Photo

Intro and question...What's my ETX-90 worth?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ben J S

Ben J S

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hello,
My name is Ben, I'm new to the site, and this is my first post/introduction. I currently own a Meade ETX-90 with Auto Star. I’ve had it for several years but haven’t gotten as much use out of it as I’d of liked so I’m still a beginner. Unfortunately when I initially bought it I failed to realize my situation wasn’t ideal for using a telescope. I almost immediately found that traveling a significant distance to a good viewing spot (due to BAD light pollution) and waiting for the scope to cool down when I got there made things a bigger ordeal than I would be able to partake in. The interest never died, I just couldn’t find the time.

A recent move has put me in a much better position to do more observing, and these days I have more free time so my interest has grown stronger than ever. My new living situation has tons of room for storage, and great viewing conditions right in my back yard. All that being said, I am starting from square one by pursuing a bigger less portable scope (8” Dob).

The question is how much is my ETX-90 Worth? I have used it only a few times and it’s in excellent shape. I bought it around 2002 (not 100% sure there) and within a month it was put in a foam packed hard case (which I’m keeping for other uses), and stored in the basement where it was always cool and dry due to the fact that we run a dehumidifier 24/7. I always expected to use it again, but never did and it’s been there ever since. I broke it out for testing last week and it still looks and works like new. I will be selling it with the #884 Tripod, the Autostar controller, the standard controller, a dew shield, a 26MM EP, and a power cord that can be plugged into a regular outlet or a cigarette lighter.

Since I’m still a beginner my budget for the next scope is in the $350 to $400 range, and I’m hoping to put a dent in that by selling the ETX. I also have 8 Meade 4000 Series Super Plossl EPs with a Meade metal case that were bought as a kit. I would like to keep the metal case, but I’m trying to decide what to do with the eyepieces. I may keep a couple to use with the Dob but I’m not sure. I’m likely going to end up with an Apertura AD8 which comes with 9mm and 30mm eyepieces. Will these be comparable to the Meade EPs I already have?

How can I get the most money for what I have? Should I sell it all as a package and include all of the Meade EPs with the scope? Will I gain more by breaking it up?

In short…I’m trying to figure out how I can put the biggest dent possible in the purchase of my new scope. The bigger the better, especially considering the fact that if I can make a big enough dent, it may push me to go with a 10” Dob instead of an 8”.

Also, what would be the best way to sell it?

Your thoughts on any aspect of my situation (whether it be my choice for a new telescope, of how to get the most money for my current equipment, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

In good condition with accessories, maybe a couple of hundred. Maybe. Probably makes more sense to hold onto it for use as your grab and go scope.

#3 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I was watching them on Ebay for a while, $150-$300 seems to be about the right range, depending on accessories, feedback, etc.

About the extra eyepieces, I don't think adding one or two eyepieces will get you much extra money, but it might make someone pick your scope to bid on over the scope with only the stock Meade 26mm.

Edit - OK, I looked up that Meade kit. I am thinking you could possibly include the 9.7, 32, and 40mm and never miss them. That 32 and 40 will have about the same TFOV. The Aptura 30mm is a 2" 68deg AFOV, and will be a wider view than either of the Meade plossls...

Last - I do have an ETX90. If you use it often enough to stay quick at setup, and the internal batteries work and you can use them, then it would make a decent grab-n-go. However, for me, I use my 10" dob 9 our of 10 times out, so I get rusty at seting up the up ETX, plus I need external power, so on the nights I try to use it, I end up frustrated. If I had to pick only of of the two scopes to keep between the ETX90 and my Coulter 10.1, easy choice, I keep the Dob.

#4 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I agree with Rod they are perfect for a quick look,
also will develop lines at the family picnic.
I still have mine from the late 90's. non Autostar and have turned it into my primary Solar scope and for Land and Bird viewing.
Keep it and save up for a couple more months, you will be glad you did in the long run.
good luck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics