29 replies to this topic

#26 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

You can see how prominent they are also in the infrared here:

http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap070121.html

IMO this pair is one of the most interesting objects I've ever seen, and it's not even cataloged. I predict it will show an AGN spectrum at high redshift. And if it does, you cannot say this is across the universe - this is a low surface brightness dwarf pair that are clearly part of some phenomenon that involves both equally - this is not a random encounter, but a fission of a galactic nucleus. The third member of the group is also extremely interesting, because it shows the bare nucleus glowing deep red with a ring-like structure around it and another nearby nuclear object.

-drl

#27 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

My ST3 lists several LEDA galaxies (some without parameters) but nothing lines up with that pair (and it sure does like as you describe as two near face on). Makes me wonder if just getting a good survey designation of the area might be worth it? maybe just from existing Hubble data?

#28 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Let's go big. We even have a galaxy expert here - can't remember his handle off hand. Let's get a spectrum!

-drl

#29 Carl Coker

Carl Coker

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I really don't think there's anything particularly noteworthy about them, honestly. It looks to me like your fairly standard merger of two spirals. They show up in everything from mid IR to X-ray. They are fairly UV bright, indicating that their redshift cannot be very high; if it was, GALEX probably wouldn't be able to see them well due to self-extinction in the Lyman bands. The X-ray detection indicates probable AGN activity, which would be expected in a merger.

Additionally, Hubble shows the galaxies as fairly blue in some regions, indicating a high rate of star formation. This is consistent with their mid-IR emission (lots of dust associated with star formation and chemical evolution) and the probable merger activity. I don't see any reason to believe there is any sort of relativistic ejection behavior of large-scale masses, which would be required for any part of the spectrum to show a high redshift. I would instead expect the far UV and X-ray spectra especially to show a blueshift of some kind, since both spirals are nearly face-on and the AGN jets would be probably be pointed towards us.

If someone feels inclined to write a proposal, it might get accepted, but not on a six meter like the MMT. Your best bet would be to request time on a one or two meter instrument, considering how bright the targets are.

#30 scopethis

scopethis

Cosmos

• Loc: Kingman, Ks

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

what ARE the names/classifications of those two galaxies??

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics