• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

i noticed some stuff on my Barlow. i tried wiping it with cotton but it wont move. is it from frost deposits?
I have not used any solvents or cleaned my EP yet, generally a sideways blow only.
Will get some lens cleaning stuff next time im out.

Attached Files

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

This looks like something has etched into the coatings. Not necessarily the white specs, these may clean off with ROR or Purosol--definitely try it. Those very tiny microscopic pits are what worry me. Should you try cleaning them with ROR/Purosol and it not work, try Pure Acetone (NOT finernail polish remover, but reagent grade--check a pharmacy or even a paint store). If they are still present..well, it's a good time to buy a new barlow......luckily, they're not as expensive as eyepieces (this isn't a powermate is it?)

#3 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yep, somethings been eating away at the coatings. Wonder what it was/is?

#4 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Always hard to tell from a photo, but I have had deposits like this before and have removed them. When you apply a solvent, like alcohol, for stains like these where they have been in place for a while you need to let the solvent sit on them for a while, 60 seconds or more, so it has time to dissolve them so they can be cleaned off. Since it looks like some of them have a spot of grit in the center, you don't want to press when you wipe as sliding these across the surface may scratch depending on their hardness. So put a generous amount of alcohol on the surface and let it sit a minute, then dab it dry and see if any of these have budged or dissolved. Repeat 2 or 3 times. If there is no grit on a particular spot it is fine to use some rubbing pressure with a clean Q-Tip. So if no grit on the spot then wet the Q-Tip and place on one of the spots and gently rub to see if it comes off.

Now not all things are dissolved by alcohol or other spirit solvents. Sometimes, if the sopt is organic in nature like tree sap, then saliva will usually get it off as your saliva obviousely has enzymes in it designed to dissolved (digest) organic material. So if the alcohol does not work, then wet a Q-Tip with some spit and dab it on a spot and let it sit a minute then rub it off with the wet Q-Tip. Your saliva rarely cleans completely off so then follow that with an alcohol application to get any stains left from your saliva drying on the lens.

With a combination of either alcohol or saliva or both, over the years I have gotten every stain off my optics. So no stain or other gunk has ever survived the alcohol and/or saliva treatment.

#5 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

thanks 1

im waiting for a reply from canadiantelescopes before i do that. Its basically new so i want to cover my bases first before tackling it. if the saliva does not work then have to wait till i get some alcohol.

#6 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

never got a reply from canadiantelescopes so i wiped it with saliva/Qtip, worked well :) need to get a blower, the hairs are starting to build up, one disadvantage to wearing wool lol.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Nice job. Wonder what it was....

#8 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

dont know, just very happy they left.
have to get a proper lens cleaning kit put together. ive been using the "Pen" cleaner for my camera lenses, anybody have experince with it on EP's?
http://www.studio1pr...com/lenspen.htm

ive been using my glasses cleaning cloth on the EP's.

#9 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Some people swear by them, some about them. I personally just use q-tips, cotton balls, and Purosol, and a rocket blower. And to be truthful, I don't clean eyepieces often, only after I notice something on the eyepiece, and I only do what is necessary to remove the contaminant (i.e. a spec that blew off with the rocketblower, I'll stop). If I have something so bad, where I don't want to chance it, I'll take it to the scope shop, where they have all the proper equipment.

#10 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

my rule is also not to wipe unless nessesary and use the brush. The rocket blower ive been wanting to get for a while now but dont see it in the stores, not wanting to get it online since shipping can be a problem with high costs.
I ordered a adapter ring for filters 49-52 and the shipping was double the actual ring cost, could have just special ordered it from local store.

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Cheap solution for the rocket blower: Go to any store that sells baby items. There is a rubber blower they use for cleaning nasal passages, no difference except how they label it. The only advantage the rocket blower has is that it can sit on its legs, the baby blower doesn't have legs (usually). The baby blower is also probably a lot cheaper. If unsure what I'm talking about--ask a mother....

p.s. this is definitely one item you DON'T want to buy used....

#12 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

lol, thanks!

#13 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

:)

#14 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

i wiped it with saliva/Qtip, worked well

Don't do this after eating chili. :grin:

#15 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

no, it was before lunch :)

#16 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Best to do after a bottle of Rebel Yell, it sterilizes the Q-tip dontchaknow......

#17 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

lol, i dont drink so have to use something less taste :)

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

One does not "drink" Rebel Yell.....It works best by removing the mouthcap and holding it upside down till the bottle is empty.....May take 2 or 3 tries before the views in the eyepiece are acceptable.........

#19 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

lol :)

#20 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Clean my eyeglasses every day sometimes twice. Use the windshield washer/wiper in my car on most trips. Windex the kitchen when doing any serious birding.

Everybody's willing to look through filthy eyepiece and scopes. Love the for sale adds that state optics have never been touched, really.

Dereck

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics