poor go to possible reasons?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 astrogeoguy

astrogeoguy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I often have to rotate my LS8 mount a few degrees after the find north step in order that the align stars be close. Too bad Meade didn't give us a chance to correct the north azim.

#27 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I often have to rotate my LS8 mount a few degrees after the find north step in order that the align stars be close. Too bad Meade didn't give us a chance to correct the north azim.

Are you sure they didn't? The other compass-equipped Meade models have one. Look for a function labeled "Calibrate North".

#28 sandybourne

sandybourne

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Thanks JR.

I went over the time /date but think the GPS is not as accurate as I would presume maybe ?

I would say the biggest issue last evening was the 2 star set up. It would point to an area that when I looked through my 26mm eyepiece there was not one bright star in view?

The GPS is deadly accurate. However the magnetic digital compass can be influenced by various things in the environment. This means the alignment stars can be off by a fair number of degrees when doing an initial alignment. This is normal and not cause for alarm.

Thanks Chris for your advice.

#29 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

WOOT!! I had it out tonight and it it spot on!! I am very happy, and I love this scope! :love: Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still using the LNT as well.

I believe it must have been the tripod issue. I squared it up as I mentioned above. Then I tightened the tripod bolt and RA lock until I was absolutely sure I was not getting any slipping by visually checking for movement when I tried to turn the scope by hand. (it was more than I thought would be necessary) That did the trick!

As a follow up for anyone who may have similar issues I picked up a 6x6x1/16" gasket rubber and cut it into a 6" circle, then cut a hole in the center for the through bolt. Before I put the scope on the tripod I lay the rubber on top of the tripod, which creates a zero slip surface for the scope to ride on. I don't have to tighten the bolt nearly as much, and it eliminated any slipping between the metal surfaces.

#30 astrogeoguy

astrogeoguy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Nope - the LS scopes don't have a Calibrate North function. It wouldn't help if it did. It's local interference (cars, buried utilities, etc.) that throw off the north determination.

Chris

#31 vomit

vomit

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

WOOT!! I had it out tonight and it it spot on!! I am very happy, and I love this scope! :love: Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still using the LNT as well.

I believe it must have been the tripod issue. I squared it up as I mentioned above. Then I tightened the tripod bolt and RA lock until I was absolutely sure I was not getting any slipping by visually checking for movement when I tried to turn the scope by hand. (it was more than I thought would be necessary) That did the trick!

As a follow up for anyone who may have similar issues I picked up a 6x6x1/16" gasket rubber and cut it into a 6" circle, then cut a hole in the center for the through bolt. Before I put the scope on the tripod I lay the rubber on top of the tripod, which creates a zero slip surface for the scope to ride on. I don't have to tighten the bolt nearly as much, and it eliminated any slipping between the metal surfaces.

Good work, sir. I hope the LX90 gives you all it's worth. I read some of your nightmare scenario with Meade, and I am a little surprised you bought another. In all sincerity, however, that scope gave 8+ years with nary a problem.....except the Autostar *BLEEP*. I am a little worried about my new LX200....and trying to update through the ASU. For those who used Starpatch, what are your feelings on it?

Clear skies to you all....there are NONE in my immediate future. :mad:

#32 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I found Starpatch very easy to use and used it to fix up the 497EP version of the Autostar I got from you. You may also want to use Andrew Johanson's My Scope utility, depending on what issues you are having. I used that to re install the "tours" that were missing from the Autostar.

You may want to start another post to call Andrew's attention to it, and I am sure he will steer you right.

#33 vomit

vomit

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I found Starpatch very easy to use and used it to fix up the 497EP version of the Autostar I got from you. You may also want to use Andrew Johanson's My Scope utility, depending on what issues you are having. I used that to re install the "tours" that were missing from the Autostar.

You may want to start another post to call Andrew's attention to it, and I am sure he will steer you right.

Thanks. As of now, no "issues" to report except CLOUDY skies.....I did look through the scope today at the power plant in the distance. Also let it "align" and I accepted the "stars" where they said they would be. Than I slewed to Mercury....and it looked to be right on, i.e. near the sun. I am getting ornery waiting for clear skies!!

#34 sandybourne

sandybourne

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Team, after taking your advice I managed to get a great night out with my LX200 10 acf. I invested in an illuminated reticule, went through your advised set up, used Rigel and Sirius for my 2 star alignment,success, set M42 in the Autostar and spent the rest of the session having some great views of the Orion Nebula . I experimented with various eyepieces and also got to use my new 2x Tele Vue Barlow.

Thanks again team for the input :)

#35 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

For an alignment that will be more accurate in every direction, choose two guide stars that are at least 45 degrees apart and not too near the zenith.

Rigel and Sirius are relatively close together. Syncing on those two stars will be great for looking at objects in their immediate area (e.g Orion Nebula), but if you choose two stars farther apart like let's say Rigel and Regulus (on the chest of Leo) you should get remarkably accurate tracking all over the sky in any direction.

Continue enjoying!

#36 sandybourne

sandybourne

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks , will give it a go next time out.

CS

#37 sandybourne

sandybourne

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have managed to get out again and things are improving, I have invested in an RDF and my illuminated reticule is great. I am still a little way out on the GPS after the 2 star set up.

I am going to attempt to train the drives and calibrate the sensors next time out.

I am unable to see Polaris from my set up location (house in way) so is there another star option available when you are requested to center Polaris during the sensor calibration ?

#38 clmbr256

clmbr256

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

My LX200 was way off one time, turns out that the tube was loose in the forks. Also it tends not to know about magnetic declination, its consistently 10 degrees off on its magnetic north in my local observing locations. There is a magnetic anomaly where I am that affects all compasses to a varying degree. Once aligned its really good all night long. I get away with one star often if the sky only has a small area open.

One thing I really hate is that the LX200 program picks starts in the west where the sun is setting. I can see stars in the east that can be used for alignment but despite the fact that the scope is aware of both sunset and astronomical sunset it picks stars that can't be seen for half an hour or so....

When I use my wedge in Eq mode I don't use the setting circles on the scope, they are not accurate. I use a digital level to ensure that the wedge plate is flat at 45 degrees, and that the scope is level across the forks, and at 45 degrees on the tube matching the wedge angle.

The altitude setting circle is adjustable, but even properly adjusted its only roughly accurate.

#39 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

No. It must be Polaris for calibration of the internal digital compass.

Maybe consider moving the scope to a new location temporarily so you can do the sensor calibration.

#40 sandybourne

sandybourne

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for confirming that Chris.

I will try and set up in a new location,cheers.

#41 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Gday Chris/All

For the purpose of doing a cal sensors
another rough way to do it is

a) Do a std align and confirm the general pointing is OK.
B) Do a "goto" to Polaris
c) When there, even tho you cant see it
just mark your setting circles
( I use masking tape with a fine pencil line at times )

Now start the cal sensors
When it asks you to centre Polaris
just slew to the premarked positions and hit enter.
This will normally get you within 1/2 a degree or better.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics