AP 400 QMD auto guiding options???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: Wells, Maine 04090

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Do I have any auto-guiding options for my encoder equipped AP 400 QMD, other than the ST-4[the hand controller has a built in provision for attaching the ST-4]. I'm hoping there might be an interface that would allow me to use one of the newer self contained guide units.

thanks! -Tim

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Nope the ST-4 input is the only option. There are no other ports on the handbox. Unless you want to remove the QMD drive and replace it with a third-party one like I did on my 600. Not an inexpensive option.

#3 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

that's what I suspected but I appreciate the confirmation!

thanks, -Tim

Nope the ST-4 input is the only option. There are no other ports on the handbox. Unless you want to remove the QMD drive and replace it with a third-party one like I did on my 600. Not an inexpensive option.

#4 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Do I have any auto-guiding options for my encoder equipped AP 400 QMD, other than the ST-4[the hand controller has a built in provision for attaching the ST-4]. I'm hoping there might be an interface that would allow me to use one of the newer self contained guide units.

thanks! -Tim

You don't need to specifically use an ST-4, just a guider with ST-4 compatible outputs.

#5 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Are you saying there are such compatible units out there? The other Poster was stating to the contrary that I was stuck with the ST-4 :question:
Edit: well actually, he stated I was stuck with the ST-4 Input on the hand control box...which is what you are saying as well. So I guess my original question restated: are there Guiders with ST-4 compatible outputs which would guide my 400 QMD?

thanks! -Tim

You don't need to specifically use an ST-4, just a guider with ST-4 compatible outputs.

#6 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Errr. I assumed you were asking if the QMD controller has other guiding options like say PulseGuide over a serial port, like the GTO controller does.

And my answer was no, you must use the ST4 input.

But I didn't mean only an ST4 will work. Any darn ST4 compatible guider will work. I've used a GPUSB on my AP600E QMD for a long time. That is, before I converted it to GoTo.

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Zawijava,

Most, if not all, guiders these days have the option to use an 'st-4 compatible' cable to send commands directly to the mount. Of course, some of us choose to use 'pulse guiding' which utilizes the hand controller to input updates into the mount.

So, put simply, you can purchase any of the popular guiders on the market and as long as your mount has an ST-4 port, it'll accept commands from it.

Good luck!

#8 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sorry, likely my vagueness in posing the question. Being a long time visual observer has left me in the dark regarding much of this computer interface stuff. After reviewing the Shoe String Astronomy site I can see now that a GPUSB will work, except I'm unsure how to interface the GPUSB to the 9 pin parallel port on the 400 QMD Hand Control box...is there an adapter for this?

Errr. I assumed you were asking if the QMD controller has other guiding options like say PulseGuide over a serial port, like the GTO controller does.

And my answer was no, you must use the ST4 input.

But I didn't mean only an ST4 will work. Any darn ST4 compatible guider will work. I've used a GPUSB on my AP600E QMD for a long time. That is, before I converted it to GoTo.

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

wow you must have the old non micro stepping QMD controller. the 8000 i think?

the 9000 QMD has a standard ST-4 port.

i think you would need to buy some sort of adapter from AP for that old port. I thought you had a 9000 like I do.

#10 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yep, mine is an old one..looks like new, but it's c1994. I guess I'll put in a call to A-P and see what they can offer. Thanks everyone for your insights, very helpful! -Tim

wow you must have the old non micro stepping QMD controller. the 8000 i think?

the 9000 QMD has a standard ST-4 port.

i think you would need to buy some sort of adapter from AP for that old port. I thought you had a 9000 like I do.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics