• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hi All,

Imaged Saturn this morning in reasonable seeing, the best thus far for this apparition.

There is just so much to see in the animation of my RGB data. There is considerable structure in the great storm remnant with multiple compact brighter spots along it. The remnant has grown noticeably thinner from what it was prior to Solar conjunction. The NEB also has multiple bright spots within it. The longer I look the more I can make out.

The sharp edges of the hex are obvious. I have put together an animation of the polar projection maps from each of the 3 RGB data sets.

It is very interesting comparing the Sys II rate of rotation bordering the hex with the Sys III rotation of the hex.

Regards
Trevor

Attached Files

#2 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

RGB02

Attached Files

#3 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

RGB02map

Attached Files

#4 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

RGB03

Attached Files

#5 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

RGB animation

Attached Files

#6 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Just wonderful Trevor !!
Keep looking at those animations as well.
Indeed the longer you look the more you see, the eyes have to be adjusted to the rotation speed a bit and then
you see the storm structures very well.

#7 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

polar projection animation. Had to reduce the quality substantially to post here.

Attached Files

#8 Tassydevil

Tassydevil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

As always Trevor very nice,seems like its going to be a great saturn season this time around, keep em coming always enjoy your work.

#9 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

So clear! wonferful!

#10 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

• Loc: Norway

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Amazing images!

#11 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well, I think at this point any doubt that the hex is being imaged is now gone. Amazing set of images :)

#12 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Super detail Trevor! Those animations always give the data an extra dimension.

#13 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Stupendous. Those are really fantastic images and the animation is beyond belief (well, not literally).

#14 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Rich images...had conditions been a tad better, I think Enke division would be visible. There seems to be a hint of it. Interesting projection maps, too. (Still have to produce one with my data.) If I'm not mistaken, the hex is rotating at a different rate? Thanks for sharing, Trevor.

#15 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Mind boggling!

Paul

#16 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Post deleted by lcd1080

#17 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Most amazing images Trevor. So many details pops up in the animation.

Nice to follow your work with Saturn.

#18 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Trevor, Gorgeous image set! Banding detail, colors and projections are excellent. Very impressive work, thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#19 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Trevor I see your RGB images as having reached a new level of clarity. Previously the hexagon was obvious only from animations or polar projections. Now the hexagon is obvious in your RGB still shots. Thus I believe your images break new ground in the race to image the polar geometry.

Pete

#20 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Excellent! The best hex yet - and I mean that in a good way. :)

Glenn

#21 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

And I kept calling it an octagon. Brilliant work.

I'd be interested to know whose ever seen that visually.

Pete

#22 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thanks very much Freddy, so much happening in the NEB and just how thin has the Great Storm Remnant become. I think the polar projection provides a most interesting perspective of just how far North the storm remnant really is while the animation of the polar projection provides a fascinating insight into the difference between the rotational rate of the storm remnant (Sys II) and that of the Hex (Sys III).

Thanks very much Graeme, Saturn is rising higher and the seeing is getting better, cannot wait for a dose of fairdinkum good seeing.

Thanks very much Sam, appreciate your comment.

Thanks very much Chris, hope your keeping warm.

Thanks very much David, well, it certainly has straight sides and but for the back side of it being in shadow, I suspect it would have six.

Thanks very much Stuart, I am a big fan of animations, they help so much in determining what is noise and what is detail.

Thanks very much Paul. B, you are to kind Sir.

Thanks very much Paul, I think the multi data set derot approach could have an effect on the Encke. Just 1 pixel error in the alignment of the various multi data set channels is going to smear such a fine feature. When I get some really good data I will either just go with individual data sets, as per the past apparition, or be much more fastidious using multiple data sets. You are spot on regarding the different rotational periods, the EZ is Sys I the rest of the surface is Sys II while the internal rotational rate is Sys III. The Voyager probes established the Voyager SLS rotational system but over time the rotational period has become uncertain. The important thing about the vertices of the Hexagon is that it's rotational period is thought to be tied to that of the internal rotational period (Sys III) A long term study of the vertices could result in reestablishing a new updated and correct rotational period.

Thanks very much Paul. M.

Thanks very much Lars, this was my first better than ordinary data for the apparition.

Thanks very much for your very kind words Steve.

Pete, your are to kind. I believe in keeping things in perspective and to that end keep a folder on my computer, in it is, in my opinion, the best Saturn image ever taken from Earth. It is by Damian Peach and was captured in Barbados 2006_04_11 yep in 2006. Just take a moment to think about the cameras and processing software that was around in 2006 compared to what we have and use now. I also have the Jupiter image taken by Anthony Wesley from Exmouth 2010-06-30 which again, in my opinion, is the best Jupiter image I have seen. Regarding Anthony's image, I have also been fortunate enough to see the individual channels and to run the raw data as video. It really does keep me grounded whenever I think I have produced a good image to open up that folder and compare it with the work of the masters of our craft. Further to your comments I have attached a link to PVOL, go to the images section and open the PVOL images link and look at Damian Peaches Saturn RGB from the 27th December 2012, it is a stunner, captured while he was on holidays in Cyprus over Christmas with Saturn at an alt of only 34 degrees. When you open the image don't forget to click on the "Show real size image" tab that is in blue print above & to the left of the image. Also note that the Hexagon at the North pole is well defined with nice sharp edges.
http://www.pvol.ehu....jsp?action=iopw

Thanks very much Glenn, just so long as I don't fall off my broomstick, I recall young Harry Potter having a few problems with a Hex'ed broomstick during a Quidditch match. :roflmao:

Thanks very much Pete, well, the edge of the Hex was showing up in last years data from at least August, a look over on the PVOL data base will confirm that. It is pretty safe to assume that the last time the North pole was open with respect to Earth, over 30 years ago, no one saw the Hex and to be honest about this neither have we, yet. The ring tilt is currently just over 19 degrees and we are seeing maybe just over half of the Hexagon in our images. At some point between now and mid 2016, when the ring tilt will open to just over 26 degrees, the entire Hexagon will be visible. What a challenge that would be with good seeing and good optics, to visually glimpse it.

#23 anemec

anemec

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Great images. The animation really brings out a whole slew of details. Wonderful job.

#24 CanaryMax

CanaryMax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gran Canaria, Spain

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Great job!

#25 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks very much Adam, movement is the key to highlighting detail and if the conditions allow for the capture of multiple data sets then animating the data is the way to go.

Thanks very much CM, appreciate your comment.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics