Input needed

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

WOOT!!! It arrived!!! :jump: :cool: Daughter helped me put it together. She is excited about what we can see tonight. I told her upfront that we have to get used to the controls and be patient. She understood. She said, "Dad, this a whole lot bigger then the other scope you bought a couple of years ago." I then told her, "This is a REAL scope. That other scope was just a toy."

Posted Image

I can say that this scope is about the size I expected and it's not really that heavy. I already used it through the front door to look at my neighbor's house across the street. It's supposed to be clear skies with about average seeing. Going to take it out around 6ish and let it cool down. Going to test the 2 or 3 star align. From what I can tell by Stellarium, Jupiter should be visible. Now I can't wait for it to get dark. Until then, I am off to the local craft store to see about getting some black poster board to make a dew shield out of it.

#27 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I recommend you use the auto two star align. This video and other Cloudy Nighters also say that is the one to use. You can practice the procedure in your house in the daytime. You'll also want to make sure your city or longitude and latitude are entered so you won't have to do that in the dark. Once your site location has been entered you can leave it alone unless you travel many miles away.

Jupiter and M42 will be the main attraction tonight. Congratulations on getting a very nice scope.

#28 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Get the 8" and lose the idea of the package deal - its a myth. Your package expands and morphs as long as you r in the hobby. I love my 6" sct but I already have an 8" reflector. Had I not,?itd be the 8SE. Eyepieces and power source-.get it along the way. If your into it you'll always buy something sometime for something.

When I bought my first tele I had the scope and AN eyepiece. The biggest best investment in a scope purchase is get only the scope and as much as you can afford and lift comfortably.

Pete

#29 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Get the 8" and lose the idea of the package deal - its a myth. Your package expands and morphs as long as you r in the hobby. I love my 6" sct but I already have an 8" reflector. Had I not,?itd be the 8SE. Eyepieces and power source-.get it along the way. If your into it you'll always buy something sometime for something.

When I bought my first tele I had the scope and AN eyepiece. The biggest best investment in a scope purchase is get only the scope and as much as you can afford and lift comfortably.

Pete

Well.. The only reason I got the kit was the price. It was only $100 more and it included eye peices, filters, etc. More then anything, I just wanted the eye pieces. Which I used tonight. My next purchase is going to be a good observing chair. My poor back. OW!!

#30 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

The kit is not a bad way to get started. You get exposed to a lot of different gear and get to see what you like and don't like. And for the money, you can't beat what you get.

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics