Photo

Atlas Latitude Reinforcement Modification?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I remember a while back finding a thread on how to loosen the stiff latitude pivot, as well as reinforcing the soft surface ( the bolts push on ) using epoxy and strips of sheet metal ( probably not the exact materials, but that's why I am looking for it ). Then replacing the latitude adjustment bolts with stronger ones, that are easier to grip.

Sound familiar to anyone?

I didn't want to do it while it was under warranty leading to it being void. It has been over a year now, so no warranty anymore and I think it is time to go through with it.

I am not talking about a hypertune, just the lat. modification. Even if you don't know the thread in question, but know the procedure ( with images preferably ) that will work as well.

TIA!

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

It's not terribly difficult. You have to pop the plastic caps off both sides of the base (sometimes they come off easy, other times it can be very difficult to get them off without damage). Remove the 3 set screws and the axle and disassemble the base (there is a metal pressure plate and plastic bearing on the side with latitude makings and a large plastic bearing on the other side). Drill and tap the set screw holes for thumb screws (I use 1-inch long, 1/4-20 thumb screws). You could just use M5 thumb screws and not have to drill and tap, but metric thumb screws are impossible to find locally, so you would have to order them. Drill three holes in the plastic cover with the latitude markings on it to match the thumb screw locations. Reassemble the mount base and reglue the plastic covers on. Install the three thumb screws and that's it.

#3 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Ed!

That helps a good bit, now I just need to find out about the type of metal and epoxy to use for the reinforcement part of the Mod. I will keep looking, thanks again!

#4 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Thanks Ed!

That helps a good bit, now I just need to find out about the type of metal and epoxy to use for the reinforcement part of the Mod. I will keep looking, thanks again!

What is it that you are looking to reinforce? That is not something that I have done.

#5 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Check page 4 of this thread at SGL. They are discussing the modification to the altitude tab EQ6.

http://stargazerslou...e-bolts/page...

Similar topic here in french but photos explain it well.

http://www.webastro....ead.php?t=94319

This link shows a photo for a similar solution.

http://alain.zwingel...ds/IMG_0391.jpg

Hope these help and point in the right direction. There are doubtless other ways of doing this. A wedge shaped piece of steel or aluminium, maybe with a curved inner surface machined or ground and polished, could be either JBwelded on or attached with counter sunk cap screws into bored and tapped holes.

#6 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Check page 4 of this thread at SGL. They are discussing the modification to the altitude tab EQ6.

http://stargazerslou...e-bolts/page...

Similar topic here in french but photos explain it well.

http://www.webastro....ead.php?t=94319

This link shows a photo for a similar solution.

http://alain.zwingel...ds/IMG_0391.jpg

Hope these help and point in the right direction. There are doubtless other ways of doing this. A wedge shaped piece of steel or aluminium, maybe with a curved inner surface machined or ground and polished, could be either JBwelded on or attached with counter sunk cap screws into bored and tapped holes.

For most people, this type of modification is unnecessary. Unless you are located at a very northern (or southern) latitude that the mount base cannot reach without encountering the rear adjustment bolt, this modification is not really necessary. While the angle of the bolt to the tounge is not ideal, once you fix the axis so that the bolt can be turned without applying so much pressure, the potential for bending the bolt is greatly reduced. I've seen a couple discussions on this type of modification, but I have yet to encounter anyone that needed it. I have encountered a number of bent bolts and gouged tongues, but they were the result of the base being too tight to adjust in the first place.

Were I in a situation where I felt it necessary, I would go with the modification shown on the French page (although I'm not sure why someone in France would have needed to do this). Anything glued would have to be made to conform to the shape of the base which would be more difficult.

#7 NorthBoundTrain

NorthBoundTrain

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the links! That is similar to what I was looking for, though the mod I saw a year or so ago was even easier to do.

I understand what you are saying Ed, the south facing side of my tongue does have a small gouge in it from what I can see through the bolt hole ( from how stiff it was when I first got it )it does not affect performance and has since became a bit more loose, but having MS it's still very hard for me to grip and turn it.

Loosening the joint will help tremendously ( at least in my case ) and I may just leave it at that. I will have to wait and see.

I wish it was as smooth as my old SVPro, I can turn the bolts with my pinky. :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics