• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've got an SBIG ST-10XME and have been using it for many years with the included AC power supply.

I am in the process of converting my field setup to all DC operation. I have all of the equipment accounted for except the ST-10. Unfortunatly, it looks like SBIG may have discontinued the DC power supply for the older ST series cameras.

Does anyone know of an alternative that would work? SBIG provides the pinouts for the connector, so it would be pretty easy to make up a cable if I could find a good quality DC power supply with the correct 12v and 5v outputs.

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Wade

#2 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

This is a hard to find item. SBIG has someone mod an Elpac WM220-1 AC/DC power supply to a DC/DC one by looking at my power supply I got from them. It has a DC/DC converter unregulated board added with the AC portion of that supply removed. This is an unique supply for 12V operation.

Best bet is to place a want ad for The SBIG supply. The other option is to buy a plug-in cigarette lighter inverter at 75 watts at Radio Shack (Cat # 55038533 ) for your AC supply for better efficiency than the larger metal brick ones.

Joe

#3 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wade,

I don't know if the connector is any different for the ST-10 being that it's a bit older design and a different form factor than my ST-8300, but here's what I found. The power cable for my AP900 (Part Number CABLPF) is a perfect fit for my ST-8300, so I ordered another one for the camera. Plugs right into my 125ah trolling motor battery, problem solved. Admittedly, it's a bit pricey for a cable, but it works perfectly.

#4 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

An ST-8300 requires only a single DC supply. A different kind of camera from the rest of the ST-series. The rest of the ST-latter series needed a +-12V split rail plus a +5V on the inputs.

Joe

#5 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have spoken with SBIG and they've confirmed that they cannot help me. They suggested placing a wanted ad on Astromart, which I've done.

The AP power cable above will not work for my camera. The older ST cameras use a 5 pin cable that supplies both 12v and 5v. The connector for AP mounts is 12v only.

At this point, unless I can find a used power supply, it looks like I'm stuck with either an inverter or a different camera. The ST cameras are picky about power supplies and SBIG has advised me that a low cost square wave unit is not suitable. I've been using the big 2500 watt inverter on my motorhome, but the whole purpose of the change is to untether from the motorhome. And even if I could find a suitable inverter, I would like to avoid the inefficiency of such a unit.

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. I've been using SBIG cameras because of the high level of support that I've received in the past. This is the first case where they've thrown up their hands at supporting something that I purchased from them.

#6 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I noticed that too. I had a camera modded by them once. SBIG was unusual in this regard. They have removed all traces of the old cameras from their website. No manuals available. Very few of the manufacturers of telescope equipment are left doing these kinds of mods anymore. I worked for one such place just before 9-11. I was the last one he hired and had to let me go. He is down to 1/2 the employees since then and the shop is for sale. The economy.

Joe

#7 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Their info on old stuff is still available, including manuals. In fact the entire old version of their website is there.

Old site:
http://sbig.impulse.net/
Manuals
http://sbig.impulse....mls/manuals.htm

Rick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics