Photo

Binoscope HD tall tripod Vs. Rob Miller Tri36M/H ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi everybody,
How does the Binoscope HD Tall tripod compare to the Rob Miller Tri36M or Tri36H ??
Does anybody have direct experience with the stability and other parameters of these tripod lines?
The HD line is stated to be able to handle 220Lbs, as for the Rob Miller line I coudn't find any precise data.
I need your help to determine which would be the best for carying both an AP heavy Load (about 150-180 Lbs total weight including mount+ counterweights +OTA + Cameara + accessories ) as well as a lighter load, mounting a long refractor + DM6 on the tripod. (without crawling on the floor for senith visual observing).

Any and all help and comments are most wellcome.

#2 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have the Tri36M which as I have mentioned in earlier threads is a truly exceptional tripod. Its capacity is *MUCH* more than 220lb. Think more than 2x that.
It seems like people are not able to make contact with Rob. That is unfortunate as his tripods are unmatched in performance/price and capacity/weight.

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Whelp, I'm gonna give Joe and the Binoscope tripod a shot. Since Rob is not making tripods for a while, and he may not be able to make them with a 360 degree rotating top (which I have been looking for for a while), I decided to try one of these for my iEQ30 (in order to lighten and speed my workflow in the field, as the iEQ30 pier is great, but it's a handful at 3am and 25 degree cold).

Joe's been extremely responsive to emails and even called me back in response to my first one. I need to get the top of the pier to him (one week turnaround he's said), as he wants to make double sure that he builds the mounting plate correctly so it matches up - and I don't blame him.

After that, I'll let y'all know. Now, my load is light (less than 50lbs with scope, guidescope, cameras, etc. and mount head), so, knock on wood, hopefully no difficulties.

I'll let y'all know when I get it and try it out.

Paul

#4 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Psandele,
True about Rob, I send him e-mails 3 weeks ago, still no answer. Outside of that there are only rumors and myths about when he is going to be starting production of tripods again. Unfortunately, since I may need the tripod for some quite heavy duty loads, I need the Tripod to end all tripods :shrug: :lol:

Korborh,
True I have heard lots of good things about these tripods. Unfortunately, there are no specs in any website he has and he is not responding to any e-mails I send.

What a bummer :tonofbricks:

If anyone has a telephone number or a valid e-mail where I can call him directly and find out when production and sale is going to be resumed, please PM me the details.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

the Berlebach Sky is also a worthy competitor. It is quite pricey though.

Rob Miller tripods seem to be really good bang for the buck. Maybe he stopped making them because he wasn't making money on them?

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Rob had said they're starting a new company (reorganizing the old one?) and that's why there's a hiatus. If there were a more definite date than March/April from him, I might wait, but I am an impatient lout and want it ALL now!

Anyway, Joe's been extremely communicative on stuff, so I'm going to give it a try. His binoscopes have been drool-worthy for years, so how bad can the tripods be?

Also, Joe's is plenty tall, and I have a fractor for visual (though that may be relegated to the pier).

Berlebach - I am a non-wood guy. I don't know why. No real reason that I can think of. But it's the 360 degree rotating that sold me most on the Joe's stuff.

Paul

#7 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hi Orly,
Is the Berelbach Sky more expensive than the Tri36H ?
Unfortunately I dont have any price information for any of Rob's tripods so I cant compare.

Psandelle,
Seems like Joe's tripods will be best for a refractor ( 65" tall at maximum and if thats not enough there you could always slap an extension pier on top. and there's the rotating top table ( seems like you cant go wrong with this).

#8 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

berlebach sky @ 1500 EUR !!!

Paul, I actually prefer wood over CNC aluminum. If you ding a Rob Miller, it's dinged forever. Ding a Berlebach, and wood putty plus stain will restore it.

I was looking at the Planet for my Mach1 as it is "only" 550 EUR, 1/3 the price of the Sky. But I am a cheap *BLEEP*... I found this $75 Celestron tripod from the 80's on the classifieds... and the ADATRI bolts onto it perfectly, no adaptation needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm paying the price - a Mach1 should handle a C11 no sweat, but mine is struggling with a 9.25 at native FL. But it was $75!!!

#9 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Korborh,
True I have heard lots of good things about these tripods. Unfortunately, there are no specs in any website he has and he is not responding to any e-mails I send.

This is what I dug up from his old email "The max load rating on the Tri36M is 500 lbs and 750 lbs for the Tri36H"

What I can tell you is that it is so good, forget about the specs.
I just hope SB did not have any role in him suddenly stopping to make these given SB is selling his tripods with heavy markup (2x price). I know - conspiracy theory and illegal but I want to speculate. :question:

#10 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi Paul,

I have Joe's Tall Tripod with G11 mount base. I use it with G11/Vixen SXD/DM-6/T-REX/Halfhitch/Joe's binoscope fork mounts with various scopes.

In terms of rigidity, Tall Tripod is similar to Berlebach Planet, weaker than Losmandy HD/FHD tripod.

When I want to go light, I use Tall Tripod. When I need more stability, I go with Losmandy FHD.

Here is 150mm binoculars (60lb) on Tall Tripod:
Posted Image

TMB 130SS f7/T-REX on Tall Tripod:
Posted Image

Vixen VMC260/SXD on Tall Tall Tripod on right:
Posted Image

TSA102S/Super Halfhitch on Tall Tripod on left:
Posted Image

If I had a chance to buy Rob Miller's tripod, I would :)

Tammy

#11 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Korborh,
Yes, I saw what SB are marketing and it looked suspiciously similar to the Rob Millers (even though the construction looked different mechanically from the Tri 36 line, but the red anodizing and the aluminum styling reminded me of his style).
If this is true, its shamefull, but a man has got to make a living.

We will wait and see :lol:

#12 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Tamiji - thanks for the info. You're the first person that's come forth with one of these. How do you think the tripod will do for astrophotography? I have, including the iEQ30 mount head, less than 50lbs of load - do you think that will be stable enough for AP? Joe says it should be more than fine, and I would think so...but you have one of these, so...if it's not too much trouble, what do you think?

Thanks,

Paul

ps - nice scopes and binocs!

#13 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Psandelle,
It looks like the HD tall will easily handle my 20Lbs of a DM6 +45 Lbs 12" LX200R OTA for visual only.
However, I plan on getting an MX soon and this brings me to 50Lbs. Mount + 50Lbs counterweights +45 Lbs LX200R + 10-15 Lbs of camera and accessories which will bring me inconveniently over the recommended 50% of Toatl capacity for AP.
So I am still gonna wait till the Rob Miller Scenario clarifies.
If this does not happen within a couple of months I may change my mind.

#14 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Paul, considering that I am pulling 10 minute subs at 2350mm off my $75 tripod, I suspect that Joe's tripod will be far more than enough for your AP requirements :D

#15 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

orly - it's the paranoid in me. But I'm giving it a try, so I'll let everyone know. Joe is VERY responsive to emails and answers all my questions, so I'm appreciative of that.

Paul

#16 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Paul,
If you get this HD tall Tripod we will greatly appreciate some closeup photos of the 360 degree rotating tripod table as the pickies at Joe's website do not show it.
keep us updated about how this works out for you.
Thanks for sharing

#17 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

well.. i am going to eventually want to replace my $75 tripod. And the Losmandy HD/FHD is way too bulky and heavy. so I am also awaiting your review of Joe's tripod. :)

#18 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Will do. The top of my pier is being USPS'd 1st class, and when it arrives, Joe and I'll talk about when, where and how. When I get the tripod, I'll take pics and put them up.

Joe did give me tolerances and stuff on the rotating table (I didn't want there to be flex and shifting, so I asked) and it sounds pretty snug and tight - so, hopefully, it should be a winner.

Paul

#19 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Since Rob is not making tripods for a while, and he may not be able to make them with a 360 degree rotating top (which I have been looking for for a while)

Rob's mount adapter plate on the Tri36 does have a 360 rotating top. You have to loosen 6 grub screws and can rotate it and then lock it. The adapter plate is like a dovetail fit. The 360 rotation can be useful if one is setup mount/scopes during the day and later found too far off azimuth for polar align - the top can be rotated and get you back to where the mounts' fine adjustment can be used.

#20 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

korborh - dang, sounds good, but since Rob's out of commission for the moment, I'm gonna try Joe's. A drag, but there it is....

Yeah, no matter what I do, which compass I use, I'm always JUST far enough off when I set up that I have to move the pier a tiny bit...which throws off all that wonderful leveling I did during the daylight hours.

Thanks,

Paul

#21 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes joe is good to work with.

#22 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Korborh,
How many different types of Mount Adap\ter plates can Rob Make ?
I am particularely interested in Something that can attach to a DM-6 but can also be exchanged to take a PMX or an EQ6.

#23 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

He made Bisque and AP mount adapters - not sure about others. Only Rob can answer. Hopefully he will be back in business soon.

#24 atroder

atroder

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

I have Rob's DM-6 adapter plate for the Tri36L. Works very well.

#25 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Atroder,
Thanks for the Info. This is good news.
Do you use the DM6 with the Discmount 8" extension pier ? I will be using a long 130mm Refractor on it and it looks like some kind of extension will be needed if I want to avoid crawling and contorting to look at the Zenith,
I am also considering Robs extension piers or an AP extension But I dont know what will be the best if I also wish to mount an MX mount on the tripod.
If you know what's best to use let me know
Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics