• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I am in a project of how many open clusters I can catch with my Garrett Signature series 10x50 binoculars and I want to know a website where they publish the magnitude of the members of the cluster.

#2 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

The magnitude data you seek will, if available for the cluster, be either that of the brightest star (probably more common) or the fifth brightest star.

When this is lacking, the integrated magnitude, apparent diameter, number of members, Trumpler class and age will provide useful indicators of visibility in any particular instrument, in about decreasing order of relevance as listed here.

#3 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

The Saguaro Astronomy Club database is available on our website it contains much of the data Glenn mentioned. It is a zip file that includes the data as an Excel file and as delimited text. There is a documentation file as well.

Go to www.saguaroastro.org

Look for "Things to Download" on the left side of the start up page.

Enjoy;
Steve Coe

#4 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I am in a project of how many open clusters I can catch with my Garrett Signature series 10x50 binoculars and I want to know a website where they publish the magnitude of the members of the cluster.

Your best bet is to get a good planetarium program, display the cluster, and find out the magnitudes of the stars. The Tycho-2 catalog includes all stars that are likely to be visible in 10x50 binoculars even in ideal conditions.

#5 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Try looking at observing list for the AL Deep Sky Binocular. Most on the list are OCs. They publish the magnitude with each target. It's a great list for hunting OCs. Many are visible with 10x50s.

http://www.astroleag...oc/dsbinoc.html

#6 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Your best bet is to get a good planetarium program, display the cluster, and find out the magnitudes of the stars. The Tycho-2 catalog includes all stars that are likely to be visible in 10x50 binoculars even in ideal conditions.

Cartes du Ciel.

http://www.ap-i.net/...art/en/download

#7 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have already downloaded Cartes du Ciel.

#8 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Better yet, obtain a copy of the Cambridge Photographic Sky Atlas. For the binocular observer, this might well be the ultimate (printed) atlas. In the software world, Starry Night Pro Plus's all-sky photomosaic is even better, as you can zoom in for better detail. There's nothing like a realistic representation of what you'll see, as opposed to plotted symbols, and trying to visualize an object based on numeric data.

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

There is also a Open Cluster pin from the Astronomical League. I also second the Deep Sky pin that someone else mentioned.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics