• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Why not ask Barry, who makes the T-Rex, if he will make the mount for the JMI motors? He would have more interest in having that option available than JMI.

/Ira

I will be looking into this again. Besides the motor mount, the real trick is getting a motor than can run direct drive rather than having to implement a belt or gear drive (which simply complicates things). That requires getting a fair amount of torque from a fairly small motor.

#27 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

The JMI motors work great without belts or gears, but they are not fast like motors on a CGEM. They are intented only to replace the slo-mo part of the scope. So you would still manually push the mount to a constellation and then use the JMI motors to scan around in that constellation, which I think is what everyone wants to do with these motors. Motors like this are very very quiet, someone standing 20 feet away could not hear these motors at all.

I will have my homemade/JMI solution finished soon and will post pictures. JMI did ask me to send them pictures and dimensions so they might be planning to go ahead and make the mount brackets. It just depends on how many people email them and say they are interested in putting a track-n-train on the T-Rex.

#28 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thanks 10gauge and Lane :grin: So I went ahead and ordered the T-Rex...now to concentrate on the motorization. Take it away Ed!

Clear Skies,
Brian

#29 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

So now on to the next part. This pic shows the Manny Miles mod for the Porta II that allows the OTA to sit more "naturally" in the saddle. You out there Manny? How about doing this for the T-Rex as a potential project? :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

Attached Files

#30 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well JMI got some emails from T-Rex owners and are now more interested in the mount. They might make the motor mounts after all. I am going to help them out by supplying them one of my mounts as a guide. We will just have to wait and see if they follow through.

#31 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Congratulations Brian on the T-Rex! Looking forward to your next AP photos...
BTW, Orion heard you - they moved up the date by 2 wks to 4/23/2013. :fishing:

George

#32 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well JMI got some emails from T-Rex owners and are now more interested in the mount. They might make the motor mounts after all. I am going to help them out by supplying them one of my mounts as a guide. We will just have to wait and see if they follow through.

That's cool Lane, I sure hope they do come through...if not we'll figure out a solution.

Clear Skies
Brian

#33 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations Brian on the T-Rex! Looking forward to your next AP photos...
BTW, Orion heard you - they moved up the date by 2 wks to 4/23/2013. :fishing:

George

Thanks George :grin: The T-Rex looks awesome and I already have a few ideas for modding it. I'd like to fill my waiting time imaging but winter seems to have finally caught up to us in Virginia and the seeing is trash. I think the jet stream is parked over my house, and they promise us a "wintery mix" here tomorrow :snowedin:
That's funny about Orion; wish we really did have that kind of influence...

Clear Skies,
Brian

#34 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

I am not sure I am understanding why you guys are interested in motorizing the T-Rex. The whole point of having it to begin with is to enjoy the simplicity, as you say Lane, it just pops out and back into the bag almost fully assembled. If you add motors, you'll have to carry a battery. Why not just get a regular eq mount then?

The T-Rex is a fantastic mount. It is VERY fun to use. I sold mine a while back, but am contemplating another because I miss playing with it. It handled my Edge HD 11 with ease. The manual workings of it make you one with the mount. Adding motors would destroy that feeling, and complicate things. The Sky Commander is fun and more than adequate for an altaz mount.

Good luck, Chris

#35 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Brian, here is all you need to know about the Rex...

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2699

#36 wrz0170

wrz0170

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bethlehem, Pa

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

This review was a huge help in making my decision in favor of the T-Rex. I don't have any regrets. As mentioned before, it is a joy to use. Even the wife remarks how easy the controls are. It handles my SV80ST as well as my C9.25 Edge.

#37 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I am not sure I am understanding why you guys are interested in motorizing the T-Rex. The whole point of having it to begin with is to enjoy the simplicity, as you say Lane, it just pops out and back into the bag almost fully assembled. If you add motors, you'll have to carry a battery. Why not just get a regular eq mount then?

The T-Rex is a fantastic mount. It is VERY fun to use. I sold mine a while back, but am contemplating another because I miss playing with it. It handled my Edge HD 11 with ease. The manual workings of it make you one with the mount. Adding motors would destroy that feeling, and complicate things. The Sky Commander is fun and more than adequate for an altaz mount.

Good luck, Chris

Hi Chris,

I understand where you are coming from but different folks have different requirements. Adding a battery to the gear is nothing compared to what I have to do when taking a complete Atlas to the field...the T-Rex will be in business just as quick with the motors as without. I often do a lot of high power observing during a session and that is why I want slow motion control, but I have increasing arthritis issues with my hands. Turning knobs can become painful after a while, not so pushing a button and that's why I want the motors. I will still be able to set up with minimal effort, slew quickly, find my targets with Sky Commander, AND observe at high power for long periods if I want to; so there is a method to the madness. I'm not afraid to mod a piece of gear if it will make it more convenient and efficient for me; the T-Rex will be no exception. And as you said, it handled your C11 Edge with no problem and that is one of the OTAs I have as well, also a C925 and a TEC 140 - and the T-Rex should be just the visual observing ticket for all of them :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

#38 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Chris!

Clear Skies,
Brian

#39 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

This makes me very happy. Thanks dude!

#40 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oh, an Atlas and counterweights. Okay, now I understand your comparison better Brian. Good luck with the motors and please post pictures as I and many others would be curious as to how they work.

You are going to love the Rex, and Ed and Barry provide excellent support. Just make sure you get the right color!

Good luck with your project. Actually, it sounds like fun!

Thanks, Chris

#41 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Not talking about loud goto motors here, just simple slo motion motors, very quiet and powered by a single 9 volt battery in the hand controller. My main goal is a super quiet mount for use at campsites, but capable of handling a big scope and easy to setup.

Also these motors are not fast, you still push the mount to the general location you want to view and then use the motors. I have not timed it but it would probably take somewhere around 10 seconds to move the scope from Rigel to Sirius.

#42 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Understood. I would like to see your finished product!

#43 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

You will

#44 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

What would be an upgrade saddle to the Orion Pro AZ/EQ? Is the ADM DSAD-EQ6 Losmandy saddle ideal?

Thanks

#45 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

What would be an upgrade saddle to the Orion Pro AZ/EQ? Is the ADM DSAD-EQ6 Losmandy saddle ideal?

Thanks

I'm not sure if anyone has provided any measurements on the AZ/EQ yet to know if the ADM saddle will fit on one or either end of the mount yet.

#46 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Good point. I also wonder if including encoders has impacted the ability to mod the Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G... :question:

Clear Skies, Brian

#47 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Good point. I also wonder if including encoders has impacted the ability to mod the Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G... :question:

Clear Skies, Brian

What mod would you be thinking about?

#48 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi Ed,

I'm a fan of the ADM dual saddles for instance...would they be doable? How about putting in Telescope Drive Master (TDM)?

Clear Skies,
Brian

#49 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I can tell you for certain the ADM can make a saddle and drill custom holes to your specifications. I ordered a saddle from ADM a few years ago and sent them a detailed diagram with dimensions for the custom holes I wanted drilled and there was no extra charge either.

#50 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hi Ed,

I'm a fan of the ADM dual saddles for instance...would they be doable? How about putting in Telescope Drive Master (TDM)?

Clear Skies,
Brian

I'm sure that ADM will come up with something. I don't know about the TDM but I would think that the connection would be similar to the Atlas since the same polar scope is in use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics