• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm very happy I bought the "Planet Killer" from Stellarvue, even if it's a bit more pricey

Personally I would not have a problem paying more for a telescope that was tested and certified as such, as long as it came with documentation.
Over the years it would have saved me thousands of dollars,

Steve

#52 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

;)$500-$600 for the same or almost same 4" achromatic refractor OTA? Sure, better than $800. Still, I wouldn't pay for it even $500, having in mind how much pretty good (for an average Joe) 4" ED doublets cost these days like, for example, SW 100ED. But I'm sure many will buy 'cause it's branded SV...

I seriously considered the SW100ED and it is a great value. But for my situation I chose the longer focal length AT102 for several reasons. The mechanicals are a step above the Synta, and the longer fl will have lesser abberations, except for CA of course. Also I didn't need the accessories that come with the Synta. If CA was the only factor I would have bought the SW (Synta).

Every scope is a compromise. The compromises chosen by Kunming for the AT102F11 were a better fit for my needs. The new Stellarview version with it's removable tube section to facilitate binoviewers is of no value to me, but the great R&P focuser is. So I bought the HOO version and am very pleased. Is it "better" than the SW100ED? In some ways yes, in a few ways no. But it suits my needs a bit better and it's about the same price.

#53 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

"The 2.5in. SV focuser is made at SV in Auburn."

BALONEY!

It is made in China and imported by Stellarvue, APM and others. The 6" f/5.9 Astrotelescopes comes with the SV-branded 2.5" R&P. APM sells many scopes with the exact same focuser, sans the "SV" logo.

APM's version of this Chinese unit.

http://www.apm-teles...cessories/Fo...

I find that you often have to read Stellarvue statements two or three times to pick up on the subtleties of what is actually being claimed. Maybe they bolt the focusers to the tube in Auburn. I'd buy that. :grin:

Regards,

Jim

#54 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

The Kunming 4" achro I used had better optics than any of three Synta 100EDs I've owned and used. I'd rather have an achro with a better figure than an ED doublet with a worse one, personally, even at identical price. The mechanicals on the Astrotelescopes and SV tube, too, are lightyears ahead of the mechanicals on the Synta ED doublets (other than those with Long Perng Tubes, such as the EON 120ED).

Regards,

Jim

#55 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

I find that you often have to read Stellarvue statements two or three times to pick up on the subtleties of what is actually being claimed. ...

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

in your APM link, I am trying to find the subtlety of the message "To be able to compete with other manufacturers APM-Telescopes decided to create together with scilled Amateurs his own Series of high end focusers, which comes very close in the quality to Starlight, but at a much lower price.."

#56 ngc2289

ngc2289

Gemini

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

No baloney Jim! I am trying to find the announcement on the SV forum right now. Vic stated they added another lathe to make these focusers, but I can't remember how far back this was. I will keep looking.

#57 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

I'd rather have an achro with a better figure than an ED doublet with a worse one, personally, even at identical price.

Regards,

Jim

I'd have to agree with you.
There are far worse aberrations than a little false color.

Steve

#58 dakota

dakota

Mariner 2

• Loc: SD (God's Country)

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I have 2 Stellarvue and 1 Astrotelescope refractors. All 3 have the 2.5 Stellarvue focusers. This is a great focuser when I compare it to the one on the SW80ED I had at one time. Personnally I don't care if the focuser was made in Auburn, in China or at the Willie Wonka Chocolate Factory. It does what it's built for and does is well. My experience with Stellarvue has been great and I can't say anything bad about Vic, his company or his employees.

My 2 :penny: :penny:

#59 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Guess my last post yesterday hit a nerve with the SV fanboys. I am glad that those who have a SV scope are happy with their purchases. I just think their are too many instances with the company to trust buying one of their products. If I am going to pay a premium for a product it needs to distinguish itself, and claims testing just isn't enough. But in the end what one sees at the eyepiece of their scope is what is important and is an individual choice when it comes to value.

#60 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

It's baloney, no matter what was implied on the SV forum. Vic has a tendency to stretch his own involvement in the fabrication of SV scopes. This has been the case for a very long while. Perhaps SV machines the rings needed to adapt the focuser to the rear of the tube assembly. But truly these focusers, used by SV, APM and others, are made in China, not Auburn. My suspicion is that you've been misled by innuendo that hints at but does not directly claim a larger role in their manufacture. Vic doesn't lie. Vic merely says things in a manner that leads readers to an incorrect, but very favorable to Stellarvue, conclusion. IMO this tactic has held the company back more than it has helped. It has divided owners and users into those who drink the Koolaid and those who do not. Our hobby attracts many astute and discerning people who are turned off by having smoke blown up where it does not belong. I really wish he'd just quit the nonsense, speak literally about the products or not at all, and allow them to sell themselves on their actual virtues rather than on the basis of implication and induced mistake.

The focusers are very nice. I commend the Chinese maker on a job well done. I commend Stellarvue and APM for having the good sense to offer these as a lower cost alternative to Feathertouch focusers, too. However, I do not condone misdirection about the origins of these focusers. Particularly when the misdirection results in prospective purchasers believing something that is both (a) factually untrue and (B) advantageous commercially for Stellarvue relative to its competitors who didn't engage in such misdirection.

I'd love to read the post you refer to.

Thanks!

- Jim

#61 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

"Personnally I don't care if the focuser was made in Auburn, in China or at the Willie Wonka Chocolate Factory."

That's wonderful. However, when a manufacturer misdirects the buying public with respect to facts that do matter to some buyers (Made in America versus Made in China or custom built in small batches by craftsmen rather than mass-produced by automation, for example), that manufacture competes unfairly with other manufacturers who sell similar scopes with similar origins but do not use innuendo to imply things about the nature and origin of their scopes that are untrue. If you were someone who chose a Stellarvue over an APM or Astro-Tech scope, for example, because you were lead to believe that the scopes were hand made in small batches using optics and focusers made here in the US, and paid a small premium for that scope on the basis of that belief, you might not be so magnanimous, even if the scope were a good one, should you later discover that one of the prime reasons you chose the SV scope and to pay the higher price was factually baseless.

Me? If that happened to me I would be scratching my head asking myself how it was that I came to hold a false belief about my scope, who lead me astray and how did they do it? I have a hard time buying (even good stuff) from sources that aren't 100% crystal clear, factual, precise and direct in their claims and communications about their products. But that's just me. I'm not a member of P.T. Barnum's target audience, I guess. :grin:

- Jim

#62 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Jim,
I made a reference to the Ed Ting review about one of the early SV 80mm scopes being stopped down and Vic's testing of scopes. Apparently I shouldn't have... Ironically that review has been mentioned a few times in this forum. I stand by what I said then and what I said in an earlier post today. Picking a scope is an individual choice. Value is an individual choice.

#63 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I don't think Vic at Stellarvue has a monopoly on puffery and hyperbole in marketing claims. Note, however, that nothing in APM's statement claims that the focusers are made in the US or Germany. I would like to see that SV forum posts mentioned by the other CNer where Vic supposedly claimed that he was making these focusers in-house, in Auburn. I strongly suspect that when we read the actual statements in that post, they will be slippery as a buttered eel held with chopsticks. Auburn, California, bred eel, churned butter and manufactured chopsticks, of course. :winky:

- Jim

#64 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Found this post and from what I read quickly say's it's a Long Perng focuser.

http://tech.groups.y.../message/124430

Nothing wrong with the SV achro offering as you get what you pay for, imo. :grin:

#65 dakota

dakota

Mariner 2

• Loc: SD (God's Country)

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Post deleted by KWB

#66 ngc2289

ngc2289

Gemini

• Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Jim I may have to eat my words on the focuser issue. The original announcement was in a SV AllStars bulletin. In the original notice he does not claim in house production. Vic does not say where the focuser is produced but you can infer that it is made in China. I think later he announced that a new CNC machine had been purchased, and that production had been moved in house. But like I said I may be wrong. I will look for that announcement on in house production for another 24 hours.

#67 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

As Jim stated, the focusers are imports, they are perfectly good for the job in hand, one would assume if a Made In USA focuser was wanted then you could upgrade to the Feather Touch,Stellarvue scopes in general are a mix of domestic and imported parts, some assembly is done in the USA, with the very high end expensive instruments you get more domestic parts than the cheaper scopes, the now discontinued ED70 was 100% imported, DA.

#68 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

This thread is now being returned for our enlightenment and the respectful exchange of ideas.

A reminder here is to play nice and to be respectful as to the opinion of others,whether agreed upon or not,needs to prevail. Sound fair? Disrespectful posts or name calling will be removed at once without warning. The original topic about this new acro refractor is most interesting and it's hoped here we will venture back down that path.

#69 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

http://tech.groups.y.../message/124430

To bad about the dew sheild on the SV version. The 10" long retractable one on my Astro Telescope version (that has a very competent 2" crayford on it, no idea who made it ;) ) is really nice in a climate like mine, where there is a lot of dewing.

#70 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Guys, one last plea from the moderator team to "play nice," cut out the personal attacks, and please get back to the original topic (i.e., discussing the new SV 102mm f/11 scope). There is a lot of good information being discussed here, and it would be a pity if this thread ended up getting locked. Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics