Binolux 7x50 Question?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi folks,
I have never been all that interested in binoculars, so any input on theses would be greatly appreciated.

My Dad gave theses to me years ago, and for the most part they stayed in a box in the closet. I am ashamed to say pretty much forgotten. A few month ago he passed away, and I was in the closet looking for something and stumbled across them.

Now he was a WWII Vet. as well as serving in the Korean War ( 20+ years on a diesel sub ) I am fairly certain he said he had them since WWII, but in all honesty I just can not remember. It is beside the point, but I thought some history on them should be noted.

Anyhow, the case is in horrible condition but the binoculars themselves are in pristine shape. I have thoroughly inspected the glass and there isn't even a fingerprint on them.

The only markings are:

next to left EP - Binolux, Coated
next to the right EP - 7x50, Lightweight, 367 ft at 1000 Yds, No E7-72594

Are they anything special, meaning are they vintage, rare etc... ( beside the obvious sentimental )? Is there anything any of you can tell me about them?

Appreciate any input,
TIA!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

They look like a classic mioj with a sharp flat image and built like a tank. They have little value on the used market but a nice example though.

#3 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

They look like a classic mioj with a sharp flat image and built like a tank. They have little value on the used market but a nice example though.

Oh, no no I would never sell them! I was more interested in terms of learning anything I could about them.

Thank you very much for your input on them, very much appreciated! :)

#4 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Simon comments are dead on. I've had perhaps 25 binolux in the past.Easy to find on ebay,yard sales,flea markets etc.Nice Japanese glasses with some models being significantly better than others. Typical of upper 'low end' Japaneses glasses of thier time.Seems like the last one I had was a single frame design with very solid performance.

#5 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hello Chris,

Check the case for markings. I suspect that it might be of military issue. Perhaps,there will be a name on the compass. If so, the case may be as valuable as the binocular.

Clear skies,
Arhur

#6 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Thanks everyone,

Arhur, I looked all over the outside and inside of the case. No markings on the outside at all and all that is on the inside, is the Binolux name on the underside of the lid embossed in the red velvet.

Like I said, they are in very good condition, no scuffs on the body at all and the lens are still mint.

Now that I have them out, I may start taking them out and using them while I image. I hate to just see them sit in a box anymore, when I can enjoy them.

#7 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Enjoy using them. Probably every time you use them it might bring back some precious memories.

I have a 7x50 Meibo, marked "Made in Occupied Japan" that looks VERY similar, as well as the case.

#8 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Enjoy using them. Probably every time you use them it might bring back some precious memories.

My Thoughts exactly, thank you VERY much! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics