• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Aloha, I know many people (including me) have posted about mounts for the binoculars; this time I think I may have something slightly different. I was wondering if anyone has advice and/or suggestions as to mounting binoculars in the back of a pick up truck. Recently I have found that laying in the bed of the truck and looking up to be a good way for more extended observations. I was wondering if anyone has built a mount before for a pick up bed. If it helps I already have surf racks on the bed of my truck that I could build off of. Thanks CN

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

What size/weight binoculars are they? We had a thread recently about a clamp mount that could work nicely for you.

#3 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here's this http://www.manfrotto...rm-with-bracket I use it clamped to the back of a lawn chair and it handles my 10x50's fine :).... Phil

#4 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Here's a link that shows the clamp as well: http://www.manfrotto.com/magic-arm-kit

#5 stbehastx

stbehastx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hawai'i, Pale Blue Dot

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I saw that link and that is defiantly an option, I was wondering if anyone had built anything specifically for a truck bed. I guess I'm looking for more DIY type mounts to see what kind of creativity the CN community has. If no one has built anything I suppose I'm soliciting any brain storms people may have had...

Thanks all for all the responses thus far

#6 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I find that at 18.5" in length (with clamp), the Magic Arm is not quite long enough to really be comfortable sitting behind nor articulate enough in that configuration (back of a lawn chair). I haven't tried clamping it to a tripod beside me but that may make the arm extent too far to get any practical range of motion. Would be better still probably to have some kind of rigid PVC extension that would be in front for the arm to clamp to. Then it should be the cat's meow... Phil

#7 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I built an extension rearward, at one side of the top of a fiberglass truck bed cap, and have heaved the older , 65 pound, trunnion equipped first model Fuji 25 x 150 upward onto a fork mount whose azimuth bearing was at the height of the cab top and cap top.

One problem is clearance from the truck and its cap, which limits azimuth motion to perhaps 220 degrees ( so that the user is clear of the truck body), and the usual problem of neck discomfort at high angles of elevation with a straight-view telescope/binocular telescope.

A stepstool helps to reach low elevations, if the mount is high enough for standing use at 60 or 70 deg. elevation.

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I too once considered the usefulness and most appropriate design for such a contraption,but not owning a truck,decided just the purchase of a truck itself would likely render the project too expensive,especially if only to support binoculars that can be purchased for less than the cost of a quarter of a tank of fuel for the truck,had I not seen sense and gone ahead and bought one.

Kenny

#9 medinabrit

medinabrit

Viking 1

• Loc: medina ohio USA.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

I know the feeling Kenny .My truck has 26 gallon tank .Cost about 95 bucks to fill it cos it needs the high octane stuff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics