CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 Core in 30 seconds...meh.. Still needs work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

This is hard!
I have been trying to layer mask the core in with the surroundings and having mild success but it is proving to be very difficult.
I feel like it is so close to being good, but just can't quite get there. Nothing I can do about the trap being blown out, the stars are touching so I don't know how to reduce them, they bloated up with 30 sec exposures anyway. Next time I'll get some 10s subs.
I went to far with the sharpening then tried to compensate with noise reduction and my stars need some serious work, but I think I am close on the light/dark blending.
I plan to reprocess the whole thing from the start, but I wanted to share what I have so far and ask for opinions.
Any input would be helpful!
Canon XS
Meade 10" SCT .63 Focal reducer
DSS, StarTools and Photoshop
186 subs @ 30 sec unguided

Attached Files

#2 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

The blending of the layers looks really good. You should be happy about that for sure. As far as a critique on the rest of it, you hit the nail on the head already. To my eye, the noise reduction is too much and the dust lanes & nebulosity are too smooth...dial that back a touch and the whole image will "pop".

Looking forward to the reprocessed version.

Mike

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Agree, nice blending :) Is it possible to only process each the same way to a point and then do the blend and continue post processing if necc? i think the way it is adds a real 3D aspect, very artificial yet cool at same time!

#4 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Still working on it...kinda lost the green color in this one...

Attached Files

#5 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

nice and dramatic :)

#6 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yeah it's way over the top.
Iactually took this as part of a larger layer masking thing for Orion, shot the wider field with the ST80 and the close up so I could layer in the core...that is another work in progress...those stars need some SERIOUS work.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics