Digital Media: Nat'l Geographic 'The Complete'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ok, finally decided to install the CD based set to look for articles and maps.

After a quick install I did a search on Saturn... too broad returned a lot about the launch vehicle! as well as the planet and the solar system. Saved all the indexs to a read list and opened a few maps to see what the would look like. Well they look like the real thing! ;) Very nice and hold up very well to mag and enlarge > there is even a 'PRINT' button but I've no printer to test it out on< it did require Adobe 'Air' be installed but since this is my processing box it is on I'm well prepared for anything graphic if I ever decide to print at home again. I've had this on the shelf for too long, and call me lazy and lax - it's true.

This is very 'robust' on fist time through, nice visuals and tabbing, etc.

Has anyone else used this to browse for their astronomy related articles?

Attached Files

#2 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Enjoy--It looks like this DVD series is out of stock at National Geographic.

#3 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for looking this over. It has been on my Want List along with the Astronomy Magazine DVD (1972-2010) set for a couple of years. It contains "the entire sets of Deep Sky and Telescope Making magazines!" Something I missed out on since the astro bug didn't bite until about 10 years ago.

For the last 10 years my step daughter has given me a Christmas subscription of Nat Geo. So I haven't missed out too much with it. :)

peace & clear skies,

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Bob, Carl - thanks. So easy to get completely sidetracked with this software. I decided to just do a search scrolling through the covers, and then when you mouseover it pops up all the articles and maps(if)... My processing box screen is not small, but makes me want one larger. The maps and fold outs are fantastic quality, as is the imagry. Problem is it's too easy to just start reading the entire issue (it includes all the original advertising! sometimes quite a hoot!) as so many differnt topics.

I'm thinking again as well about getting other collections S&T or Astronomy, esp if they have as nice a user interface, screen adjust interface, multi tier search(can search withing results in different ways), bookmark features.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics