Photo

Siebert Optics 1.25X-3.5X Multi-Mag ROCKS!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

I just picked up one of these from a fellow cloudynighter for $60. Thanks Patrick! I tested it out last night on my dob and was able to get a clean crisp focus at each magnification. Before, I had to use my 2" 2X barlow to reach focus with the dob and it was actually giving me more like 5X magnification. It was nice to get a semi-wide fov (0.88*) using the stock William Optics 66 degree 20mm eyepieces that came with my binoviewers and the 1.25X Siebert Optics corrector.

I'd still like to get another ES82 14mm to get to 300X in the dob using the 3.5X corrector. I'd also like to get a pair of longer focal length eyepieces to get a little wider fov. Something relatively cheap in the 25mm 66 degree afov range to give me something around a 1.1 degree true fov. Any suggestions on what will work with my WO binoviewers?

Also, does anyone know if I can get some type of reducer for using these with my SCT scopes? I have a Celestron f/6.3 reducer/corrector but havent had a chance to try it yet with the binoviewers. Has anyone tried this?

#2 StevenYood

StevenYood

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'd call Harry and ask about it. He builds all of the stuff that comes out of his shop, so I'm sure that he could do a custom job if your require it.

Steve

#3 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just tested this out on my little apo and got the 1.25X, 3X, and 3.5X configurations to work great. For some reason the 2X OCA isnt anywhere near focus. A little disappointed but still feel this is a great thing to have.

I see Harry has a 0.6X OCA for SCT's. I'll probably purchase that someday soon to use with my SCT's if the binoviewers wont work with my Celestron reducer/corrector. Hoping to try that soon.

#4 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'd call Harry and ask about it. He builds all of the stuff that comes out of his shop, so I'm sure that he could do a custom job if your require it.

Steve

May have to try that. He doesnt seem to want to answer emails much. I have several questions for him.

#5 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Soyuz

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Harry is much easier to reach via telephone than email, plus he is a very interesting and engaging guy to chat with.

FWIW, I also have his multi-mag OCA for my WO binoviewer and I am very impressed with it. Back in the day I also had his 2" multi-mag OCA for a TV Binovue, an it was even more impressive.

#6 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yes, I'm finding it hard to do much viewing with a single eyepiece anymore! Got out last night for some quick views. The Double Cluster for one was just amazing. Its like seeing things again for the very first time. Really liking the binoviewing now since I got the multi-mag. Still cant get to 2X to work with my refractor though. I need to get the SCT's out (darn clouds!) soon and try some binoviewing with them. I am sure I will want to buy his 0.6X reducer for them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics