Photo

CGE Mount wont Power Up :(

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Havent run my CGE mount for a few months now due to finishing up school..and tried to power it up tonight with my 12V power source and it just wouldnt start up :(. I really am hoping it's not the mount and it's the 12V power source connected/cigarette plug that needs replacing (it has a fuse attached to it). I attached a picture of it.
Any thoughts/suggestions/comments much appreciated..thanks! :)
-Mike

Attached Files

#2 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Another

Attached Files

#3 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

last 1

Attached Files

#4 scully1234

scully1234

Vendor Stars in My Backyard

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rush, NY

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hey Mike -
Sorry to here about your mount !
You should do some basic trouble shooting :
1. Does that black and decker thing power up ? Does it have a light that comes on ?
2. I see a cigarette lighter plug on there. If you plug that into a cars cigerette lighter socket will the mount power up ?
3. Did you check the fuse to see if its blown ?

:question:

#5 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Buying/testing with CGE power adapter will be another alternative; sort of bypassing all current wires/fuses as well as to troubleshoot. Thx

#6 dp297

dp297

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think that some laptops power adaptors fit the mount's insert plug...you can test it

#7 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well...i hooked up the mount/12V power cord to my car's cigarette lighter and it didnt start up..so i can rule out the black n decker power source as the cause...my guess now is it's probably (hopefully) the 12V cord that blew a few..so ill buy a new one...anyone know where I can buy a good one that has a connection for CGE mount? Thanks ;)

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

You need a power cable with a 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug (don't get a 2.5mm one).

Radioshack has a very nice coiled version with heavier gauge wire ... the part number has been mentioned in a number of other threads on this subject. I have to say that looking at your pictures you existing cable is very light gauge. After you get everything running again I would suggest dramatically shortening the existing cable if you wish to keep using it.

I would make the investment in a cheap digital multimeter, they can be had for under $10 and will tell you right away if you have a bad cable or a blown fuse.

#9 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Another

Besides the good points Mark just gave you, see the purple plastic thing in the holder? That's your fuse. Pull it out and you'll be able to see the metal inside. If there's a gap in the metal, you blew the fuse. Replace with the same rating as the one you pulled out.

Some day you need to get a heavier duty cable....

#10 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hey guys...i havent gotten around to this in the last week due to school but i actually had a AC/DC adapter and plugged it in...and got it to work..thank god :). So now i know my CGE mount itself isnt the problem, nor does the black n decker power supply seem to be the problem, but the old fuse must have blown. *sighs* So you say at radio shack I can buy a new CGE coiled adapter/cable? Should I just bring in my old one and ask them for a beefed up version, basically? :)
Thanks guys!

P.S: The fuse had no gap in the metal, it looked connected still

-Mike

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Mike,

Radio Shack carries a nice coiled power cable. It has heavier gauge (thicker) wire than the Celestron model, it's also a bit shorter ... both good things. The connector end you need is 2.1mm x 5.5mm (and not the 2.5mm connector) ... I believe RS calls this correct connector an M style plug.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3889594

There's also a heavier 5 amp model that might be even more appropriate for a CGE mount ..
http://www.radioshac...&locale=en_U...
and with this model cable you'll also need the separate connector ...
http://www.radioshac...oductId=3807939

#12 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Why not the Celestron power cable?
Celestron Item# 18769

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Gary,

It's a very long cable (which most folks don't need) with relatively light gauge wire (not a great combination when you're drawing a few amps with the heavier mount like the CGE). While many folks use them without problems there are enough examples of those that do have issues that I wouldn't recommend one when there are better alternatives that are just as inexpensive.

It's also clear that Celestron has used different wire in these cables over the years. I have 3 of them, two that are made with light gauge wire and one that's a bit heavier (the heavier one came with my CGE mount). I'm not sure I'd gamble on which one someone would get these days.

I also like the 90° power plug on the Radio Shack version. Just remember to tape the power connector onto the end of the universal part so it won't easily come apart.

#14 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Mark,

Gotcha! I used a switchcraft connector when I modified a power cable for my CGEM. they make a 2.1 x 5.5mm w/ locking ring.

#15 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Gary,

Can you post the model/order number for that Switchcraft connector?

I'm a big proponent of homemade or modified power cables (good wire with the right connectors).

#16 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Switchcraft #767K. Check Mouser.com

#17 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

So when I go to radioshack..i basically ask for the Enercell™ Heavy-Duty 12V/5A Power Cord (8-Ft.), and Enercell™ Adaptaplug™ M? Would it be wise to get the above..and from amazon get the celestron power cable as well? (so i can have a short and long cable, depending on the situation)?
Thanks alot guys :)

#18 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you can solder, get the Switchcraft connector listed above, Radio Shack get the cigarette plug adapter and cable. Build to the appropriate length. The lock ring on the Switcraft connector insures the cable will not come loose. The enercell setup (to me) has to many points of possible failure.

#19 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

The CGE doesn't have a thread on power connector socket so the Switchcraft connector wouldn't be of any benefit.

Mike - yes, those are the two products that you'll need to order. I'd also take note of the actual product numbers, it can be sometimes a bit of a crapshoot if you use product descriptions with the RS folks over the counter ... much better to use the product numbers to be certain you're getting the right stuff.

As for the longer cable - Can you ever see a need to run your scope off of your car battery? If not you'll probably always have the battery sitting under the tripod so a longer cable won't be of any benefit. But having a longer cable in your bag wouldn't be a bad thing.

#20 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

The Switchcraft connector comes in different lengths and I think it's the one where the barrel is 12mm long that's needed. I didn't realise this and got a 10mm one and it doesn't connect on my AVX.

Chris

#21 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

The Switchcraft connector comes in different lengths and I think it's the one where the barrel is 12mm long that's needed. I didn't realise this and got a 10mm one and it doesn't connect on my AVX.

Chris

And they are available without the lockring.

#22 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thanks mark! I got exactly this at radio shack, the 5 amp version (thicker 1)..i plugged it into my car's cigarette lighter and it seems to turn on just fine..but when i plug it into my black n decker power station, nothing happens...so my power station must be dead (even though all the lights n whistles come on) Can any of you recommend a good power station that has both AC and DC power supplies...although id prefer DC since i absolutely need a cigarette lighter (AC for the laptop, but can plug that into the wall at home, for the time being).
thanks so much! Gettin closer! :)

Mike,

Radio Shack carries a nice coiled power cable. It has heavier gauge (thicker) wire than the Celestron model, it's also a bit shorter ... both good things. The connector end you need is 2.1mm x 5.5mm (and not the 2.5mm connector) ... I believe RS calls this correct connector an M style plug.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=3889594

There's also a heavier 5 amp model that might be even more appropriate for a CGE mount ..
http://www.radioshac...&locale=en_U...
and with this model cable you'll also need the separate connector ...
http://www.radioshac...oductId=3807939

#23 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Funds are kind of an issue but I want something of good quality I can use mostly in my backyard, but once in awhile out in the country...would this suffice?
http://www.amazon.co.../B004EIDD2Q/...

#24 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I just use a 115Amp/hour Deep Cycle battery for a power supply. Those little units will leave you wanting on a cold night. Even then, CCD cameras can behave poorly if you try to power too many items from one source. I actually ended up with a second battery that I power just my camera from and everything else from the 115ah.

#25 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

For "mostly in my backyard", why not an AC adapter?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics