Pentax 10.5 XL

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Purchased one of these gems recently off of the used market. I have never really owned one of the true "premium" level eyepieces. I have limited my eyepiece collection to middle of the road priced (mostly used) EPs that get good reviews. I won't be changing that anytime soon, but I have to say first light with the Pentax really impressed me. Seeing was bad, and transparency was fair at best last night here in Kentucky. Popped in the 10.5 and E and F trapezium stars literally jumped at me--and it wasn't even totally dark yet. To say stars were pinpoint to the edge would be an understatement. I am impressed, and thankful to have the opportunity to own such a fine eyepiece.

#2 leonard

leonard

Viking 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hello ,

You have a real gem there in the 10.5 XL . The buzz around here is its one of the best of the XL series .
I am forever sorry I sold my 7mm XL and will hold my 10.5 mm and 21 mm XL's for as long as I can observe.

:jump: Enjoy , Leonard

#3 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

I too noticed the same thing when I got my very first XL and XW. The clarity in those eyepieces immediately showed me more minute detail in the bands of Jupiter, detail in globulars and more.

I've been raving about Pentax eyepieces ever since that first night when I got mine!

Cheers,

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

S&S Optica in Denver just got in a whole bunch of Pentax XW (may have been XLs) somebody sold to them (light green long boxes). She knows the guy who sold them, and they are in excellent shape. So, Pentax lovers, here's a chance to save.....

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Welcome to Pentax!

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yea, just stopped off there to pick my CG4 back up (had it motorized). Saw the 7mmXW there....its now in my eyepiece bag.....This is the most money I have ever spent on an eyepiece....of course, we have high sirrus clouds now....

#7 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

When I compared the Pentax 7mm XL to my Meade 8.8mm Ultra Wide, it was obvious. The diehard Meade UWA boy was done! I sold all of my UWA's and the 22 Panoptic and replaced them with the 5.2,7,10.5,14,and 21 XL's.
Are there any regrets?? Yes, one.... I should have done it a long time ago!!
You can try the others next time we are observing together. But I must warn you, once you try them, you're sucked into buying the rest of them!!!

#8 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Welcome to Pentax!

Very true. I've been through or used all the wide-fields and must say, glad I finally tried a Pentax. First series I've felt very content with.

#9 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

When I compared the Pentax 7mm XL to my Meade 8.8mm Ultra Wide, it was obvious. The diehard Meade UWA boy was done! I sold all of my UWA's and the 22 Panoptic and replaced them with the 5.2,7,10.5,14,and 21 XL's.
Are there any regrets?? Yes, one.... I should have done it a long time ago!!
You can try the others next time we are observing together. But I must warn you, once you try them, you're sucked into buying the rest of them!!!

Hey there Ross. Have not had a chance to barlow yet. Do they barlow well in your scope(s)? I might have a balance issue on my scope with a barlow. Not sure though.

I'm already working on thinning the herd in case the 14XL comes along :grin:

#10 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

[/quote]Hey there Ross. Have not had a chance to barlow yet. Do they barlow well in your scope(s)? I might have a balance issue on my scope with a barlow. Not sure though.

I'm already working on thinning the herd in case the 14XL comes along :grin: [/quote]

The Pentax will do quite well with a quality barlow. I've not used a barlow with my scope. With the 2535mm focal length, I've not had any need in buying one.....yet.... ;)
The 14mm is an absolute sweet eyepiece. If I really had to classify most favorite to least favorite (you really can't do that because they are all so good) but if I did, the 10.5 and 14 would tie for the top spot. Mind you, that is only my opinion.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics