Photo

What is your most memorable Lunar sight?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight was a couple years ago: I have never forgotten, nor will I, the time I saw the Serpentine Ridge in Mare Serentitatis under the right light and shadow at only 180x with my 8" f/6 dob. Not only did it look 3-D but it looked like a double-braided rope, weaving in and out of the "sand". Amazing!

#2 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

A very crisp, clear image of Hadley Rille!!! (viewed through Ladd Observatory's 12" Brashear refractor!).....

#3 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Vallis Rheita - It was if I was looking through a long canyon that had steep sides. The lighting and sun angle were so perfect that I'm not sure I'll ever see that view again. Lunar day 18, colongitude 134.0, 170x in my 8" dob.

#4 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have had a few in the last few years. One was a perfect night where my 1965 Celestron C10 gave me a fabulous view of Rima Marius, Rima Brayley, and the Prinz rilles.

The second was with my 10.25" F17 Dall Kirkham giving me a steady view of the rille in the Alpine Valley at about 455x.

Third was with my TV85 and seeing Mare Nectaris near the terminator and having shadow between it at the ridges around it, looking completely like an impact basin!

And I'm envious of Robert, that 12" Brashear at Ladd is a beautiful classic scope! I had a chance a few years back to admire it with a small group of friends from Skyscrapers for two nights hoping thunderstorms would clear to let us see Mars.

Dave

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Most recently - good seeing and excellent sun angle across the Hadley rille giving it a sculptural feel I hadn't seen quite they good before through my. 8". It handled 364x beautifully. Before that, seeing Catena Davy *resolve* through my 70mm. Of course the crater chain is made up of craters below the angular resolution of the 70mm but what it did resolve lent a glittering appearance as it wavered in and out with the seeing.

The first wow moment ever with the moon? Seeing Mare Crisium through binos 7x50 at 12.

Pet

#6 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Dave, so cool that you had a chance to see Ladd Obs. and the Brashear!! I'm sure you've also had the pleasure of checking out the 8" Alvan Clark at Skyscrapers' Seagrave Observatory!! Both are awesome scopes and the owners do keep them in meticulous shape!! Hopefelly, you'll get to see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter in that Brashear, someday!!!

#7 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

• Loc: Northern New Jersey

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight didn't involve a scope at all. It's that weird illusion that can happen during the very early crescent at twilight when Earth shine illuminates the whole Moon and it appears to be a three-dimensional ball hanging just above the horizon. When it looks like the Moon is inside our atmosphere and you could reach up and touch it.

#8 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Mine came early on when as a kid with a 2.4 inch refractor. I got to see the Appenine mountains at lunar sunrise and realized that they were not just mountains but were actually a sharp gigantic ring-like escarpment that went much of the way around Mare Imbrium. This instantly told me that Mare Imbrium was an impact basin, as my Sky and Telescope issue from early in the previous year had highlighted the "bulls-eye" ring formations of the Mare Orientale impact basin. Another great early sight a few years later was a day or so past full moon with my 8 inch Newtonian when viewing the southern highlands along the lunar limb at 237x and 357x, getting an almost "side" profile view of the terraced interior of Boussingault and the rugged areas around it. That region is still one of my favorites to look at to this day, and now with my 14 inch, I can do so at some *very* high powers (over 800x one night). Clear skies to you.

#9 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

My most memorable lunar sight was watching sunrise on Mons Rumker.
It took several hours from beginning to end - absolutely stunning! :)

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

The first time I looked at the Aristarchus Plateau with an 8" Newtonian and an understanding of what I was seeing.

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Oh then there was that time Saturn grazed just *above* the moon some years ago - looked like a flying saucer. Amazing how low as turns surface brightness was to the moons brilliance.

Pete

#12 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I am torn, Charles, between two views that are etched in my mind. One occurred while using a single eyepiece. The other occurred while binoviewing.

In mono mode: A stunning Wather Ray event, during the night of July 24/25, 2008, ended when the setting sun's light narrowed to a laser-like sliver across the crater floor.

While binoviewing: An amazingly dark Schiller, with an illuminated rim, during the night of August 15/16, 2009. The crater hauntingly appeared as a sharply defined deep black pool floating on the Lunar surface.

#13 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

#14 SusanY

SusanY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

My most memorable sight of the moon was on 20 July 1969, as a little kid, lying on the grass in what was then Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), gazing at the moon and thinking, "Two Americans are walking on it right now."

#15 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Bobong: On July 20, '69, I was only 361 days old. They touched down back on Earth on my 1st birthday (07/24/69).

#16 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

#17 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

AWESOME!!....I can imagine how cool that would've been!! I've yet to witness that!!

#18 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

#19 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

Pete,
It's been, I believe, about two years. I'd have to check; but that's close.
(PM me for "the rest of the story")

#20 67champ

67champ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Probably to nobodys surprise, what I refer to as the Lunar X these days is my most memorable Lunar sight. It was summer, 1978 and I was a 15 year old kid that had no idea what that X-shape "thing" could be... I did not know that the illumination phase of the moon had anthing to do with being able to see it or not. Over the years I thought about that "X on the Moon" many, many, many times...

Life changing events of sorts brought me back to astronomy and that old friend in 2005. I'll never forget that first observation of the X and everytime I see it, even all these years later, I get that feeling of excitement and wonder that I felt back then. I guess that's why I just can't let it go..
:)

dana t

#21 mikewirths

mikewirths

Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

• Vendors
  • Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I think one of mine was spotting Rima Sheepshanks visually last year during very good seeing and using high power!

cheers

Mike

#22 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I have many favorites, but one experience that stands out is one night while I was observing for the RASC's Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Certificate. normally, I would "prep" inside for an hour during the day, then spend 40-60 minutes at the telescope. One night, the seeing was so good, just kept observing for hours, not wanting to step away, until I was literally falling asleep at the eyepiece!

Clear skies

Dave

#23 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

One night last year the seeing was nearly perfect. I was viewing mountain peaks at the terminator casting spectacular, shark-tooth shadows across maria and crater beds at over 700x with my 8" newtonian. I was also observing the undulating hills and mountains on the illuminated limb against the black sky at powers of 600x to over 800x, it was quite mesmerizing seeing how undulated the limb of the moon really is at 100x per inch in a Newtonian with essentially perfect seeing.

#24 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Mine was discovering the Walther Lunar Sunset Crater Ray, the first of the previously unknown lunar crater rays that I happened to chance upon. My friend Tony Donnangelo was even more successful than me in that endeavor.

http://www.lunar-occ...rays/walter.htm

http://www.lunar-occ...o/rays/rays.htm

http://www.lunar-occ...nsonarticle.htm

Dave Mitsky

#25 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

One experience that I will relay here that occurred to another observer who posted it on CN happened while observing a crater near the moons limb if I recall - some side elevation was seen. At any rate such was the focus and concentration this observer managed that amazingly the scope disappeared and he felt as though he were at the crater itself on the moon.
I mentioned that kind if focus and concentration was a kind of hypnosis (self) and that while it may have seemed odd it was the minds tunnel vision and sense of presence that brought it about in such an intimate way. I do wish I had that mans post to link here.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics