the ES case? Faster?
Regards,
Bob

#14 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I’ve never been bothered by the removable dew shield on my 127. In fact, one thing I like is that it gives me the opportunity to make my own out of Kydex or something, with built-in anti-dew/frost heat. I use the scope a lot for solar (along with a Denk II bino-viewer). I’ve found that a Baader film solar filter made for a Celestron C-5, when turned around, fits perfectly over the end of the ES dew shield. For added safety I duct-tape it on.

Perhaps it’s the way I use the scope: mostly set up on my lawn for 3 to 5 days/nights at a time, or in the field as a second scope along with my 20-inch Dob. I have a pickup truck and a 5x8 foot cargo trailer, so I have plenty of space to spread extra stuff out. I also care little what a telescope looks like. My interest is far more in what it shows.

I have had to put glow-tape on the case to keep from falling over it in the dark at places like Cherry Springs, where it blends in with the grass. Why do they make cases black?

#15 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Viking 1

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

They are replacing the old aluminum one with a carbon fiber one. It is due for release in March.

I hope march. I emailed them and they didnt have a release date. My mount is here just waiting to buy the scope

#16 shasca

shasca

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

I've had a 4" ED102 for a couple of years, and I'm sad to hear they're changing the shield. The rigid/removable design works better with cable management IMO, and even serves as a stand when working on it. Plus there's the option of switching it with something aftermarket or of your own construction. The scope is so nice I'm almost afraid to use it, now it's going to be irreplaceable. I guess they're just listening to their customers, but I hope we as customers aren't succumbing to conformity.

#17 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I've had a 4" ED102 for a couple of years, and I'm sad to hear they're changing the shield. The rigid/removable design works better with cable management IMO, and even serves as a stand when working on it. Plus there's the option of switching it with something aftermarket or of your own construction. The scope is so nice I'm almost afraid to use it, now it's going to be irreplaceable. I guess they're just listening to their customers, but I hope we as customers aren't succumbing to conformity.

You bring up some good points. I feel the same about the dew shield on my new ES ED152mmCF. At first I through, 'gee whiz, for a 6K scope, they can't put a retractable dew shield on it?", but then I pulled it out of the case, and put it on the already front end heavy OTA. I weighs 2 lbs, 6 ounces. Mine is felt lined. It could be a help for dew heatters, and others home made dew shields like you say, if you would decide not to use it /put it on. And I weighed the whole OTA with finder, DS, diagonal, and a 1 lb EP, and rings, and it was just at 30 lbs. So not using a 2 lb dew shield 'could' make a difference on a 30 lb max mount like a Atlas who's 'capacity' is 30 lbs. (it still doesn't take into affect stability in wind, etc). And you'll never scratch the CF moving it up and down. But it is a pain to pack onto the OTA for storage. I might just leave it out and transport separately, or use my 'foamie' dew shield made/bought at JoAnne's.
On the other hand, it sure would be nice just to push it down. No chance to fumble or drop or scrape.
I think we all succumb to marketing and other's ideas some time, but in this, I'm happy to have the one that comes off for its ability to let me decide 'on or off'.
Regards,
Bob

#18 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I rather like the detachable dew shield on both of my Explore Scientific APO's. I have an EL panel that I use to take flats on my ED127 and it's nice to know that the weight of the panel (small as it is) won't push the dew shield down. Even if I wasn't a fan of it, I wouldn't let it dissuade me from the refractor. The quality of the optics for the price is what drew me to them in the first place.

Up on Mt Lemmon we use a TeleVue 127NP as a finder/wide field scope on the 32" RCOS. Gravity slowly but surely pulls the retractable dew shield down over the course of a night - something that would be quite annoying to me if it were my telescope. That slowly sliding dew shield would be enough to throw off the balance quite a bit if it were on a typical amateur mount.

Mike

#19 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Having observed with refractors with and without dew shades installed/extended, I'll say this. There is good reason, if conditions support it, for observing without a dew shade installed/extended. I've seen the shades themselves affect seeing and introduce glare. Flat black really isn't. Exposed optics are better unless subject to unshielded, oblique light sources, dewy or dusty at your site.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics