My mods to my celesteron 102GT so far

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mayhem

mayhem

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hi there i thought id post about my overly modded Celestron 102Gt Telescope.

Mods i have done so far to the scope

1) Fitted a SkyWatcher Electric Dual-Speed Auto-Focuser. I had to cut the left arm to fit this but this is by far the best mod i have done to the scope abit its now permanent. Pictured below is the Auto-Focuser.

Posted Image
Posted Image

2) Extended the Auto-Focuser cable to 20 meters.

3) Made my own Hand Controller to Bluetooth adapter and fitted a 100m Bluetooth adapter so it works with android or my PC remotely.

4) Added a Celestron Travel Scope 70 and rings to use as a star guider at a later date. Pictured below (the camera's were just set up like this for some testing) They are normally the other way around.

Posted Image

5) Using Dumb bells to hold down the mount 4 x 2.5Kgs weights.

6) Added a modded web camera for star tracking all though after testing i don't think its good enough and it need replacing with some thing much better.

Things to do.

Get another set of rings for the 70mm, Sort out a better star tracker camera, get some better eye peace's, get a better T2 adapter that will allow me to slide in some decent eye peace's. Add a USB over Bluetooth hub so i can use less wires.

#2 mayhem

mayhem

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

here is a small vid showing every thing on the telescope except the weights.

http://www.youtube.c...I&feature=share

#3 smallscopefanLeo

smallscopefanLeo

Ranger 4

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

Gotta love that do-it-yourself-spirit! I have one too and love it, and am about to take it out here very soon, but I haven't done nearly as much as you have to it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

The single biggest potentially cheap mod that could make me happier with the scope is a way of allowing manual movement in azimuth instead of just the altitude it currently allows.

BTW, if your altitude manual motion is too loose (and mine was), it is a simply matter of tightening down a nut you can see when you remove the OTA from the mount.

#5 mayhem

mayhem

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

The best mod over all to me is the Focus. its a must for the best views. you just don't have the skills to get it as close as that can.

#6 unknown1304

unknown1304

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

how did you make the bluetooth addaptor? I would love to make one but I am not very techie...

#7 Crazyhorse1876

Crazyhorse1876

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ordered Auto-Focuser myself and can't wait to try it out. :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics