Photo

Saturn Feb 5th decent set - dry spell over?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

After getting home from work about midnight, I decided to try for a "sucker hole" in the atmosphere. Clear Dark Skies estimated 3+ seeing and the NOAA satellite animations showed I would not have any of water vapor and clouds to contend with for the rest of night. Jupiter was too low, as it takes about 2 hours to set up El Gigante.

So, I went for Saturn. This set is one quick processing in R6 and very little PS other than to make montage. Combined in AstraImage. But, have more AVIs to do.

There are some spots that appear in the region of last year's storm remnant. But, I haven't confirmed these are part of it. And, the hexagon is partially visible. Whoo Hoo, I didn't expect it! But, with the tilt, I imagine we will see more images of it.

C14, DMK21 (618) and 4000 frames. Comments welcome. I sure hope the dry spell is over. Thanks. :jump:

Paul

Attached Files

#2 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Lovely set, Paul.

#3 mitovka

mitovka

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia, CE

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Great result!

#4 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks, Gentlemen.

I've kinda gleaned thru most of the AVI's. This set appears likely to be the best. But, I think the seeing was only average. Still better than the past couple months.

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Paul,

Very nice! I hope this means that just maybe our seeing is turning around. I was out this morning and had to use the hair dryer on the corrector plate. I didn't think it was that moist. I don't think that my seeing was as good as yours.

Paul

#6 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks. I sure hope things are turning around, Paul. But, the way the NOAA animations looked, I felt like it was luck and we will get these pauses in jet stream dips and more of the steady air from the west...probably dodging it into March. :lol:

I kept looking up at my corrector. Fortunately, the dew didn't begin to fall until I was exhausted and ready to hang it up.

#7 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• Loc: Norway

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Looking good Paul :waytogo:

#8 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Very nice Paul.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Excellent job for the first of the season Paul - congratulations! :waytogo:

When are we going to see the obligatory North Polar Projection map.....I'm sure it'll show well, especially if you do a slightly heavier processing to accentuate that region - it matters little if you have to heavily denoise other detail to get a nice, clearly demarked NPZ hex with the PP.

In case you (or others!) don't know, PP's are dead simple.....you just do an "Alignment Frame" measurement of the channel(s) you want to use (or the rgb combined one if you want colour) and create the .ims file just as you would for any WinJupos combine (using mine or other tutes) and then in "Analysis>Map computation" load said .ims file you've created and try the "Polar projections" (eg, "Stereo") options - the maps are quickly and simply generated but it's good to follow WinJupos recommendation for sizing in the little "Map width" window for the optimum image size...

Also, try the iR742nM because it's something I've been working on for some PP's with captures yesty & this morning myself.....worth experimenting! :)

#10 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Excellent shots!

#11 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Congratulations Paul, really nice result, particularly impressive R & IR. Certainly off to a good start.
Have not long come in from my observatory and have some very nice data to play with also.

Regards
Trevor

#12 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thanks to all. Was it just a week or 2 ago, I was whinin'? Well, you never know how it will go and have to keep trying... :shrug:

I would like to try a polar projection, Darryl. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Trevor. I'm looking forward to your next set of images.

The video sets were collected within 6 minutes. So, I didn't try combining in WinJUPOS. But, I'll take the plunge. I was in such a hurry to set up that I didn't get to try Metaguide either. (Hat tip, Steve Fugardi.) And, collimated quickly using Spica. It wasn't perfect. But, it was pretty good.

I don't quite like the color balance in the RGB. Still playing around with it. Some of the other sets are ok. But, it looks like this set is the best.

Here is one from 1015UT

Attached Files

#13 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ok. I lied. Got one more, IR-RGB, 1117UT. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files

#14 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Nice work Paul, well done! Hope you get even better seeing soon, it can get frustrating when numerous outings are plagued with dodgy conditions.

Glenn

#15 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks, Glenn. You were encouraging when I needed it. When I first grabbed a live screen view through the infrared filter the detail just popped into focus. Not so good in green. And, the blue was no surprise. I'm glad I didn't take out the C8! But, I had more than 2 hours, ample time to set up the C14.

#16 Az Frank

Az Frank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Excellent results Paul! All around some nice early Saturn results! Keep them coming.

#17 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Super images Paul!

#18 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, Frank and Stuart.

Maybe it is a good thing, Frank, you decided to go with new new computer and camera rather than buying the C14? There were a couple other folks interested. But, I think I'll keep it. If I wasn't remodeling a house, I'd be building an observatory. Set up and take down is grueling. But, in a good way.

Thanks again.

Paul

#19 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Paul, excellent Saturn! I'm still waiting to see my first Saturn, hoping for at least average seeing which hasn't come yet. Waking up to 7degF with a CSC prediction of poor seeing just doesn't sound good for tomorrow. Thanks for posting!

Regards,
Steve

#20 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wow. Sorry, I can't relate to 7degF...
We got down to 14degF a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I've seen a sheet of ice on our swimming pool. And it is 40 years old.

I didn't get a chance to try out Metaguide. But, I used the Cool Edge for almost 2 hours before starting to capture video. Thanks for the tips and comments. Hope good seeing is just around the corner for you, Steve.

Paul

#21 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't that I've seen such a good IR-RGB Saturn before! I was out this AM for the 1st time this Saturn season and the seeing was horrible, 2/5 at best! I'm inspired by you to keep trying despite the sinking altitude!

Mike

#22 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Mike.

Horrible has been the norm here, too.

I don't quite understand why. But, trying to get a "normal looking color balance" in AstraImage IR-RGB combine always seems challenging. Freddy has real good results with his IR-RGB combines of Jupiter using WinJUPOS...something I need to do with this data. When I took the TIF over to Photoshop, it was easier to play around with the color and actually have IR enhance the detail. Dumb luck, maybe.

Paul

#23 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Paul, you're not going to believe this but now I have a 2ft blizzard hitting tomorrow and will have to snowblow a 400ft path to my observatory. Please send some nice conditions eastward...

Regards,
Steve

#24 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Nice Paul, I hope to try for Saturn tomorrow morning, don't have high hopes for the seeing though, after that it's back to the rain here.

#25 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ya, we clouded up Friday and it is spoiling weekend star parties. Thanks, Shawn and good luck with your imaging session.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics