Thanks guys!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#27 Lt 26

Lt 26

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I looked at getting one but they are just to much money. For the same price you can get a SV70ED with a M1 mount on a S/S tripod with a nice diagonal.

Dereck

#28 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Well, I've got a Televue 70mm and its amazing. It does t fail - everything around it does, me, the seeing, the weather - but when alls a go - its exquisite. It's called a semi apo - I think that might be a misnomer as it doesn't contain fluorite but one element is special or some such. It IS incredibly sharp. You can get a full apo I suppose but I could care less as the riveting clarity has me a diehard fan. Not familiar with the 60mm but the Ranger is exquisite.

Pete

#29 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Try searching it on google...the search engine here is finicky at best. Google will lead you to articles and posts here on CN. Having read your introduction post, I don't think you will be happy with only 60mm's getting back into the hobby. Put the apo designation aside...it is not magic. You are on the right track thinking 5" Mak or perhaps a 6" SCT. These could easily be your one scope IMO. I like 6", because according to "The Backyard Astronomers Guide" 6" will get you a view of every type of object astronomy has to offer, excluding galaxy clusters...according to the table in the book anyways.

Having just pushed my Ranger like the second coming I will temper that with agreeing with the 6" sct being better. It has a definite clear advantage on everything over the 70mm. Literally all facets.

Pete

#30 johntrob

johntrob

Ranger 4

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Six inch aprerture vs 3. I cannot argue with that. I have a Pronto, it is small, but I do enjoy it. Would not mind a six inch refractor, but that is way in the future.

John
TV Pronto
Orange Tube C8
OT C90 x2
OT Cometron
C6N-GT
ETC

#31 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

I should clarify though I have the 6" and 8" the 70mm still sees a lot of use. It's too easy to set up and cools down in record time. Two things that are a major plus at the end of a long day or week as it were.

Pete

#32 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I think there comes a point in a stargazers life where they simply know what aperture satisfies their criteria for an enjoyable observing experience. This comes through experience...read: owning alot of different scope sizes and types! When a new person asks for advice on what is best to start with, can we really say with honesty that 60mm is best?!?! 6" has been the standard for years regardless of scope type, and for good reason. All around, it will satisfy! If one knows deep down they can't handle a 6" sct or a 5" mak, then by all means the smaller offering may then be best(for me the smallest that satisfies is 90mm)...and only THEY can answer that for themselves. I'm confident in saying that they will see alot in a 5" or 6" scope. I'm just as confident they will miss alot in a 60mm as their only scope! ;) Many of us cut our teeth with the 60 for years and most of us wouldn't go back, knowing what we now know about aperture. It certainly couldn't be my only scope...but I could be happy for a lifetime with a 5" refractor or a 6" catadioptric. YMMV :p

#33 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Id agree there. If I had one scope it wouldn't be 70mm - infact it'd be the 8". One thing that's not mentioned here as its not astronomy is the daylight applications of the 70mm are nothing short of fantastic. It's the go-everywhere s ope for everything. That I can look at cormorants on a lighthouse island 7 miles out to sea and then Cassinis division that night makes it a potent performer covering a lot of bases. Like u say its not a great ONLY scope but man does it get used!

Pete

#34 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Lots of choices out ther, Stellarvue have discontinued their ED70 however they are available from Astro-Tech and Williams, regarding the Ranger and Pronto, I had both at one time and would say at the risk of getting flamed that the modern ED70,s give a better image,DA.

#35 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

When a new person asks for advice on what is best to start with, can we really say with honesty that 60mm is best?!?!

The OP did not ask this question, he told us he had arrived at his decision and then inquired about a scope of that apeture.

#36 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

When a new person asks for advice on what is best to start with, can we really say with honesty that 60mm is best?!?!

The OP did not ask this question, he told us he had arrived at his decision and then inquired about a scope of that apeture.

+1 to this.

To the OP: I think that if you want a 60mm scope, you can hardly do better than the TV, a real little jewel.

Bill

#37 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ah, but the OP did ask the question...in his original post found here... Shortened link

Nor does KarlL state that a decision is made. He is considering a 60mm.

#38 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

But not in this thread.

#39 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

No argument there...I was simply following along with his decision process from this original post going beyond what is directly in front of me with his best interest in mind...I will excuse myself from further discussion.

#40 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

too small

#41 KarlL

KarlL

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I appreciate everyone's input.

Unfortunately, I am working with very little budget, and the Televue meets it pretty well. I might be able to squeeze a current Takahashi, but the finder and finder bracket are pretty expensive for what they are. I still have to pay for a diagonal and an eyepiece or two.

I should start lurking for something used.

Regards,

Karl

#42 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

There's a used finder and bracket for the Tak on the mart....

#43 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hello,
I've looked for Takahashi FS60, short focal ratio, and seen pictures muy.muy beautiful, aesthetically speaking, both wide field and lunar and planetary, however, are 60mm, and what we can not do is compare telescopes larger diameter.
I also commented that the images I saw this telescope, I liked more than the images provided by some larger telescope, less bright but more aesthetic ..!
Unfortunately I could not see for the TV60 .. I would really like!
a greeting

#44 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hello and Welcome Karl

My thoughts are provided that a 60mm telescope isn't one's primary or only telescope,there is not a thing wrong with choosing this particular model. A quality grab and go setup is nice thing to have in ones arsenal. Obviously using a small aperture scope isn't comparable as to what details can be resolved in a 5 to 6 inch or larger telescope scope,but that isn't always or even usually my objective when going out for many an observing session in my backyard. I'm wanting a setup that will be taken outdoors at the drop of a hat as to minimise the effort,one that requires little to no "cool down" time and with one short enough focal length as to priority for low power,widefield viewing using a 2 inch eyepiece. Adding a 2X barlow will still enable me to still split a fair number of double stars and observe the cloud bands on Jupiter. During the daytime these make handy and effective wildlife viewing scopes.

If I'm after trying to resolve globular clusters such as M13,obtaining the most detailed planetary views or trying to split the tightest double stars on a night of very steady seeing,this type setup never goes outdoors. A 10 to 12 inch dobsonian is the tool of choice for me,and it's important to choose the right telescope for the job. Owning more than one telescope is the key to enjoying this hobby IMO, as one telescope can't do it all.

Having said the above,this little telescope is on the pricey end of the scale as to my budget, for no more aperture that it has. I really like 60mm refractors, but just not for a $900.00 investment when purchased new. It is super compact in size,actually more compact than I need and I much prefer an 80mm aperture size for a grab and go type setup if more than $300.00 is going to be invested in a purchase,but that's just me.

What works for me may well not work for others,or yourself. :ubetcha: Good luck with your choice and enjoy! :)

#45 bob gunnerson

bob gunnerson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

The 60 mm Televue is an excellent little refractor in a very small package. I added a 30mm finder mounted on a bracket attached adjacent to the 60mm to be able to rapidly find new objects. It works great. Bob

#46 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hello,
I wanted to ask a few questions I have about this little TV 60:

-It is true that the grease in the focuser can get very stiff on cold nights?

-In daylight, is has the same
perfection in watching birds as the Swarovski(or any alpha spotting) spotting scopes.?

-The TV60's helical focuser has 1.5 turns. With This focuser, can be focus from infinity to 10 meters.
If the bird is nearer than 10 meters
then I have to use the extension tube.?
Thank you very much.

#47 John Rhodes

John Rhodes

Vendor (Televue Rep)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Torrance, CA.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Curiosidad,
I have used the TV 60 ( and the rest) down to freezing at the various star partys I go to from Oki-Tex to Table Mountain in Washington to RTMC at 7200 feet in Big Bear CA and never had the grease freeze.

Here is a good link to Cornell's ornithology report on our scope as used for birding... (great review btw)
http://televue.com/Birdscope/

The TV 60 has a built in draw tube that allows a close focus of about 10 feet last time I measured,...
Using our 60 degree diagonal and a 3.5 Nagler.

But it will depend on which components you are using it should be very close to that.
I focused on a spider in a bush 10 feet away at over 100X ... Amazing

#48 jca345

jca345

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Pennsylvania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Karl,

I am in much the same position as you and chose a Tele Vue 60 as my only scope. It's perfect for astro observations requiring fast setup/takedown in my driveway, yard, and local observing spot. It's also an amazing [although not weatherproof] spotting scope. The whole rig is light enough to hoof into the local woods, Hawk Mountain, or to French Creek State Park to observe wildlife. Plus, it's nice to have the option for using it as a telephoto photographic lens. The optics are close to perfect as long as the seeing conditions permit. It's a fast f ratio and takes a moderate amount of magnification very well [again, conditions permitting], and gives extremely sharp wide field/lo power views with a 32mm Plossl.

There are others here who offer some some logical reasons on why they wouldn't recommend a 60mm as their only scope, but from where I sit, it's difficult to argue why one wouldn't want this scope as their only scope! I say it's a great choice. The Tak is also a beautiful scope with similar attributes, but requires a larger investment. Eventually, I'd like a Tak for astrophotography/observation, but for now, this Tele Vue is the better choice for me based on price, performance, support, quality, portability, ease of use, versatility, supporting local/regional small businesses, etc.

#49 tlogan6680

tlogan6680

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Monterey, CA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

As I've said here before, I have a 10in. Dob, but the most enjoyable viewing of my 71 years was in the Australian outback under very dark skies with my TV 60mm and a 9mm Nagler
Just wonderful, even Omega centarii was partially resolved.
You will need a bigger scope but the TV 60 is the BEST grab and go I can think of.
Tom in CA

#50 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

I have owned a TV 60 7 months and have had a blast with it. WAY exceeded my expectations of what the scope is capable of. I have other scopes that are larger and probably would not recommend it as an only scope.
Here is my initial post from first light:

http://www.cloudynig...d=refractors...,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=5826433&Search=true&where=&Name=202541&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post5826433

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics