Photo

imaging saturn and jupiter exposure times?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hello, obviously new at astrophotography.
what exspoures times and iso settings should I be using?
I always seem to wash out pictures
I am using meade 8 inch with nikon d40x
thanks

#2 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Really, you're going to struggle trying to image planets with single exposure capture. the most successful way to go is using video based planetary imaging. more of a webcam approach. video capture allows you to harvest many hundreds of frames, then use software to eliminate the bad frames and stack the good ones.

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

You might ask this question in the Solar System Imaging Forum but you will find that most use cameras that actually take video and then you stack hundreds or thousands of frames to capture subs when the atmosphere becomes very transparent. You can still capture images with your camera, you want to use as short an exposure as possible so experiment with exposures and ISO settings. Not sure how you are focusing but I would suggest investing in, or making your own Bahtinov Mask. This tool produces three spikes on opposite sides of the star. You know you have reached focus when the center spike exactly splits the other two spikes. Then go to the planet you are trying to image and you know you have it in sharp focus and try your different settings. If your camera will take images in rapid succession, take a number of images and then stack them in a program such as Registax or Avistack which will help you bring out the most detail in your images.

#4 orionn1

orionn1

Vostok 1

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

thanks for info

#5 HenryV1598

HenryV1598

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I second the motion on the bahtinov mask. I get MUCH better focuses (foci?) with it. I've done planetary three ways. I've done single exposures of up to a second (depending on ISO speed), which rarely give me a decent view. I've done several single exposures and stacked them. And I've done videos. I do all this through a nikon d5000. The video method, stacked using Registax, has been, by far, the best way to shoot planets.

I'm guessing your camera can do some video. That's the way to go. With single frames, I have a remote to snap the shutter. With video, I don't need it - just hit the button on the cam to start and stop. I can drop the first and last few seconds and still have a lot of good frames to work with. The video on mine records at 24 frames per second, so a 30 second avi gives me 720 frames to work with, give or take. I've done more, but there's really diminishing returns doing more than 30 sec at a time - and the longer the video, the longer the processing. I'd take several 30 second videos,stack them individually, and pick your best.

I can also adjust the video quality. I normally just go with 720p, and get some really good resolution. Your mileage may vary.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics