Telescope control

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Stansbury Park, UT

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Are there any apps for controlling an lx200 via tablet?

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Sky Safari Pro

#3 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

So which bluetooh adapter is best?

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Southern Stars recommends the RN-270.

#5 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Southern Stars recommends the RN-270.

Be advised that only Android tablets/phones can control scopes via Bluetooth.

Apple does not let developers access the Bluetooth hardware so Apple users have to use WiFi adapters.

#6 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info

#7 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

all I can find are the RN-270M , and the RN-270F. does it make a difference which one? I have been looking for this answer all day. (on and off) also, can anything any cheaper than $100 be found?

Theo

#8 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

all I can find are the RN-270M , and the RN-270F. does it make a difference which one? I have been looking for this answer all day. (on and off) also, can anything any cheaper than $100 be found?

Theo

RN-270F - Female DB-9 connector
RN-270M - Male DB-9 connector

Get whichever one is most appropriate for you.

$100 sounds about right.

Reminder that only Android-based devices can use the RN-270, not iOS devices.

#9 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

oh jeeze! duh! I feel really dumb now... but the pictures for both are the same. I have a galaxy tab II, which is android 4.1 jellybean. my problem is I already have a StarSeek that I bought about a year ago to work with an IPOD Touch, but it wont work with an unrooted android device that is not AD-HOC enabled, which the Galaxy is not, and I am not willing to take the chance on bricking my $400.00 tablet. It says the other way is to use a home router, but I do not have a hardline phone or internet modem with which to set it up with. I get my internet through my cellphone. I tell ya, I come up with the wrong stuff all the time. so, the only out I got is to blow another hundred bucks on a bluetooth serial adapter. :(

Thanks, Theo

#10 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Another option is one of those new tiny routers that can be had for under $50.

#11 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I don't think any iOS app (i.e. StarSeek on iPod Touch) will not work on any Android device. You will also need to purchase a new application.

-- Andrew

#12 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't think any iOS app (i.e. StarSeek on iPod Touch) will not work on any Android device. You will also need to purchase a new application.

-- Andrew

StarSeek seems to be the name of both an iOS app as well as a WiFi-based hardware interface module.

The StarSeek WiFi modules should work just fine with Sky Safari Pro running on an Android device.

#13 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Christopher,

I don't own the product, but reading about the Orion StarSeek Wireless module on OPT's website seems to indicate it is made to work only with the StarSeek App on iOS. Then again, the wifi part should be compatible with anything wifi based. Of course the issue is then the control software itself. Still, it seems to read StarSeek is only iOS.

Now SkyFi seems to work with many versions of SkySafari Plus/Pro - iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS.

I need to get these toys for my iPad/iPhone/Mac and LX200!

-- Andrew

#14 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Never mind - I just read Starseek is just SkyFi licensed to Orion.

Small world!

#15 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

well, I am not sure what ios means,(IPOD Operating System?) but from my reading and playing with my stuff, I found most androids are not what is called "ad-hoc" enabled. when the Starseek is fired up (wi-fi) my computer sees it, and can connect to it. likewise the IPOD Touch of course sees and connects to it. my Android phone and android tablet do not see it. from what I understand they have to be rooted (read jailbroke) and the have software installed that only works with a rooted device, in order to have an "ad-hoc" network work with it.
I'll bet that my PSP will see and connect to it! I know that it has ad-hoc capability. even though SkySafari will probably not work on PSP O/S.

in addition to this , SOME Android devices ARE ad-hoc capable, but they are far and few between, and I do not happen to own one of them.

Theo

#16 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

well, I am not sure what ios means,(IPOD Operating System?) but from my reading and playing with my stuff, I found most androids are not what is called "ad-hoc" enabled. when the Starseek is fired up (wi-fi) my computer sees it, and can connect to it. likewise the IPOD Touch of course sees and connects to it. my Android phone and android tablet do not see it. from what I understand they have to be rooted (read jailbroke) and the have software installed that only works with a rooted device, in order to have an "ad-hoc" network work with it.
I'll bet that my PSP will see and connect to it! I know that it has ad-hoc capability. even though SkySafari will probably not work on PSP O/S.

in addition to this , SOME Android devices ARE ad-hoc capable, but they are far and few between, and I do not happen to own one of them.

Theo

You can get a router these days for under $50 that is about the size of a pack of Hall's Cough Drops and will allow you to connect your Android devices via WiFi to your telescopes without requiring Ad-hoc networking or rooting. They will work fine in the field, even if you don't have an upstream connection.

I hope this helps.

#17 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

iOS is the operating system used on iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches. No need to root, jail break or anything like that. As they say, "It just works". Also, I like the option of having - and I am purchasing - SkySafari for Mac OS X. Nice how this ties all together!

-- Andrew

#18 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

ok Chris, can you be a little more explicit please? what router is of what you speak? brand? model?
thanks.

theo

#19 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

ok Chris, can you be a little more explicit please? what router is of what you speak? brand? model?
thanks.

theo

There are maybe a hundred to choose from.

Go to Amazon and search for "wireless travel router" or "wireless pocket router" or "wireless tiny router".

#20 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

How do you physically connect the router to the scope?

#21 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

How do you physically connect the router to the scope?

You don't.

You connect the Skyfi box to the mount and your smartphone talks wirelessly to the Skyfi via the wireless router.

#22 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I tell ya, I come up with the wrong stuff all the time. so, the only out I got is to blow another hundred bucks on a bluetooth serial adapter. :(

Thanks, Theo

No need to panic. You can set your router up using either your phone or your tablet over WiFi. I just tested this with an old Linksys WRT54GS router and my 4th gen iPod Touch.

By default the router does not have any security enabled, and if your router is like mine, the default administrator password is admin. The user name is blank (nothing need be entered...). Just to be on the safe side, refer to the documentation.

If the router has been used and configured, then all you need to do is fire it up and press the RESET button. This wipes internal memory and restores the default settings.

Anyway, you can fire up the router, enable WiFi on your device of choice, and you should be able to connect to the router. Open your browser and type in http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter or what ever. This will take you to the router setup page.

From this point on you can set the encryption, pass phrases and so forth. HOWEVER, since you are going to use this for your telescope, I would leave the router open. Its never going to be connected to the internet, so why bother? If you do want some minimal but very effective security you can restrict access to the router by specifying which device MAC addresses to allow. In this case your phone, your tablet, and you telescope would be the only devices the router will allow to connect.

#23 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

"Anyway, you can fire up the router, enable WiFi on your device of choice, and you should be able to connect to the router. Open your browser and type in http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter or what ever. This will take you to the router setup page."

Cliff, this doesn't work either. I turn on the router, and the laptop connects to it, but the setup program does not complete. it just keeps telling me there is no internet connection. which is true, there is none. it wants a hardline eithernet connection to the internet, and I do not have one. this is the same problem I had with the last router.

http://192.168.1.1 this does not work either. I tried it on my tablet when it was connected to the router, and on the laptop when it was connected to the router... and got nothing.

so how does one connect the SkiFi to the router?

are you sure one does not need an internet connection to make these work? or at least to get them setup?

Theo

ha, ha, "wizard gets you up and running in 3 easy steps." (box advertisement)

#24 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

"Anyway, you can fire up the router, enable WiFi on your device of choice, and you should be able to connect to the router. Open your browser and type in http://192.168.1.1 and hit enter or what ever. This will take you to the router setup page."

Cliff, this doesn't work either. I turn on the router, and the laptop connects to it, but the setup program does not complete. it just keeps telling me there is no internet connection. which is true, there is none. it wants a hardline eithernet connection to the internet, and I do not have one. this is the same problem I had with the last router.

http://192.168.1.1 this does not work either. I tried it on my tablet when it was connected to the router, and on the laptop when it was connected to the router... and got nothing.

so how does one connect the SkiFi to the router?

are you sure one does not need an internet connection to make these work? or at least to get them setup?

Theo

ha, ha, "wizard gets you up and running in 3 easy steps." (box advertisement)

It depends on the router in question but most of the time a few simple manual configuration changes in the router will get everything going. Usually a couple of manual route entries in the routing table is all it takes to force the router into operation, even though it doesn't have an upstream connection. The changes required will depend on the particular router you are using.

#25 Ham Radio

Ham Radio

Viking 1

• Loc: Baxter, Mn

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Another address for routers is 192.168.0.1

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics